Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 592

Thread: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

  1. #301
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I sure hope we get another shot at Hobart. But for my eyes, they look stronger and quicker to the puck. I hope I am wrong , but if Hobart plays like that every game , we could very well be looking at this seasons Champs. They remind me of Norwich. They never quit, most often first to the puck and very fast plus they are strong. They were beating Norwich D a lot , Friday night. Braden seems to be really really good until scored upon, then can often go down hill from there. Hobart will be tough for Norwich to beat , no matter where they play them , if Hobart plays the same next meeting. But lets hope Norwich "never quit" attitude pulls them to another crown. Go Cadets!!
    Against Hobart the Cadets were snake bite in that first minute and a half of the 2nd period...and they kept NU off balance for the rest of the period. Statically, it became a game decided by one goal...shots on goal were all but even as were the number penalties. A big difference was Hobart's ability to convert two penalties into scores while NU came up empty on in its three tries.

    Everyone has acknowledged that this team has been transitioning all season into a mature team. And in past, at this point of the season, fans would be talking about how we are "peaking at just the right time."

    It's pretty clear that we're not there yet...but I am also not ready to toss in the towel and wish Hobart best wishes in their quest for the NCAA crown. NU prof is right...UMass took Hobart down twice just as both Babson and Skidmore have split their two games against HC this season. On the flip side, against those same three teams in six games, NU is 5-0-1. And if we are to move on to the NCAA playoffs, I would much rather see a rematch with Hobart than have anyone else do our work for us. In this decade we've seen UMass and Babson deliver great seasons versus NU...now it's Hobart's turn. But nothing has been decided and there is both the time and opportunity for the boys.

    Norwich will give a good showing during the playoffs. What's more we already know we have some seasoned youngsters for our future. Go Cadets.
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-13-2018 at 01:11 AM.

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Hobart game - NU was simply sloppy. Senior goalie let in 4 of 15 shots an one was a dozy. Great comeback in 3rd period, Hobart makes for a great game
    and thought that game could have gone either way. We had our chances and did not convert on power play. Skidmore goalie is down right scary dude.
    He can steal a game any night.

  3. #303
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    67

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Well I hope your right in your prediction for the play offs. I just thought that Hobart controlled most of the game and it just didn't look like the Cadets could keep up with them. Maybe it was just because Braden was sloppy and having a bad game. Is it just me or does he run hot and cold? I thought he played better last year than this year. Once he gets scored on , things seem unsettled with him. I was really wishing that he could be the best goalie the team has had to date. If he can find his game, really soon, they then may have a chance. I still think Hobart is a fun team to watch, hat,s off to them for playing so well against the Cadets. They are like the Eagles/Patriots, just hit em while they are down. By the way can you imagine if the Patriots had one with those two questionable touch downs? Social media would have been on fire. Us Pats fans would have never heard the end of it. But so many people hate the Pats, you never heard much about the touch downs.

  4. #304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Well I hope your right in your prediction for the play offs. I just thought that Hobart controlled most of the game and it just didn't look like the Cadets could keep up with them. Maybe it was just because Braden was sloppy and having a bad game. Is it just me or does he run hot and cold? I thought he played better last year than this year. Once he gets scored on , things seem unsettled with him. I was really wishing that he could be the best goalie the team has had to date. If he can find his game, really soon, they then may have a chance. I still think Hobart is a fun team to watch, hat,s off to them for playing so well against the Cadets. They are like the Eagles/Patriots, just hit em while they are down.
    Hobart versus NU is riding a hot hand...no question about that. Braden had a perfect 16-0 season in 2016/17 and while now well behind the curve...he hasn't been helped by an offense that is delivering over one goal less per game against NEHC opponents than they were scoring last year. That combined with NU now giving up over 10 minutes in penalties each outing also has made him a bigger target. BTY...Someone remarked about how hot a hand the Skidmore goalie had last weekend versus NU. The weekend before in our 2-1 win over USM, third string goalie Steve D'uvso **** near shut down NU's offense. Amazing performance.

  5. #305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    😐

  6. #306
    Fan Of Div III Hockey, GO NORWICH
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida a bit of a trip from Norwich
    Posts
    882

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Come on Cadets, put it in the net!
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

  7. #307
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
    Come on Cadets, put it in the net!
    This is a very average hockey team right now. Talented enough to win on a given night, but absolutely incapable of dominating anyone. They allow the opponent to dictate the style of play. Not what we’re used to, that’s for sure.

  8. #308
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,620

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    This is what is wrong with the one-and-done playoff system. Clearly NU is the better team, but one mistake will cost the Cadets the season.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  9. #309
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    This is what is wrong with the one-and-done playoff system. Clearly NU is the better team, but one mistake will cost the Cadets the season.
    I HATE the term “regular season champion”. Either do away with conference tournaments and just have the #1 team get the AQ (my preference) or eliminate the term and just have top seed host the tourney without a “champion” tag. The “regular season champions” banners in Kreitzberg p*ss me off.

    Conference tournaments, especially at the D3 level (where they aren’t making big bucks), are stupid. But, if we must play them, the winner is the champ and gets the AQ; there is no other “champion”

  10. #310
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,146

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    This is what is wrong with the one-and-done playoff system. Clearly NU is the better team, but one mistake will cost the Cadets the season.
    The scoreboard says we're equal right now... (I know what you're saying...but at the end of the day, win. It's the only way to control your own destiny....)
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  11. #311
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,763

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    I HATE the term “regular season champion”. Either do away with conference tournaments and just have the #1 team get the AQ (my preference) or eliminate the term and just have top seed host the tourney without a “champion” tag. The “regular season champions” banners in Kreitzberg p*ss me off.

    Conference tournaments, especially at the D3 level (where they aren’t making big bucks), are stupid. But, if we must play them, the winner is the champ and gets the AQ; there is no other “champion”
    There...you got it !


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  12. #312
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    I HATE the term “regular season champion”. Either do away with conference tournaments and just have the #1 team get the AQ (my preference) or eliminate the term and just have top seed host the tourney without a “champion” tag. The “regular season champions” banners in Kreitzberg p*ss me off.

    Conference tournaments, especially at the D3 level (where they aren’t making big bucks), are stupid. But, if we must play them, the winner is the champ and gets the AQ; there is no other “champion”
    Completely, 100% agree with this.

  13. #313
    5x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    250

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    I find it hard to believe Castleton did not generate a shot on goal in any of the overtime sessions. Who tracks shots at NU? Helen Keller?

  14. #314
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    I find it hard to believe Castleton did not generate a shot on goal in any of the overtime sessions. Who tracks shots at NU? Helen Keller?

  15. #315
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,620

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    The scoreboard says we're equal right now... (I know what you're saying...but at the end of the day, win. It's the only way to control your own destiny....)
    I know it is they way it is, but I think teams should have to qualify for the playoffs. Letting a team that finishes last in the regular season participate in the league championship tournament seems wrong to me. I know NU won this time, but I still remember that UMB debacle.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  16. #316
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Randolph, VT
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    I find it hard to believe Castleton did not generate a shot on goal in any of the overtime sessions. Who tracks shots at NU? Helen Keller?
    How’d you know?! And somehow I was still convinced the puck was gonna find its way into the Norwich net...seemed like one of those games. Was there at the game and if there was a shot it wasn’t a memorable one...then again...not many were in this game. But I’ll take that last shot any day

  17. #317
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    I know it is they way it is, but I think teams should have to qualify for the playoffs. Letting a team that finishes last in the regular season participate in the league championship tournament seems wrong to me. I know NU won this time, but I still remember that UMB debacle.
    A conference “playoff” where everyone makes it is no kind of playoff at all.

  18. #318
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    I find it hard to believe Castleton did not generate a shot on goal in any of the overtime sessions. Who tracks shots at NU? Helen Keller?
    You probably should’ve watched the game then

  19. #319
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,146
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    I know it is they way it is, but I think teams should have to qualify for the playoffs. Letting a team that finishes last in the regular season participate in the league championship tournament seems wrong to me. I know NU won this time, but I still remember that UMB debacle.
    This will be the last year of that. Next year it will be 8 of 10 like it used to be.

  20. #320
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,763

    Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    A conference “playoff” where everyone makes it is no kind of playoff at all.
    Only the top six make the playoffs in SUNYAC. 3- 6 play a quarter final round and the 1-2 host the semis. Earning the last playoff spots almost always comes down to the last night of the regular season.
    Last edited by Birdwatcher; 02-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •