Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The collective Minnesota / Wisconsin / North Dakota drunk thread

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    There's always a ShopKo. It's the generic Walmart. Yes, folks, you read that right.
    The ShopKo is right next to the rink. Unfortunately, I've never traveled very far from those 2 things, so I can't tell you where the inevitable Hardees is.

p.s. I've always considered ShopKo slightly higher class than Walmart, but I grew up with ShopKo, and not Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      The ShopKo is right next to the rink. Unfortunately, I've never traveled very far from those 2 things, so I can't tell you where the inevitable Hardees is.

p.s. I've always considered ShopKo slightly higher class than Walmart, but I grew up with ShopKo, and not Walmart.
      I had that (Rochester, MN). ShopKo customers are special. A very different kind of special. They may have taught Walmart their ways.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I had that (Rochester, MN). ShopKo customers are special. A very different kind of special. They may have taught Walmart their ways.
        So in the ShopKo-WalMart-KMart spectrum, where does Dollar General fit in?

DollarG's are becoming prolific in the small, outpost towns in ND and SD.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

We had a Dollar G in the sh-tkicker town next to us in rural MD. The place always smelled like slightly off chicken, right from the moment it opened. Life sucks for the Poors.

We've got an Aldi near the office park where my work is which is kind of the illegal immigrant equivalent. You buy in bulk, bag your own groceries, have zero staff support, and the inventory is whatever they happened to get that week. On the other side, everything is dirt cheap and everything is healthy staples -- there's no soda or sugar sh-t, it's all bulk produce, or toilet paper, or diapers. It actually seems like the perfect place to shop if you're in serious financial hardship.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            We've got an Aldi near the office park where my work is which is kind of the illegal immigrant equivalent.
            A couple of those have popped up in the Fargo/Moorhead area recently.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              A couple of those have popped up in the Fargo/Moorhead area recently.
              It's probably the fastest growing business in Dump's Amerika.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Aldi's are Costcos, without the membership fee.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

We had a Dollar G in the sh-tkicker town next to us in rural MD. The place always smelled like slightly off chicken, right from the moment it opened. Life sucks for the Poors.

We've got an Aldi near the office park where my work is which is kind of the illegal immigrant equivalent. You buy in bulk, bag your own groceries, have zero staff support, and the inventory is whatever they happened to get that week. On the other side, everything is dirt cheap and everything is healthy staples -- there's no soda or sugar sh-t, it's all bulk produce, or toilet paper, or diapers. It actually seems like the perfect place to shop if you're in serious financial hardship.
                  The problem with Aldi is that their produce and meats aren't really good quality. I'm not saying that their product is unfit for human consumption, but it's just not as good as what you'll find at a normal grocer, or even Target or Walmart. I bought asparagus from Aldi, and stalks were about half the diameter as those I find at Target, and they were off a little in texture. The chicken and steak I bought there on different occasions. have not been very tasty either, with the chicken not being butchered quite right and the steak having a really off-taste quality to it. Other things I've had from them have been just fine. Even those things I've not liked, I'm willing to bet a better cook than me could make all their products taste just fine.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    ... and the steak having a really off-taste quality to it.
                    When I find things like that I wonder if it's a non-regional-taste supplier at play (the old grass-fed/corn-fed beef conversation).

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      The problem with Aldi is that their produce and meats aren't really good quality. I'm not saying that their product is unfit for human consumption, but it's just not as good as what you'll find at a normal grocer, or even Target or Walmart. I bought asparagus from Aldi, and stalks were about half the diameter as those I find at Target, and they were off a little in texture. The chicken and steak I bought there on different occasions. have not been very tasty either, with the chicken not being butchered quite right and the steak having a really off-taste quality to it. Other things I've had from them have been just fine. Even those things I've not liked, I'm willing to bet a better cook than me could make all their products taste just fine.
                      "Than I."

I assume their stock is the stuff that didn't get accepted by the other stores' quality control. For some things that doesn't matter -- your apple doesn't actually have to look like it fell gleaming out of ScarJo's quim to be edible. But stuff like meats I wouldn't chance.
                      Cornell University

Comment

"Than I."
                        So you're like MafiaMan on that other board I haunt. Stuff like that to him is, ... well ...

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

So you're like MafiaMan on that other board I haunt. Stuff like that to him is, ... well ...

Yeah, it hurts and I have to say something. I don't mind if people ignore it, I just gotsta preach.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Yeah, it hurts and I have to say something. I don't mind if people ignore it, I just gotsta preach.
                            The ones that put sand in my tranny:

- their/there/they're
                            - assure/ensure/insure
                            - its/it's

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The ones that put sand in my tranny:

- their/there/they're
                              - assure/ensure/insure
                              - its/it's
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
                              Cornell University

Comment

That made my day.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X