Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Days Since Last Shooting II

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Republican

Democrat

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

Already seeing the conspiracy posts with photos by people on Facebook. I just... I can't even...

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Republican

Democrat
    Yeah, they're fighting way outside their weight class. They need to stick to the Hate Radio circuit. It's the only forum in which they sound sentient.

And yet, of course, who won the election? There are more C students than A students.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Yeah, they're fighting way outside their weight class. They need to stick to the Hate Radio circuit. It's the only forum in which they sound sentient.

And yet, of course, who won the election? There are more C students than A students.
    When you give out failing grades for not subscribing to the belief system... and this did happen to FlagDUDETTE, BTW...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Kichizapi Chetan

The cat is right. You clean up and deal with the immediate mess. Then you call the carpet cleaners.

< way too much experience on subject >
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

lubba wubba dub dub

In that instance, now's the time to talk to a vet about euthanizing practices.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

I have no issue with cops being armed. However, I think we need fewer of them thereby allowing police departments to weed out the sh*theads and use the money on reduced salaries for increased/improved training for the remainder.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Yeah, America is so special, an embarrassingly high rate of gun violence is just something we need to live with.

I think you are the one that is mistaken.
    I didn't say that. This gun violence won't change until we, as a society, change our attitudes about using guns to solve our problems, take care of our guns responsibly (no sleeping with a loaded one under your pillow, or leaving it in a drawer for your kid to find, etc), and don't hand out a gun to anyone with a clean record (I am for mental health check-offs before being allowed to buy a gun).

I just have slim hopes that the attitudes change.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I didn't say that. This gun violence won't change until we, as a society, change our attitudes about using guns to solve our problems, take care of our guns responsibly (no sleeping with a loaded one under your pillow, or leaving it in a drawer for your kid to find, etc), and don't hand out a gun to anyone with a clean record (I am for mental health check-offs before being allowed to buy a gun).

I just have slim hopes that the attitudes change.
    The attitudes will change because the country will continue to urbanize and the demographics of the core of the gun cult are doomed. Guns make zero sense in cities and right now the country is being held hostage by rural areas and by elderly cretins who idealize a "simpler time," meaning one in which non-whites and women and non-Christians "knew their place." That isn't permanent. The number of gun fondlers will eventually drop below the critical mass needed to impose their cult on the rest of us. I expect when the shift comes it will be virtually all at once rather than gradual. We lost the ability to have a gradual wind down because their fanaticism has prevented any movement from occurring, so, just like an earthquake...

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be blacks and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-03-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

That's good because we're giving the insane Semi-Automatics and Silencers now.
    And bump stocks.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat..._the_spotlight
    A bad cause requires many words.

The attitudes will change because the country will continue to urbanize and the demographics of the core of the gun cult are doomed. Guns make zero sense in cities and right now the country is being held hostage by rural areas and by elderly cretins who idealize a "simpler time," meaning one in which non-whites and women and non-Christians "knew their place." That isn't permanent. The number of gun fondlers will eventually drop below the critical mass needed to impose their cult on the rest of us. I expect when the shift comes it will be virtually all at once rather than gradual. We lost the ability to have a gradual wind down because their fanaticism has prevented any movement from occurring, so, just like an earthquake...

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be whites and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
    Because there's no guns in urban areas? Just sayin'.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Good to see Justin Sayin putting in an appearance in this thread. Has Toby Fair also popped in with his analysis?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be whites and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
    I'm not sure about that. I was watching CNN today and they showed that support for gun rights has increased significantly in the last 20 years. There are a lot more non-hunters that own guns now versus back in the day. You probably don't want to hear this but since the Brady Bill sunsetted there have been a lot of really cool guns hit the market that appeal to people who didn't have interest in them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I was watching CNN today and they showed that support for gun rights has increased significantly in the last 20 years. There are a lot more non-hunters that own guns now versus back in the day. You probably don't want to hear this but since the Brady Bill sunsetted there have been a lot of really cool guns hit the market that appeal to people who didn't have interest in them before.
    There's part of the problem.

I was thinking about looking into getting my permit and getting a gun a couple years ago, given the way my life path was headed at the time. It would have been for protection, and would have never left the house except for practice at the local range. As things turned out, path went a different way, and I have no need for a gun in my apt. Not only do I have double-security (entrance and my deadbolt door), but I live in a good neighborhood.

I don't hunt, so that reason is not applicable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    You probably don't want to hear this but since the Brady Bill sunsetted there have been a lot of really cool guns hit the market that appeal to people who didn't have interest in them before.
    And that, right there, is the problem and the scary part. The NRA stopped being a gun owners' organization about 40 years ago, and is now just a lobbying arm to "Sell baby, sell!" any firearm, to any nutjob, at any cost.

If your reason for owning a specific firearm is that it has a "cool military look", so that you and the boys can setup turban-wearing targets and go play toy soldier out on the Back 40, then you're a loon and you shouldn't own firearms.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    And that, right there, is the problem and the scary part. The NRA stopped being a gun owners' organization about 40 years ago, and is now just a lobbying arm to "Sell baby, sell!" any firearm, to any nutjob, at any cost.

If your reason for owning a specific firearm is that it has a "cool military look", so that you and the boys can setup turban-wearing targets and go play toy soldier out on the Back 40, then you're a loon and you shouldn't own firearms.
    This. Yeah, shooting a gun is fun and all, but that is NOT the main reason one should own one (I say main, because of target shooters/skeet/etc as a sport).

I've posted this before but I think a lot of the extremism is to counter the Bloomberg and Brady crowds. It seems like in the last couple of years it has gone a bit too far though. They should stay out of other issues.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Brady Bill. In fact, it's pretty limp legislation in hindsight. The hysteria was ginned up entirely by the NRA's national campaign that it was "unconstitutional", and a "slippery slope", and all the rest of the usual argle bargle.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Brady Bill. In fact, it's pretty limp legislation in hindsight. The hysteria was ginned up entirely by the NRA's national campaign that it was "unconstitutional", and a "slippery slope", and all the rest of the usual argle bargle.
    It is pretty loose in hindsight. Groundbreaking at the time, but...times have changed.

Thread Information