Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Days Since Last Shooting II

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Both sides take an "all or nothing" approach and common sense like what you mentioned suffers because of it.
    Yes, this is true.

One other thing that I notice is that it is very difficult to determine a gun's capability by how it looks, if you aren't very familiar with it. Just because a gun looks like a military style gun does not mean that it operates like one. Obviously, in this case, they look like, and operated like military style rifles.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Why would any citizen need a gun like the picture in that link? Literally makes no sense. That's not a hunting rifle. That's a killing machine.
    A bump stock to me is a modification that makes the weapon full automatic and should be regulated as such.

However, the rest of that weapon is a "scary looking" .308 caliber (7.65 mm) deer hunting rifle.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    A bump stock to me is a modification that makes the weapon full automatic and should be regulated as such.

However, the rest of that weapon is a "scary looking" .308 caliber (7.65 mm) deer hunting rifle.
    you can hunt deer with a bolt action rifle. no need for giant magazines like those pictured.

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    The problem is that neither side wants to recognize or acknowledge the diversity among firearms.
    And that's why I try to be informative where there is confusion or misunderstanding.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I think dialog happens when sides discuss facts and solutions. Speaking for the gun control side, most get frustrated when the gun side discounts every fact supplied and doesn't come up with any solutions of their own...at which the gun control side gets upset and ultimately gives up (for now). I also think sometimes there is this 'I will not compromise' point of view that makes nothing get done.

BTW it may be my opinion but it seems like you're more moderate than I recall. But message boards are notably bad for getting an accurate read on someone.
    As some may recall, I have typically been more on the opposite side from you on the issue. It's not that I am necessarily worried about the government taking people's guns. It's just that I believe the measures typically proposed as "gun control" are stupid, meaningless, and would have done nothing to prevent the particular incident that gives rise to the current debate. It's because I understand that "assault rifles" are really just scary looking versions of your standard deer hunting rifle in terms of how they fire. That most of these weapons used were purchased legally. That you can't predict when someone is simply going to break bad.

But I will say this. I have posted here before that I have no problem with having to fill out a form with your name, address, etc..., every time you purchase a weapon so that public authorities at least have a record of who initially purchased a weapon based upon its serial number. Because I think if you own a weapon you should be held responsible for it.

And where I differ with the NRA and gun control opponents is on the issue of that database of information. We have a database of every vehicle that is owned that law enforcement can search if we're trying to track down an instrumentality used in a crime. We should have a searchable database of gun serial numbers as well. Furthermore, if we were to have such a database, given technology today, it would be pretty easy to see instances where a guy buys three guns between the ages of zero and 60, but then buys 40 guns between 60 and 64, which should perhaps raise a flag.

It's silly to have the information but be forbidden from using it. It would allow officers who stop you in a traffic stop to know whether you have ever purchased a gun. It would allow officers entering a domestic to know whether there may be guns in the home. It's no different than firemen wanting to know whether there are any gas canisters or explosives in a burning building they are about to enter.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    you can hunt deer with a bolt action rifle. no need for giant magazines like those pictured.
    I think it's time to tell hunters they have to be better at hunting and semi-automatics are banned. That's what I would do. But, no, we want the mentally ill to have semi-autos with silencers.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Agree on the bump stock. They should be outlawed.

For some reason some people like their guns to look scary. I don't really get it. I prefer my hunting firearms to have a traditional wood stock look. Take away the bump stock, and use a 5 round magazine, and that gun operates the exact same as a wood-stocked hunting rifle.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Many deer hunting rifles come with a magazine with five or more rounds.

The questions become:
    - bolt or semi-automatic (and deer rifles come in both)
    - magazine size

North Dakota Hockey:

I think it's time to tell hunters they have to be better at hunting and semi-automatics are banned. That's what I would do. But, no, we want the mentally ill to have semi-autos with silencers.
    Skilled hunters don't use semi-automatics. They can jam, and it's pretty widely understood they are not as accurate.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Skilled hunters don't use semi-automatics. They can jam, and it's pretty widely understood they are not as accurate.
    Then what the hell are semi-autos legal for?
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Revenue stream.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Revenue stream.
    Then people need to stop telling us there is nothing we can do on the law side. We've pointed out three things we can do right now.

1. Put the mental ill law back in place.
    2. Stop the silencer bill.
    3. Ban Semi-Automatic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    It might be a stretch to call myself a skilled hunter, I'd admit that.
    But, I do deer hunt with a semi-auto slug gun (I hunt in a no-rifle area, due to higher population densities).

RIP - Kirby

They are legal because they are simply another way of chambering a live piece of ammo into the chamber. Bolt action, lever action, pump action, break action, revolver, probably others. They all have the same effect, and let's the shooter pull the trigger and fire off another shell, just a different mechanical action.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    It might be a stretch to call myself a skilled hunter, I'd admit that.
    But, I do deer hunt with a semi-auto slug gun (I hunt in a no-rifle area, due to higher population densities).
    Gas operated semi autos kick a lot less than other shotguns too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Yet you're happy to venture an opinion on whether or not traffic stops can be dangerous.

For other people doing a job that you wouldn't do.
    Traffic stops can be dangerous. But so can driving down the interstate.

The vast majority of traffic stops are not dangerous. That's simply statistical fact. A cop is more likely to be killed driving down the road than he or she is to be killed during a traffic stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Yet you're happy to venture an opinion on whether or not traffic stops can be dangerous.

For other people doing a job that you wouldn't do.
    Just as you're happy to venture an opinion on whether or not being stopped by the cops as a person they consider suspicious or fearsome simply because of race can be dangerous.

For other people in a position you will never be.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Traffic stops can be dangerous. But so can driving down the interstate.

The vast majority of traffic stops are not dangerous. That's simply statistical fact. A cop is more likely to be killed driving down the road than he or she is to be killed during a traffic stop.
    Regardless of occupation, driving to work is by far the most dangerous part of the day.

Internet Nutcase

Many deer hunting rifles come with a magazine with five or more rounds.

The questions become:
    - bolt or semi-automatic (and deer rifles come in both)
    - magazine size

bolt
    magazine size? small. you don't even need a 5 rounds to hunt deer.

my friend's dad hunts deer with a muzzle loader
    Last edited by BassAle; 10-03-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    A cop is more likely to be killed driving down the road than he or she is to be killed during a traffic stop.
    Unfortunately I suspect a cop is more likely to be killed by traffic during a traffic stop than by the stopped motorist.

North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information