Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Goal is to have this wrapped up by mid to late next week. Stay patient. It’s coming soon.
    Sighhhh. Fine.
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
      Sighhhh. Fine.
      And thank you for the congrats. It was a fantastic day/wedding.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=a7f02261a5
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I meant to ask - was "The Ballad of the Prezdential Three" played at the reception?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I meant to ask - was "The Ballad of the Prezdential Three" played at the reception?
          Would have been a good play....
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Beautiful! Love the patriotic colors! Congrats again!
            Norwich '13

Comment

It's being reported that Cam Ellsworth of UMass-Lowell is the front runner (https://mobile.***********/mikemcmah...02175489?s=21l I presume that means that he was one of the three finalists on campus last week.

The reaction of the Lowell fan base to the news is highly encouraging (they're distraught). Looking at his bio, I can see why. He seems like he would be an awesome hire - coaching experience at one of the top DI programs and having coached multiple NHL players. Should help immensely in recruiting, I'd imagine.

My only concern is that his entire career has been DI. That makes me think (with no evidence) that he would be more inclined to see Norwich as a stepping stone rather than a destination.

If the rumors are true then hopefully they can close. Announcement this week?
              Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                It's being reported that Cam Ellsworth of UMass-Lowell is the front runner (https://mobile.***********/mikemcmah...02175489?s=21l I presume that means that he was one of the three finalists on campus last week.

The reaction of the Lowell fan base to the news is highly encouraging (they're distraught). Looking at his bio, I can see why. He seems like he would be an awesome hire - coaching experience at one of the top DI programs and having coached multiple NHL players. Should help immensely in recruiting, I'd imagine.

My only concern is that his entire career has been DI. That makes me think (with no evidence) that he would be more inclined to see Norwich as a stepping stone rather than a destination.

If the rumors are true then hopefully they can close. Announcement this week?
                The one thing about the "stepping stone worry" is that MM only had DI experience when he came to NU, and he stayed at NU for the duration. (Of course he had two prior stops as a head coach, and was at a different stage in his career, too.) I hope in some way or another the committee will consider a projected length of stay for whoever they hire. I'd hate to see another search in a few years because a coach got "too big" for Norwich. The interesting thing about that scenario is that most guys who move on from success at one school often get destroyed at their next stop. I'm thinking of football/basketball coaches who get hired to "Power Five" conference schools from I-AA or "mid major" schools and burn their bridges only to lose their job in a couple of years.
                Last edited by NUProf; 07-15-2018, 11:43 AM.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  The one thing about the "stepping stone worry" is that MM only had DI experience when he came to NU, and he stayed at NU for the duration. (Of course he had two prior stops as a head coach, and was at a different stage in his career, too.) I hope in some way or another the committee will consider a projected length of stay for whoever they hire. I'd hate to see another search in a few years because a coach got "too big" for Norwich. The interesting thing about that scenario is that most guys who move on from success at one school often get destroyed at their next stop. I'm thinking of football/basketball coaches who get hired to "Power Five" conference schools from I-AA or "mid major" schools and burn their bridges only to lose their job in a couple of years.
                  It’s so much closer in hockey...I’ve had some conversations with some big time hockey people recently. They unanimously said that Norwich is one of the best jobs in college hockey, at any level.

The leap in other sports from D3 to D1 is huge, in hockey it just isn’t. It’s so much smaller.

Based on what I’m hearing, if Ellsworth is the guy, he wants Norwich and he wants it for the foreseeable future.

Comment

To look at this from another perspective, if he does indeed jump ship in a few years it'd mean that he had some considerable success at NU. That's be a good thing.

But we all definitely want our cake and to eat it too (a saying I've never understood, but I digress). That means following the example of McShane - success and commitment.

Krb, based off of what you're hearing, what reasons is Ellsworth giving for wanting the NU job?
                    Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      To look at this from another perspective, if he does indeed jump ship in a few years it'd mean that he had some considerable success at NU. That's be a good thing.

But we all definitely want our cake and to eat it too (a saying I've never understood, but I digress). That means following the example of McShane - success and commitment.

Krb, based off of what you're hearing, what reasons is Ellsworth giving for wanting the NU job?
                      An opportunity to run a high level program, a chance to compete for championships every year, limited travel compared to D1 (he has a family), etc. In my eyes, all the right reasons.

Mike McShane was a rock star when he arrived, but he became a legend here. You don’t have to be a “D1 guy” to reach those heights within the profession.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                        An opportunity to run a high level program, a chance to compete for championships every year, limited travel compared to D1 (he has a family), etc. In my eyes, all the right reasons.

Mike McShane was a rock star when he arrived, but he became a legend here. You don’t have to be a “D1 guy” to reach those heights within the profession.
                        I like it. Let's get this done.
                        Norwich '13

Comment

IT'S OFFICIAL!!
                          According to College Hockey News.com .......they have a story confirming the above new Norwich Hockey Coach as just discussed. I found it on in the Div I hockey forum under the Lowell thread. Of course with all the "fake News" out there.............who knows what is true when we read the news??
                          Especially when you are an old geezer.

NU56
                          Old Member
                          Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Wow Norwich congrats on what seems like a GREAT hire!!! UVM people were talking about him as a replacement for Sneddon who is hopefully in his last year! You guys have the best program in the state BAR NONE it's not close to get someone of this caliber! Congrats again and belated congrats to the legend McShane himself on a great career!

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
                              IT'S OFFICIAL!!
                              According to College Hockey News.com .......they have a story confirming the above new Norwich Hockey Coach as just discussed. I found it on in the Div I hockey forum under the Lowell thread. Of course with all the "fake News" out there.............who knows what is true when we read the news??
                              Especially when you are an old geezer.
                              Here it is!

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ciate-Head.php

Comment

https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...20180716o415pv

Comment

Working...
                                X