Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wednesday Women is back!

Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
    Truthfully, that is a FANTASTIC question! And, yes I will certainly answer that question. Can't right at this moment. But in the meantime, buyer (recruits) beware!

Grant, don't rush it! I'm just looking out for our HE recruits. Promise!
    lol okay I will eagerly but patiently await the explanation
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      So I take it that you'd select a different set of five players in my mythical draft?
      No one playing women's hockey this year had more goals than Brand last year.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Are you gonna tell us or just keep playing this game that makes you look like you're angry at someone for personal reasons
        I'm not even sure what program is getting ripped.

Comment

"Maybe UND can have a conditional women’s hockey program and only compete in years when oil prices are above a certain threshold."

This, was hilarious.

Comment

Candace: I think it has to be the Buckeyes. Yes, getting swept might be a confidence blow for the Badgers, but this is a team that made the national championship game last year. Wisconsin is going back to the NCAA tournament, and I don’t see whoever wins the CHA tournament defeating them, so they will advance to the Frozen Four.
            I have to say, I think it is very, very, very unlikely that Wisconsin gets the CHA team this year.

EDIT: ARM had my back haha
            Arlan: I’d like to follow up on your point about Wisconsin. The odds are very good that the Badgers will be hosting a team from the WCHA, rather than the CHA champion. If Minnesota gets into the tournament, the Gophers will be heading to Madison because that pairing does not require a flight. The same would also be true of Minnesota Duluth, another candidate to bus to Madison. A CHA team like Mercyhurst or Syracuse could play an Eastern host without flying, so even though it may not maintain bracket integrity, the selection committee would leave the Lakers or the Orange in the East and match Wisconsin with the Gophers or Bulldogs, and if neither of those teams are in the field, then the Buckeyes are the next likely choice.
            Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I have to say, I think it is very, very, very unlikely that Wisconsin gets the CHA team this year.

So, in the case that Minn doesn't make the tournament, why would it be 'likely' that Ohio State comes to Madison? That isn't 'bus trip' distance. Once you're on a plane, does the distance of the flight matter to the pairings? Why wouldn't it be Clarkson and Colgate host Cornell and St Lawrence (again, assuming no Minnesota, and otherwise taking the current top seven), and then Wisconsin and BC get OSU and the CHA winner? Robert Morris or Mercyhurst, et al, aren't 'bus trip' distance to Boston, so if Wisconsin is still #1, why wouldn't they get the CHA winner?

(See, this is why we needed a Pairwise Powerpoint yesterday!)

Put maybe more briefly: If somebody is flying to Madison, and Robert Morris/Mercyhurst is flying somewhere, why wouldn't they be flying to Madison?
              Last edited by robertearle; 02-07-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                So, in the case that Minn doesn't make the tournament, why would it be 'likely' that Ohio State comes to Madison? That isn't 'bus trip' distance. Once you're on a plane, does the distance of the flight matter to the pairings? Why wouldn't it be Clarkson and Colgate host Cornell and St Lawrence (again, assuming no Minnesota, and otherwise taking the current top seven), and then Wisconsin and BC get OSU and the CHA winner? Robert Morris or Mercyhurst, et al, aren't 'bus trip' distance to Boston, so if Wisconsin is still #1, why wouldn't they get the CHA winner?

(See, this is why we needed a Pairwise Powerpoint yesterday!)

Put maybe more briefly: If somebody is flying to Madison, and Robert Morris/Mercyhurst is flying somewhere, why wouldn't they be flying to Madison?
                Yeah if the Gophers don't make it, it's likely (but not certain) that Ohio State goes to Madison. Ohio State is a flight anywhere, and the other matchups would all be bus trips.

The only exception to this is if Mercyhurst (or Lindenwood, a bus to Madison) wins. Mercyhurst is also a flight anywhere. Robert Morris, on the other hand, is a bus to both Clarkson and Colgate. The others in the CHA are also a bus trip to at least one other top 4 school.

Comment

Perhaps, but if it's Mercyhurst they fly anyway. That was the rationale two years ago when BC had the top seed, yet played Northeastern, and Mercyhurst played Wisconsin, while Clarkson got Quinnipiac and Minnesota got Princeton.

I don't think OSU would go to Madison; they have to fly anyway, and they'll probably keep them in the East, maybe facing no. 3 seed Clarkson, assuming that the Buckeyes don't lift their PairWise high enough to be a home ice team.
                  "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Mercyhurst is also a flight anywhere. Robert Morris, on the other hand, is a bus to both Clarkson and Colgate. The others in the CHA are also a bus trip to at least one other top 4 school.
                    Isn't Mercyhurst closer to Colgate than Robert Morris is to Colgate? And isn't Robert Morris much farther than 'bus trip' to Clarkson?

Ugh! I hate this. Finishing first should matter; it should come with *some* advantage over finishing fourth. That goes for all the possibilities: a #1 BC should not get stuck having to play a #5 Northeastern (when that happens next year). It isn't fair to the #1 team, and it isn't fair to the #5 team.
                    Last edited by robertearle; 02-07-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                      I don't think OSU would go to Madison; they have to fly anyway, and they'll probably keep them in the East, maybe facing no. 3 seed Clarkson, assuming that the Buckeyes don't lift their PairWise high enough to be a home ice team.
                      OSU would likely go to Madison if the CHA team can be bused somewhere in the East. If the Buckeyes have to fly no matter where they go, then the committee will pick one flight over two and not care about bracket integrity.

robertearle is correct, but bracket integrity hasn't trumped flight reduction since 2006. Now if someone were to win the lottery and bequest a fortune to the NCAA Women's Ice Hockey Tournament with stipulations that must be met ...
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Ugh! I hate this. Finishing first should matter; it should come with *some* advantage over finishing fourth. That goes for all the possibilities: a #1 BC should not get stuck having to play a #5 Northeastern (when that happens next year). It isn't fair to the #1 team, and it isn't fair to the #5 team.
                        I don't like it either but if you are the #1 seed on your home ice you should be able to beat any of the #5 thru 8, no matter who you play and if you don't win then you did not deserve to go to the Frozen 4. (Ducks behind the couch awaiting the daggers).
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          I don't like it either but if you are the #1 seed on your home ice you should be able to beat any of the #5 thru 8, no matter who you play and if you don't win then you did not deserve to go to the Frozen 4. (Ducks behind the couch awaiting the daggers).
                          But the #5 shouldn't have to play #1 to get their shot at a Final Four. They earned a shot at #4.

Comment

But the #5 shouldn't have to play #1 to get their shot at a Final Four. They earned a shot at #4.
                            Well, of course, but that's the stupid rules we're given

As for flight/bus -- that's actually set in stone. Anything under 400 miles on the NCAA's online tool is a bus, anything longer is a flight. https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles

Directive #1 is minimize flights, #2 is preserve bracket integrity as long as it doesn't add additional flights.

Comment

Isn't Mercyhurst closer to Colgate than Robert Morris is to Colgate? And isn't Robert Morris much farther than 'bus trip' to Clarkson?

Well, remember, one way the Committee gets around this is not seeding teams 5-8. Only the first four are seeded, and their myopic view, which is clearly influenced by "Why do we need to hold a women's tournament in the first place?" is that any seeded team should beat any non-seeded team.
                              "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

We have dealt with this in the WCHA for years. As much as I hate UND I have to admit they often had teams better than some in the final 4 but had their season ended at Ridder. One time in triple OT. This is crappy but unless and until the NC$$ makes money on the thing it is the curse of women's hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X