Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
    I was able to sync the WDEV audio with the USM video so I enjoyed the broadcast.. First period was out of sync by about 15 seconds, tweeked it to about one second in the second and got it right on in the third. A win is a win.
    I really need to start trying this.
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
      A) I somehow forgot how obnoxious the USM play by play guy is
      B) nice to see the good camo jerseys tonight, rather than the ugly gray camo
      C) we’re in trouble early on. USM dominated the 1st.
      Agree with all the above, from the only USM "fan" on the board...

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
        Once again we see what great goaltending can do. Last week we lost because of it and this week we won because of it. Ostepchuk came up huge a number of times after USM tied the game at two. Perhaps the quantity of saves wasn't there like the UNE goalie, but he made a number of quality stops. Especially with this that flurry of saves at around 14:00 in the third.

Bottomline, if you want to win the conference, then this is the type of games you have to win. Or perhaps more accurately, the games you can't afford to lose. So kudos to the team for taking control in the last 10 minutes and doing what they had to to get the win.

But I'm still concerned that this team remains the most undisciplined Cadet team I remember seeing in my near decade of watching them now. It's not so much the number of penalties, though that is a problem, but what they're taking them for.

Last week, UNE scored the lone goal of the game on a powerplay after Downs got frustrated after taking a hand to the face and retaliated by low-blowing the player with his stick. Tonight Jackson took a completely unnecessary hit from behind penalty late in the second that luckily didn't come back to bite. Then, in the third, immediately after taking a 2-1 lead, the Cadets go on the powerplay with the momentum and chance to score a dagger. But fourteen seconds into the penalty they take a penalty in the USM zone, making it a 4-on-4 that the Huskies tied the game on.

If this team hopes to beat the Babsons, UMBs, and Hobarts of the conference and compete in the NCAA tournament then they have to clean up the play and stop taking stupid penalties.
        I agree with you there, one interesting thing though was that downs penalty was the only one Norwich was called for all last weekend which I believe was a record since I’ve been watching...ironically the one penalty ruined the weekend and I do believe the refs let the boys play more than d3 is accustomed to last weekend.

They need to keep they’re heads in these tight games against opponents for sure. It seems to be in games like these where Norwich gets frustrated and takes dumb penalties. I’d blame it on being a young team but I see a lot of the upper classmen doing it too.

Time will tell. Tonight is going to be a tough one in a barn of a hockey arena. NEC always plays with a chippy edge and Norwich needs to stay outta that and play their game to avenge the lost at Kreitzberg and sty top in the league.

As you said, Ostepchuk is our rock. I don’t think I’ve seen a goalie with this level of consistency throughout all his years at Norwich. Guy is a pleasure to watch and an outstanding asset to the team and University.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
          I was able to sync the WDEV audio with the USM video so I enjoyed the broadcast.. First period was out of sync by about 15 seconds, tweeked it to about one second in the second and got it right on in the third. A win is a win.
          It's the best way to go. I have found that if I use my phone to get the DEV audio, and my computer to get the video, by toggling back and forth between the two two feeds I can get darn close. When schools have student announcers the audio on out of town video feeds can be just plain annoying. Actually to me the worst thing is not knowing the time, because other than NSN feeds, the videos never show the clock except when there is a break in play.

Hate seeing the Cadets playing at NEC, other than CSC, they are routinely the most borderline team we play. Unfortunately, too often the Cadets get sucked into playing their game. I do think Mike needs to instill on these guys the need for discipline and avoiding the retaliation penalties. As the title of the song says "Let It Go." Fix dirty play with clean hits, not cross-checks, roughing, hits after the whistle, etc.
          Last edited by NUProf; 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Good third for the boys. Good, hard-fought win.

r

Comment

Good win. Kept their composure in the face of NEC thuggery and got the winner. Imagine that. Wasn’t always pretty, but I know we’ll all take a weekend sweep. On to Middlebury Tuesday. God, I wish they weren’t terrible...

Comment

Didn't get to see as much as I wanted to see, but it looked like they toughed it out. I know it is almost blasphemy, but I agree that it is unfortunate that Midd has fallen so far. Those classic NU/Midd games in front of packed houses were really fun. The old January round robin when Norwich, Midd, and Platts would play Tuesday night games and all three teams were among the top teams in the East every year were something to look forward to.

It's no fun to have a "rivalry" that is too one-sided, even if your team is the "top dog" in the rivalry.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Midd played Plattsburgh tough the other night, a one goal game, so I wouldn't treat them lightly. On todays game, I didn't see much "thuggery" from NEC. I thought it was a well played game from both teams. Going from a big sheet Friday to a Postage stamp today has got to be , at best, frustrating. But the team played through it and got a 4 point weekend. (3-2 games aren't my favorite...I prefer 6-1 games.)
                  Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Good win. Kept their composure in the face of NEC thuggery and got the winner. Imagine that. Wasn’t always pretty, but I know we’ll all take a weekend sweep. On to Middlebury Tuesday. God, I wish they weren’t terrible...
                    That kind of thinking will get a team in trouble !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Yeah, NU tied Middlebury last year and lost to them the year before if I remember correctly. So while this decade has been one-sided the last two years have not.

In my opinion, Middlebury-Norwich is the best kind of rivalry. It's a rivalry where the schools are opposites of each other and the student bodies would, if they interacted like they used to, genuinely not like each other.

I think it was the Hockey in the Cac blog that wrote a short story on it a few years ago that summed it up perfectly: the liberal, prestigious, liberal arts school v. the conservative, tough, military school from the other side of the mountain.

When you think of most storied college rivalries they're between schools that are mirror images of each other. Leaving aside the Alabama-Auburn and Ohio State-Michigan type rivalries, let's just look at New England DIII. Williams-Amherst, Bowdoin-Colby, Norwich-Coast Guard - they're rivalries between very similar schools that share many of the same values and experiences.

That's what makes Middlebury-Norwich fun, or at least did. They're polar opposites in almost every way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
                      Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                        Midd played Plattsburgh tough the other night, a one goal game, so I wouldn't treat them lightly. On todays game, I didn't see much "thuggery" from NEC. I thought it was a well played game from both teams. Going from a big sheet Friday to a Postage stamp today has got to be , at best, frustrating. But the team played through it and got a 4 point weekend. (3-2 games aren't my favorite...I prefer 6-1 games.)
                        Not to be argumentative, but the game winner was a direct result of NEC taking a stupid penalty on a blatant late hit directly in front of the ref. That would be the thuggery I alluded to. The Cadets kept their composure, rather than retaliate and get a matching penalty. Took the power play opportunity to win the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                          That kind of thinking will get a team in trouble !
                          The good news is, I’m a fan and not a player. I arrived in Northfield at the tail end of Middlebury’s excellence, and already miss those games. Packed houses and intense games. Regardless of recent outcomes, that environment is gone. So, yeah, I wish Middlebury didn’t stink right now so we could enjoy that atmosphere again.

Comment

Yeah, NU tied Middlebury last year and lost to them the year before if I remember correctly. So while this decade has been one-sided the last two years have not.

In my opinion, Middlebury-Norwich is the best kind of rivalry. It's a rivalry where the schools are opposites of each other and the student bodies would, if they interacted like they used to, genuinely not like each other.

I think it was the Hockey in the Cac blog that wrote a short story on it a few years ago that summed it up perfectly: the liberal, prestigious, liberal arts school v. the conservative, tough, military school from the other side of the mountain.

When you think of most storied college rivalries they're between schools that are mirror images of each other. Leaving aside the Alabama-Auburn and Ohio State-Michigan type rivalries, let's just look at New England DIII. Williams-Amherst, Bowdoin-Colby, Norwich-Coast Guard - they're rivalries between very similar schools that share many of the same values and experiences.

That's what makes Middlebury-Norwich fun, or at least did. They're polar opposites in almost every way.

What’s interesting, and I say this as a diehard Norwich fan and avowed despiser (is that a word?) of Midd, is that - if you look solely at the hockey players, they’re the same. Affluent, northeast prep school types and/or Canadians. Not good or bad, just an observation.

Comment

What’s interesting, and I say this as a diehard Norwich fan and avowed despiser (is that a word?) of Midd, is that - if you look solely at the hockey players, they’re the same. Affluent, northeast prep school types and/or Canadians. Not good or bad, just an observation.
                              True, but sports are about more than just the players playing the game, especially in college (which is why I disagree with your elsewhere-mentioned annoyance at fans using "we" when referring to their team). It's why they wear the school logo on their chest. It's why the university pays thousands and thousands of dollars to pay for their equipment, travel expenses, and coaches' salaries. It's why all of us watch - because they're representing our school. They're representing us. If it was strictly about the players and the game then I'd be watching fewer DIII games and more NHL games.

When I watch non-Norwich games I want to learn more about the schools that I'm watching. Last night after Norwich-USM I watched some of Concordia-Wisconsin v. St. Scholastica. I already know a lot about CUW, but I immediately wanted to learn more about St. Scholastica - Where is it? What is it known for? It's Catholic? How Catholic? Etc.

But, maybe that's just me.

Norwich '13

Comment

True, but sports are about more than just the players playing the game, especially in college (which is why I disagree with your elsewhere-mentioned annoyance at fans using "we" when referring to their team). It's why they wear the school logo on their chest. It's why the university pays thousands and thousands of dollars to pay for their equipment, travel expenses, and coaches' salaries. It's why all of us watch - because they're representing our school. They're representing us. If it was strictly about the players and the game then I'd be watching fewer DIII games and more NHL games.

When I watch non-Norwich games I want to learn more about the schools that I'm watching. Last night after Norwich-USM I watched some of Concordia-Wisconsin v. St. Scholastica. I already know a lot about CUW, but I immediately wanted to learn more about St. Scholastica - Where is it? What is it known for? It's Catholic? How Catholic? Etc.

But, maybe that's just me.

All valid points.

I would say students are allowed to say “we”. Players, employees, students. That particular gripe is directed at fans of pro sports teams...especially Patriots fans since 80% of them are frauds 😜
                                Last edited by KrbFlint; 01-13-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X