Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Stupid penalty on Downs that led to the UNE goal. I wasn't able to watch the whole game, but the parts I did see seemed to be taking place in the Cadets' zone. Seemed like we had a lot of trouble clearing the zone.
    It is too bad you couldn't watch the whole game...............very exciting, but you would have thought one of our shots would have gone in. So, I guess that numbers don't tell the whole story. The New England goalie did an outstanding job.........thought he was in a shooting gallery at times.

NU56
    Old Member
    Maybe the Oldest

Comment

• Originally posted by NU56 View Post
      It is too bad you couldn't watch the whole game...............very exciting, but you would have thought one of our shots would have gone in. So, I guess that numbers don't tell the whole story. The New England goalie did an outstanding job.........thought he was in a shooting gallery at times.
      Yeah, now from other analysis it sounds like the Cadets carried the play. Frustrating way to lose. I don't know how a team gives up 103 shots over two games and wins them both.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...schools_ranked

A link to a Boston Herald article talking about the number of top D3 hockey teans in NE. I think that all the top teams are going to have 5-6 losses a year due to the increased competition level. A hot goaltender like we
        saw last weekend can make the difference even though NU carried the play against UNE. Great for hockey fans to see top competition several times a year.
        Last edited by hawk; 01-08-2018, 03:31 PM.
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

First AHL Hat Trick for Will Pelletier!

https://www.facebook.com/RockfordIce...5180789852423/

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
            First AHL Hat Trick for Will Pelletier!

https://www.facebook.com/RockfordIce...5180789852423/
            good to see..

Comment

Awesome to see! He also has a great beard going according to his player bio.
              Norwich '13

Comment

A) I somehow forgot how obnoxious the USM play by play guy is
                B) nice to see the good camo jerseys tonight, rather than the ugly gray camo
                C) we’re in trouble early on. USM dominated the 1st.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                  A) I somehow forgot how obnoxious the USM play by play guy is
                  B) nice to see the good camo jerseys tonight, rather than the ugly gray camo
                  C) we’re in trouble early on. USM dominated the 1st.

A) completely agree
                  B) I prefer the traditional maroons, but these are better.
                  C) Thought the play was rather even
                  Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                    A) completely agree
                    B) I prefer the traditional maroons, but these are better.
                    C) Thought the play was rather even
                    Hopefully I’m just being pessimistic, but I thought we looked sloppy. Either way, I anticipate a better 2nd.

Comment

The play by play guy is ruining this hockey game. I hate people who complain about announcers, but he is literally ruining the experience.

Comment

Does this guy really have to shout every time a puck goes within 20ft of the net?
                        Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                          The play by play guy is ruining this hockey game. I hate people who complain about announcers, but he is literally ruining the experience.
                          Looks like we're thinking the same thing at the same time.
                          Norwich '13

Comment

Once again we see what great goaltending can do. Last week we lost because of it and this week we won because of it. Ostepchuk came up huge a number of times after USM tied the game at two. Perhaps the quantity of saves wasn't there like the UNE goalie, but he made a number of quality stops. Especially with this that flurry of saves at around 14:00 in the third.

Bottomline, if you want to win the conference, then this is the type of games you have to win. Or perhaps more accurately, the games you can't afford to lose. So kudos to the team for taking control in the last 10 minutes and doing what they had to to get the win.

But I'm still concerned that this team remains the most undisciplined Cadet team I remember seeing in my near decade of watching them now. It's not so much the number of penalties, though that is a problem, but what they're taking them for.

Last week, UNE scored the lone goal of the game on a powerplay after Downs got frustrated after taking a hand to the face and retaliated by low-blowing the player with his stick. Tonight Jackson took a completely unnecessary hit from behind penalty late in the second that luckily didn't come back to bite. Then, in the third, immediately after taking a 2-1 lead, the Cadets go on the powerplay with the momentum and chance to score a dagger. But fourteen seconds into the penalty they take a penalty in the USM zone, making it a 4-on-4 that the Huskies tied the game on.

If this team hopes to beat the Babsons, UMBs, and Hobarts of the conference and compete in the NCAA tournament then they have to clean up the play and stop taking stupid penalties.
                            Last edited by NU Pastime; 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM.
                            Norwich '13

Comment

I completely agree. Only time will tell. Score 2-2 and I get a call from one of our northern rental units that their roof was leaking. Our guy just got out of the hospital and we are still tracking down someone to fix it. Good news: I looked at the tv and everyone had gone home and the score was 3-2 and I did not have to listen to the excited announcer any more. Now to bed as I am going across state in the morning.
                              Maybe tomorrow's game will be better.

NU56
                              Old Member
                              Maybe the Oldest

Comment

I was able to sync the WDEV audio with the USM video so I enjoyed the broadcast.. First period was out of sync by about 15 seconds, tweeked it to about one second in the second and got it right on in the third. A win is a win.
                                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Working...
                                X