Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

It's also OK for contributing alums to say "we" as they provide the funds for the teams either directly or indirectly. They have skin in the game!
    Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
      The Cadets kept their composure, rather than retaliate and get a matching penalty. Took the power play opportunity to win the game.
      Frequently, when the Cadets have a lot of young players, they seem to get dragged into retaliation - that is the way the NEC has always played - provoke the opponent. Good that they didn't fall into that trap yesterday.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
        All valid points.

I would say students are allowed to say “we”. Players, employees, students. That particular gripe is directed at fans of pro sports teams...especially Patriots fans since 80% of them are frauds ��
        I would add Red Sox and Celtics fans to that group of annoying fans. Lived in Vermont/NH for more than half of my (long) life and I never could deal with those fan bases.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
          It's also OK for contributing alums to say "we" as they provide the funds for the teams either directly or indirectly. They have skin in the game!
          Also agree. The statement NU Pastime referenced I was making with regard (primarily) to NFL and/or pro sports fans. I should’ve made that more clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            I would add Red Sox and Celtics fans to that group of annoying fans. Lived in Vermont/NH for more than half of my (long) life and I never could deal with those fan bases.
            I don’t disagree. I am guilty of being a Red Sox fan, but I think there is a dramatic divide within the fan base. That would be where the “pink hats” come from.

As far as the Celtics and Bruins go, if you never saw a game in the old Garden, while choking on smoke, you don’t count 😉

Comment

Back to last night's game, any word on what happened to Salvucci and Lewis? They stopped playing in the first and weren't on the ice for the second and third. I saw two Norwich players struggling to get off the ice, one right next to the bench, almost looked like a skate issue as he kind of dragged himself to the bench. The other player, also in the first period, limped off the ice from the Norwich offensive zone. Hope they are both okay. Norwich played with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen last night, so they were down to 3 lines most of the night and I thought they played excellent. Really liked the play of Christian Thompson, that guy can skate and puck handle to beat the band. He is always carrying the puck into the offensive zone by himself and setting up plays. Wish he scored more but I am sure he is playing the game Coach has asked him to play.

As for NEC, I thought the first period was clean but starting in the second there was a fair share of pushing and shoving going on, not to mention high sticks to the neck. The NEC player (thug) who gave us the final power play goal, that wasn't his first time hitting after the whistle. In fact, he was one of two big guys that would join the scramble in front of the net after the whistle blew "to protect their goalie". It was amazing that it took the refs 3 periods to see NEC commit an obvious penalty. After the first, I thought it was a typical NEC game, dirty. Not to mention Norwich working hard for the win and hoping to get back on the bus with only minor injuries.

And we all keep talking about how many penalties we are taking this year and saying that happens when you have a young team. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the majority of the penalties given this season belong to upperclassmen. Penalties are going to happen in a fast paced game, that's part of hockey. Taking dumb and retaliation penalties are not necessarily a part of hockey as much as they are an emotional response such as frustration. I believe the new players possess a lot of maturity in that respect. So far in the second half of the season Norwich is seeing less penalties than in the first half and that shows a better ability to handle stress. I hope and expect that trend to continue.

For a rebuilding year, I am very impressed and happy with how Norwich is doing. We've lost 4 games, but 3 of them were 1 point heart breaking games. The players and coach have a lot to be proud of this season so far. As a fan, I am proud of what I am seeing on the ice and especially like the improvements made with each and every game.

Bring on Middlebury (who have also improved since we saw them last)!
              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                Back to last night's game, any word on what happened to Salvucci and Lewis? They stopped playing in the first and weren't on the ice for the second and third. I saw two Norwich players struggling to get off the ice, one right next to the bench, almost looked like a skate issue as he kind of dragged himself to the bench. The other player, also in the first period, limped off the ice from the Norwich offensive zone. Hope they are both okay. Norwich played with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen last night, so they were down to 3 lines most of the night and I thought they played excellent. Really liked the play of Christian Thompson, that guy can skate and puck handle to beat the band. He is always carrying the puck into the offensive zone by himself and setting up plays. Wish he scored more but I am sure he is playing the game Coach has asked him to play.

As for NEC, I thought the first period was clean but starting in the second there was a fair share of pushing and shoving going on, not to mention high sticks to the neck. The NEC player (thug) who gave us the final power play goal, that wasn't his first time hitting after the whistle. In fact, he was one of two big guys that would join the scramble in front of the net after the whistle blew "to protect their goalie". It was amazing that it took the refs 3 periods to see NEC commit an obvious penalty. After the first, I thought it was a typical NEC game, dirty. Not to mention Norwich working hard for the win and hoping to get back on the bus with only minor injuries.

And we all keep talking about how many penalties we are taking this year and saying that happens when you have a young team. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the majority of the penalties given this season belong to upperclassmen. Penalties are going to happen in a fast paced game, that's part of hockey. Taking dumb and retaliation penalties are not necessarily a part of hockey as much as they are an emotional response such as frustration. I believe the new players possess a lot of maturity in that respect. So far in the second half of the season Norwich is seeing less penalties than in the first half and that shows a better ability to handle stress. I hope and expect that trend to continue.

For a rebuilding year, I am very impressed and happy with how Norwich is doing. We've lost 4 games, but 3 of them were 1 point heart breaking games. The players and coach have a lot to be proud of this season so far. As a fan, I am proud of what I am seeing on the ice and especially like the improvements made with each and every game.

Bring on Middlebury (who have also improved since we saw them last)!
                Spot on here, it is almost laughable that they only had one penalty the whole game. In my opinion the thuggery of many D3 games is extremely overlooked....I'm not sure if it is to keep the play even and not have one team down a man for practically the whole game.

Discipline starts with the upperclassman and it seems like they are getting called more than the young guys this year..

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                  Spot on here, it is almost laughable that they only had one penalty the whole game. In my opinion the thuggery of many D3 games is extremely overlooked....I'm not sure if it is to keep the play even and not have one team down a man for practically the whole game.

Discipline starts with the upperclassman and it seems like they are getting called more than the young guys this year..
                  I had not noticed that before, but you are correct. The three guys with 20+ PIM are all seniors - Salvucci, Brandrup, and Evangelista. That is not good senior leadership there. I've usually associated the "rebuilding year" teams with more penalties because of inexperience.

There are a couple of teams that just take thuggery to a higher level. I probably don't even have to name them, and things don't seem to have changed since I moved away.

Letting teams get away with that stuff detracts from the skill level of the players. When people say "let them play - don't let the refs decide it," my thought is that often by letting teams get away with obstruction, slashing, holding, etc. the refs are letting the less skilled players decide the game. If a team lacks skilled players, they need to find defensive schemes that will work without unfairly preventing skilled players making (or attempting to make) plays.

Comment

Watching online last year the attendance looked pretty poor for the midweek matchup in Middlebury. Let's pack Kreitzberg tonight, what's better than mid week hockey to break up the week a little bit? The rivalry might not be the same but it should be some great hockey!

Go Cadets!

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                      Watching online last year the attendance looked pretty poor for the midweek matchup in Middlebury. Let's pack Kreitzberg tonight, what's better than mid week hockey to break up the week a little bit? The rivalry might not be the same but it should be some great hockey!

Go Cadets!
                      I'll be there but I think we're in for the smallest crowd to ever watch a Norwich/Middlebury men's game at Kreitzberg sadly.

No students, Tuesday night, Middlebury's record, weather...
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I'll be there but I think we're in for the smallest crowd to ever watch a Norwich/Middlebury men's game at Kreitzberg sadly.

No students, Tuesday night, Middlebury's record, weather...
                        Sorry I can't be there, but I'm stuck in the cold down here in Florida. I always thought of Middlebury as THE main rival..............in fact in our day we never even heard of Caselton College, but my grandson says its now THE rival. Times change, but I'm glad we still play Middlebury for old time's sake. With old, big rivals, you just never know who will win. There have been many surprises over the years. Let's hope tonight isn't one of them.

NU56
                        Old Member
                        Maybe the Oldest

Comment

After one; Norwich 2- Midd 1.

Comment

I've got barely one bar on my phone in my office. Not enough the get a consistent video but the audio is working fine.

The video loaded well enough once for me to notice that it is a very small crowd. Sad. Why schedule Middlebury over break? And it's a weird feeling to be mad at your rival for sucking.
                            Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

It could be Satuday night in the middle of the semester and the crowd is still empty...
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Norwich gets another and it 3-1 over Midd after 2 periods. Middlebury is playing a more physical than the Midd of old. not the finesse game of old. Norwich is playing with a depleted bench, Valducci is out as is Downs, both injured over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X