X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Photos from the room. Paddock used a bump stock.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-show-assault/
    Why would any citizen need a gun like the picture in that link? Literally makes no sense. That's not a hunting rifle. That's a killing machine.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I think, what is being suggested, would be in a situation where there is a call like this, it wouldn't be the unarmed patrol officers dispatched. It would some other more armed squad that is trained for that type of situation.
      yes

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I think, what is being suggested, would be in a situation where there is a call like this, it wouldn't be the unarmed patrol officers dispatched. It would some other more armed squad that is trained for that type of situation.

What if you don't that it's the situation going in and time is of the essence with a spouse that is in imminent danger?

You want to wait for Madison PD to dispatch their tactical unit coz this town probably isn't going to have their own.

Comment

tasers are effective for most settings. True story: My nephew is a county deputy, he was assigned to watch the back door on a drug bust a few months ago. The dealer ran out the back and he got him with the taser, running shot, from 25-30 feet away. Walked over and cuffed him.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            That is entirely a funding problem. And it's on purpose. And it's one sided.
            If we paid you $25 per month to never exceed the speed limit, would you take it? Or would it take $50? $100?

It's not a funding problem; it's a personal accountability problem.

You don't shoot people as the aggressor. Period.

Somehow some people find a way to get around that simple truism.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              I wouldn't do the job with or without a firearm for a variety of reasons, so I'm not the person to ask that.

Yet you're happy to venture an opinion on whether or not traffic stops can be dangerous.

For other people doing a job that you wouldn't do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                If we paid you $25 per month to never exceed the speed limit, would you take it? Or would it take $50? $100?

It's not a funding problem; it's a personal accountability problem.

You don't shoot people as the aggressor. Period.

Somehow some people find a way to get around that simple truism.
                I hope the mentally ill enjoy their silencers.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  What if you don't that it's the situation going in and time is of the essence with a spouse that is in imminent danger?

You want to wait for Madison PD to dispatch their tactical unit coz this town probably isn't going to have their own.
                  Yes. But that is why this is a difficult decision to make. I am not saying that this is something I would support, I'm just discussing the options. It is a tradeoff, that we, as a society have to be willing to make. I'm not sure if this hypothetical policy would be an improvement, or not. I can see some definite drawbacks to it, like you have mentioned, but discussing options is a good thing.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Why would any citizen need a gun like the picture in that link? Literally makes no sense. That's not a hunting rifle. That's a killing machine.
                    The problem is that neither side wants to recognize or acknowledge the diversity among firearms. It's a major problem on both sides of the debate.

It's like saying the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Metallica, and Marilyn Manson are all the same music because they are "Rock and Roll"....

Both sides take an "all or nothing" approach and common sense like what you mentioned suffers because of it.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

This sums it up. From the New York Times.

The New York Times Opinion Section: "If only Stephen Paddock had been a Muslim … Then we know what we’d be doing," Thomas Friedman writes.

"Then there would be immediate calls for a commission of inquiry to see what new laws we need to put in place to make sure this doesn’t happen again."

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        Both sides take an "all or nothing" approach and common sense like what you mentioned suffers because of it.
                        Yes, this is true.

One other thing that I notice is that it is very difficult to determine a gun's capability by how it looks, if you aren't very familiar with it. Just because a gun looks like a military style gun does not mean that it operates like one. Obviously, in this case, they look like, and operated like military style rifles.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A bump stock to me is a modification that makes the weapon full automatic and should be regulated as such.

However, the rest of that weapon is a "scary looking" .308 caliber (7.65 mm) deer hunting rifle.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            A bump stock to me is a modification that makes the weapon full automatic and should be regulated as such.

However, the rest of that weapon is a "scary looking" .308 caliber (7.65 mm) deer hunting rifle.
                            you can hunt deer with a bolt action rifle. no need for giant magazines like those pictured.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              The problem is that neither side wants to recognize or acknowledge the diversity among firearms.
                              And that's why I try to be informative where there is confusion or misunderstanding.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                I think dialog happens when sides discuss facts and solutions. Speaking for the gun control side, most get frustrated when the gun side discounts every fact supplied and doesn't come up with any solutions of their own...at which the gun control side gets upset and ultimately gives up (for now). I also think sometimes there is this 'I will not compromise' point of view that makes nothing get done.

BTW it may be my opinion but it seems like you're more moderate than I recall. But message boards are notably bad for getting an accurate read on someone.
                                As some may recall, I have typically been more on the opposite side from you on the issue. It's not that I am necessarily worried about the government taking people's guns. It's just that I believe the measures typically proposed as "gun control" are stupid, meaningless, and would have done nothing to prevent the particular incident that gives rise to the current debate. It's because I understand that "assault rifles" are really just scary looking versions of your standard deer hunting rifle in terms of how they fire. That most of these weapons used were purchased legally. That you can't predict when someone is simply going to break bad.

But I will say this. I have posted here before that I have no problem with having to fill out a form with your name, address, etc..., every time you purchase a weapon so that public authorities at least have a record of who initially purchased a weapon based upon its serial number. Because I think if you own a weapon you should be held responsible for it.

And where I differ with the NRA and gun control opponents is on the issue of that database of information. We have a database of every vehicle that is owned that law enforcement can search if we're trying to track down an instrumentality used in a crime. We should have a searchable database of gun serial numbers as well. Furthermore, if we were to have such a database, given technology today, it would be pretty easy to see instances where a guy buys three guns between the ages of zero and 60, but then buys 40 guns between 60 and 64, which should perhaps raise a flag.

It's silly to have the information but be forbidden from using it. It would allow officers who stop you in a traffic stop to know whether you have ever purchased a gun. It would allow officers entering a domestic to know whether there may be guns in the home. It's no different than firemen wanting to know whether there are any gas canisters or explosives in a burning building they are about to enter.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X