Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Much better game tonight Cadets, congrats to you all. Rest up, heal, and prepare to beat the Statesman next Sat. Of course, "I Will Watch" as you try and succeed (since 3rd time at home is a charm!)
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Exactly how it should be. Top two teams in the league meet in the finals with a trip the the NCAAs on the line.
      NU did just about everything right tonight. We seemed to be able to keep the Beacons off balance most of the night. Cory Gufstaton's observations about the lack of coordination between the Beacon offense and defense was an interesting insight. They also seem to depend too much from Larkin and one or two others to carry the load. Beating those guys three times in any season is tough. They are a tough bunch for sure.

But most importantly to me is that what ever the final fate is for this team's season...we have seen the future,e.g. Those first 5 goals were all from Freshman. And the empty net sixth score was nice icing on the cake from a deserving Senior Kevin S. I think next weekends game will be very interesting when we duke it out with Hobart. Now is the time for redemption. Go Cadets!!!
      Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM.
      Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
        NU did just about everything right tonight. We seemed to be able to keep the Beacons off balance most of the night. Cory Gufstaton's observations about the lack of coordination between the Beacon offense and defense. They also seem to depend too much from Larkin and one or two others.

But most important is that what ever the fate is for this team's excellent season...we have seen the future,e.g. Those first 5 goals were all from Freshman. And the empty net sixth score was nice icing on the cake from Senior Kevin S. I think next weekends game will be very interesting when we duke it out with Hobart.
        Need to bring a totally coordinated game on defense and offense again Hobart. Love to see the upgrade to the league with Hobart, but there's only one way to get to the NCAAs and that is to beat Hobart. I think that the Hobos could be complacent because I think they are going to be in one way or the other. That may or may not be an advantage for the Cadets.

Cadets may be a little hungrier
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
          NU did just about everything right tonight. We seemed to be able to keep the Beacons off balance most of the night. Cory Gufstaton's observations about the lack of coordination between the Beacon offense and defense was an interesting insight. They also seem to depend too much from Larkin and one or two others to carry the load. Beating those guys three times in any season is tough. They are a tough bunch for sure.

But most importantly to me is that what ever the final fate is for this team's season...we have seen the future,e.g. Those first 5 goals were all from Freshman. And the empty net sixth score was nice icing on the cake from a deserving Senior Kevin S. I think next weekends game will be very interesting when we duke it out with Hobart. Now is the time for redemption. Go Cadets!!!
          It seemed like umass was just giving them the outside lanes...bold strategy cotton, we see how it paid off for them. Swans hat trick and the boys were flying. Please big O no more letting the opposing team have easy ones after we score a big goal in the third. Haha other than that fantastic game in the net from O so I can’t complain too much. Bring on Hobart!!!

Comment

Tonight was probably a top 3 game I've seen at Kreitzberg in my eight years out here...what a game. In my opinion, difference was goaltending. UMass Boston is a very skilled team. Definitely impressive offense. Fully expect to see Larkin on a ECHL team on Monday...
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Tonight was probably a top 3 game I've seen at Kreitzberg in my eight years out here...what a game. In my opinion, difference was goaltending. UMass Boston is a very skilled team. Definitely impressive offense. Fully expect to see Larkin on a ECHL team on Monday...
              Agreed! NU goalie was a calming influence even though there was one he'd like to have back. UMB goalie was just the opposite. Clearly out of sorts from the first shot. He'd like to have 4 of the 5 back. It got to the point he couldn't stop a puck behind his net without running into his D or getting wires crossed. UMB has a big hole to fill in Larkin, while NU is set for continued success.

Comment

Not hockey, but GNAC related..

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...ng_Most_Viewed
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Lets hope some one has dulled the blades of the Hobart "BUZZ SAW" cause the Cadets are going to need the help. On the other side of the puck if we can beat them, they may have a shot at getting to Lake Placid. I think of all the teams over and over the Cadets have beaten 3 plus times. I don't believe in the 3's a charm stuff. Get past them, and we should be ready. Lets hope Norwich comes out again for that first 7- 8 minutes locked and loaded again. I thought that was there best play was the first 10 min of the game against U Mass .It was close to the best 8 minutes of the entire season. GET ER DONE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Very interesting. Interesting time for higher ed, particularly the liberal arts, which are largely neglected and overlooked now for more "marketable" degrees.

Lasell is a GNAC member, but Ida isn't. I wonder if this merger favors one school mire over the other.
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      Very interesting. Interesting time for higher ed, particularly the liberal arts, which are largely neglected and overlooked now for more "marketable" degrees.

Lasell is a GNAC member, but Ida isn't. I wonder if this merger favors one school mire over the other.
                      Mount Ida is a GNAC member actually...
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Since it sounds like both campuses will remain active, the question becomes whether they will maintain individual athletic programs for each campus or merge into a single athletic program. The same question also applies to Johnson and Lyndon state (although not relevant to hockey). Of course I wish they would have named the new merged school there Lyndon-Johnson. (if you lived through the 60s you'd get my reference)

Comment

Don't get me started advocating the value of a liberal arts education. It's what a University education needs to be.

To me, a broadly based education is superior to 4 years of education based solely on a career model. The problem is that the world is changing, people get single-focus degrees, and then realize they didn't really like what they signed up for. If they have a background in humanities, arts, sciences and mathematics, when they discover that, they have a basis for moving into a new profession much more easily than somebody learned everything in relationship to their vocational degree.

Not only that, a person needs to understand issues in world that are not just related to their profession. A liberal arts education provides a basis for understanding other people and other cultures. It is crucial - end rant.

Comment

Don't get me started advocating the value of a liberal arts education. It's what a University education needs to be.

To me, a broadly based education is superior to 4 years of education based solely on a career model. The problem is that the world is changing, people get single-focus degrees, and then realize they didn't really like what they signed up for. If they have a background in humanities, arts, sciences and mathematics, when they discover that, they have a basis for moving into a new profession much more easily than somebody learned everything in relationship to their vocational degree.

Not only that, a person needs to understand issues in world that are not just related to their profession. A liberal arts education provides a basis for understanding other people and other cultures. It is crucial - end rant.
                            At $50K - $70+K per year and student debt the size of a house, you can't f around and get a liberal arts then a technical degree.

Not that I don't agree with you.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

First, I didn't realize Ida was a GNAC member. They must not have a baseball program. My bad.

And 100% yes to your points Prof. Education is supposed to be more about getting a job. And to be honest, I think a lot of that "focus" is a myth. My classmate who is probably making the best money right now was a history major who got a job in financial services. Good companies are going to send their employees through their training. Likewise, back home in St. Louis I've had 3 or 4 friends go to work for Edward Jones and they flat out said that they didn't care what your degree was in.

So, companies should be training their employees. The point of a liberal arts education is to, as you say, broadly educate a person. To make them a better citizen and a more well-rounded, insightful person. But, perhaps we're romantics.
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                At $50K - $70+K per year and student debt the size of a house, you can't f around and get a liberal arts then a technical degree.

Not that I don't agree with you.
                                But a good liberal arts program can include specialization as well. Students who have spent four years training to be engineers and then find the hate the profession have to go back and retrain to be something else.

The biggest problem is the cost of an education - it doesn't have to be that expensive - and the worst thing about it is that it's not the faculty getting that money. Whenever Norwich had a big tuition hike, very little went directly to the faculty. But we digress.

Comment

Working...
                                X