Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Thanks to George and to all of you here who write such interesting threads. Sad to see another season come and go. But as many have said here the better team won. It was like watching Norwich play Norwich. They knew just what to do. The BUZZ SAW hit us. Probably our big fan base helped out Hobart. When you come into Norwich, and see all those fans cheering against you, makes it pretty easy as a Hockey player to use that energy for your own team. I thought after the first penalty kill , Norwich would get some lift from that but they seemed to loose momentum instead of pick it up. I think Hobart had done a lot of study on how Norwich plays in general and uses it for how they play. I really enjoyed watching them, they were faster and stronger as well. They spread us out really well, and we just often couldn't beat them down the ice. Norwich had there chances early in the first, then it became a track meet. I noticed the door still didn't look so good that Kevin was slamming last weekend either. It was a good move to change goal tender, Tom made some outstanding early saves. I do think that probably was Norwich's best game they played all year.The Hockey God's have spoken. Tough to know you just don't have the stuff and the better team won. Thanks again George and Corey.
    Last edited by Roy; 03-06-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Just reading the thread here really shows what great fans the Cadets have. Playing Norwich brought the best out of Hobart this year. Your rink and fanbase is one to envy. I was worried when we joined the NEHC, but the competition and colleges have been great. Congrats on last years title and this years regular season. Good luck to your program next year and hopefully the Statesmen can win a few in the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
        Just reading the thread here really shows what great fans the Cadets have. Playing Norwich brought the best out of Hobart this year. Your rink and fanbase is one to envy. I was worried when we joined the NEHC, but the competition and colleges have been great. Congrats on last years title and this years regular season. Good luck to your program next year and hopefully the Statesmen can win a few in the next few weeks.
        I think in three short months Hobart has firmly taken the top spot as Norwich's chief rival. Looking forward to what I think could become a great rivalry over the next few years.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I think in three short months Hobart has firmly taken the top spot as Norwich's chief rival. Looking forward to what I think could become a great rivalry over the next few years.
          Agree!

Comment

To everyone who posted above, you have all expressed my thoughts about the wonderful teams, coaches, media and fans of Norwich hockey. I have no other words that could express why I watch every single game here from Florida.

I do have a few words for Kevin Salvucci, his friends, coaches and academic advisers. Kevin, get some support for your temper, I believe you feel you should have done more and/or better, and truth is, you did your best and that is the most important thing. All of us understand disappointment and frustration. We all experience it, sometimes on a daily basis. Find a positive way to deal with it such as mentoring young hockey players, helping your community, lending a hand with someone who is struggling with his/her studies and most of all, talking about the intense feelings that causes you to act out in ways that you know are detrimental. There is no shame in being human, but it is a shame that some people suffer needlessly because they don't allow themselves to be human.

Good luck to all the seniors who will be venturing out into this great world in May, and to the underclassmen, see you in October!
            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Indeed
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Rival? I remember reading this conversation about Castleton a few years ago and some of the die hards in here insisted, you can't have a rivalry until Castleton has established they can beat us more than once in a single year and over time. I think Norwich is on the short end of this stick, declaring a rivalary yet. Just saying. Wishful thinking on our part. We got it handed to us and with no answer. We will have to earn the title of RIVALRY. Lets hope they can do that , and sooner than later. Will need to post at least 3 wins against them to even this thing up then we have a Rivalry. Agree?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Rival? I remember reading this conversation about Castleton a few years ago and some of the die hards in here insisted, you can't have a rivalry until Castleton has established they can beat us more than once in a single year and over time. I think Norwich is on the short end of this stick, declaring a rivalary yet. Just saying. Wishful thinking on our part. We got it handed to us and with no answer. We will have to earn the title of RIVALRY. Lets hope they can do that , and sooner than later. Will need to post at least 3 wins against them to even this thing up then we have a Rivalry. Agree?
                  No, I don't agree. Castleton started off as a rival and then lost that title. They started as a rival in football too, and now they're an even bigger rival after taking home the Sap Bucket more times than not the last four years.

Norwich is (was) the defending national champion and has dominated the NEHC. Hobart coming into the league and beating Norwich this year just raises the intensity for next year. If Hobart goes on to win the next 20 games against Norwich then the Cadets will have given up the status of rival like Castleton did. But I don't think anyone has those illusions.

Also, while perhaps "rivalry" isn't the right word to use in regards to Castleton, extreme dislike is still present. We had the same thing with them in the opposite in baseball. My four years there we went 1-6 against Castleton. And, even though they mostly dominated us (a lot of those 6 losses weren't close), the dislike and intensity was still evident from both sides. They thoroughly enjoyed beating us, and us beating them is the highlight of my Norwich career. I think part of the reason NU has been so successful against Castleton in hockey is that the players still get up to play them in a way they might not against a Skidmore.
                  Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

A rival is a team that you take pleasure just from beating them, regardless of circumstances, and are really bummed with a loss and the feeling is reciprocated. A rivalry game is one you look forward to every season. We used to have that with Middlebury in football and hockey, but the the NESCAC told their members that they couldn't schedule games with non-NESCAC schools in football any more. Then Middlebury hockey fell off the cliff. Probably the closest thing to a non-conference rivalry now is with Plattsburgh, but because they focus so much on Oswaygo, they look at Norwich more as a big game than a rivalry game. I think Hobart has the potential of being a rivalry.

Comment

Well we for sure would take great pleasure in beating Hobart. Any way you can turn back time and we can give it one more try?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Well we for sure would take great pleasure in beating Hobart. Any way you can turn back time and we can give it one more try?
                        I look forward to beating them next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          One try less next year - unless you want to go back to race to 3 points + mini game for each playoff round.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In the Barre/Montpelier Times Argus Hobart goaltender Frank Oplinger was quoted as saying that its so much fun when everybody's into it and there's a lot of energy in the building. I think the the whole team, myself included, really get excited for that. I don't believe home ice means that much when both teams are into the game. About 2200 fans attended last Saturday's game. The two breakaway's Oplinger stopped were some of the biggest plays in the game.

When Norwich plays the CCC teams next season there record against these teams will be very important when the NCAA ranks the teams. It seems that these game are almost more important than league games when at large bids are considered.
                            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                              I'm a Hobart fan for the next 4-5 weeks.... wouldn't it be nice if the NEHC was able to win two years in a row! Go Statesmen!

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                                In the Barre/Montpelier Times Argus Hobart goaltender Frank Oplinger was quoted as saying that its so much fun when everybody's into it and there's a lot of energy in the building. I think the the whole team, myself included, really get excited for that. I don't believe home ice means that much when both teams are into the game. About 2200 fans attended last Saturday's game. The two breakaway's Oplinger stopped were some of the biggest plays in the game.

When Norwich plays the CCC teams next season there record against these teams will be very important when the NCAA ranks the teams. It seems that these game are almost more important than league games when at large bids are considered.
                                You are always rooting for the teams in your own league to win out of conference games. That is what shapes your SOS. The reason why the CCC teams all had high SOS is because their league cleaned up OOC. Conversely, look at Utica...their SOS was in the tank because their league had a very poor record against other leagues.

So definitely something to keep in mind for the future, you're only as good as your league when it comes to at-large selections because if your league isn't winning games against the other leagues, you're never going to have a prayer in the SOS department.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X