Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wednesday Women is back!

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    ...As for flight/bus -- that's actually set in stone. Anything under 400 miles on the NCAA's online tool is a bus, anything longer is a flight.
    Google & Bing agree that the distance from Pittsburgh to Potsdam is 494 miles.

Comment

Robert Morris to Colgate is 402 miles the slightly faster way but 396 miles the slightly slower way...lol

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        Robert Morris to Colgate is 402 miles the slightly faster way but 396 miles the slightly slower way...lol
        Did you measure rink-to-rink distance? The city-to-city numbers are so close to the 400 mile threshold, it might actually make the difference!

Even more amusing: Since the Pittsburgh airport is quite a ways West of the City, it's possible that the distance by air is over 400 miles, while the distance by bus is less than 400 miles. What then? Half the team has to fly, while the other half of the team has to travel by bus?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Did you measure rink-to-rink distance? The city-to-city numbers are so close to the 400 mile threshold, it might actually make the difference!

Even more amusing: Since the Pittsburgh airport is quite a ways West of the City, it's possible that the distance by air is over 400 miles, while the distance by bus is less than 400 miles. What then? Half the team has to fly, while the other half of the team has to travel by bus?
          Distance between schools for NCAA purposes is determined using this link:

https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Robert Morris to Colgate = 403
            Robert Morris to Clarkson = 494

So, Robert Morris is a flight to any of the top four.

Mercyhurst to Colgate = 372
            Mercyhurst to Clarkson = 282

(Done by 'institution name' radio button)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Robert Morris to Colgate = 403
              Robert Morris to Clarkson = 494

So, Robert Morris is a flight to any of the top four.

Mercyhurst to Colgate = 372
              Mercyhurst to Clarkson = 282

(Done by 'institution name' radio button)
              You have Mercyhurst to CCT/Colgate bass ackwards

Mercyhurst to Colgate = 282
              Mercyhurst to Clarkson = 372
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                You have Mercyhurst to CCT/Colgate bass ackwards
                oops

Comment

Appreciate the link. Since we're stuck with the "stupid rules," having a tool to settle mileage disputes is a good idea.

I went ahead and used the tool to calculate the distance from Robert Morris to Colgate. It gave me the result I expected. That pairing is a flight, but just barely. Mileage was the same as robertearle reports, who presumably used the tool as well.

You kind of missed my drift, however. My real intent was to gently disrespect the process. The actual answer was secondary in this case.
                  Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-08-2018, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    You kind of missed my drift, however. My real intent was to gently disrespect the process. The actual answer was secondary in this case.
                    Hahaha... Well, yes lol
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Yeah if the Gophers don't make it, it's likely (but not certain) that Ohio State goes to Madison. Ohio State is a flight anywhere, and the other matchups would all be bus trips.

The only exception to this is if Mercyhurst (or Lindenwood, a bus to Madison) wins. Mercyhurst is also a flight anywhere. Robert Morris, on the other hand, is a bus to both Clarkson and Colgate. The others in the CHA are also a bus trip to at least one other top 4 school.

TTT, I seem to remember 2 HE teams getting screwed a couple of years back. #1 should have gotten #8 but the geniuses...including the Wisco coach, send #5 to #1 and #2 (wicso I believe...could be wrong) got #8.

#5 actually got more screwed than # 1 did that year. Imagine if OSU had to go to WI? Watt's the reward for WI being #1? they get #5? Worse, how could #5 OSU get that screwed having to play #1?

hopefully Mr. Wisco coach is consistent. I doubt he will be when his team is adversely affected.

Comment

why not just hire a lawyer and take them to court? the womens basketball teams at every school travel a ton for regular season games. I don't see large crowds at their games. I understand the NCAA has to foot the bill in the tournament but geezus. Can't they have the school's AD present on the call and ask if a flight could be paid for by the school?

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                          hopefully Mr. Wisco coach is consistent. I doubt he will be when his team is adversely affected.
                          Do you not know the coach's name or are you just dissing him further by not using it? Doesn't a coach who has a team in the game recuse themselves of any discussions about their team?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Back in the early days of an eight-team NCAA tournament, the committee placed emphasis on avoiding intraconference pairings in the quarters. We didn't have any in 2005, 2006, or 2007, and there were flights that could have been avoided. Wisconsin could have been sent to No. 1 Minnesota or No. 2 UMD in 2005, but instead it was sent to No. 4 Dartmouth. But in 2007, the sixth team in the rankings, Harvard, was sent to face No. 1 Wisconsin. Stone complained. Johnson complained. Their teams played a bunch of overtimes before the Badgers finally scored. Ever since, the NCAA's thought process has seemed to be that if they are going to grumble, we'll give them something to grumble about. There was a major shift after that, where intraconference quarters are not only tolerated, they seem to be sought. So if Johnson doesn't like playing a WCHA team in the first round, and he has complained about it in the past like when the Badgers played the Bulldogs in 2011, he had a role in evolution of the process. And I realize that in reality, the NCAA was going strictly by the $$$, and didn't really care what Stone, Johnson, or anyone else had to say about the pairings.

The irony of 2007 was that Wisconsin was the only host team to advance to the Frozen Four, so even though it took a while, the pairings certainly didn't hurt the Badgers any.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                              TTT, I seem to remember 2 HE teams getting screwed a couple of years back. #1 should have gotten #8 but the geniuses...including the Wisco coach, send #5 to #1 and #2 (wicso I believe...could be wrong) got #8.

Per the UW Press Guide/Record Book:
                              (Pairwise ranks for 1 through 4, Poll ranks for final poll before tournament otherwise; I can find an archive of polls but not for Pairwise)

In 2017, #1 UW hosted #8 Robert Morris
                              2016, #2 UW hosted unranked Mercyhurst
                              2015, #4 UW hosted #5 BU
                              2014, #4 UW hosted #6 Harvard
                              2012, #1 UW hosted #8 Mercyhurst
                              2011, #1 UW hosted #7 Duluth
                              2009, #1 UW hosted #7 Dartmouth

In 2016, #1 BC hosted #6 (Poll) Northeastern; #3 Minn hosted #7 Princeton; and #4 Quinnipiac hosted #5 Clarkson. I guess that is the year you are referring to; it is the only year that even comes close. Yes, I agree that that is unfair to both BC and Northeastern. I highly doubt there was much Mark Johnson could have done about it.

(And trust me: in 2011, #1 UW wanted nothing to do with #7 Duluth in a quarterfinal; I remember quite clearly going into that game thinking 'today is the national championship'.)

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post

Do you not know the coach's name or are you just dissing him further by not using it? Doesn't a coach who has a team in the game recuse themselves of any discussions about their team?
                                I don't think Mark Johnson deserves an attack on his integrity.

Comment

Working...
                                X