X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Are you serious?

Of course they do. If for nothing else than deterrence.

Officers have no idea who they've pulled over or who else may be in the vehicle or what else may be in the vehicle.
    I am serious. What incentive would a motorist have to kill a cop armed with nothing more than a traffic ticket and a can of mace?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      In regards to how police are armed, a real escalation in police armament was in response to this incident in 1986 as well as some other similar events.
      I thought it was the mid-90's bank robbery in California?
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        In regards to how police are armed, a real escalation in police armament was in response to this incident in 1986 as well as some other similar events.
        maybe instead of militarizing the police (and training the police to think every encounter is life or death) they should have done something about the availability of high-powered guns...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

The myth that the traffic stop is the most dangerous activity a cop performs needs to end.

I didn't say that.

Do you believe that officers should not have a firearm?

Would you do that job without a firearm?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            I think what they do in London makes a lot of sense. What we're doing here is completely insane. I read a year ago or so Ellsworth was going to spend like $10K on new AR-15's, what a complete waste of money. It sends completely the wrong message too. In a small town like that you don't need cops running around with those guns.
            yeah, it's insane
            Ellsworth's AR-15s will spend most of their time collecting dust at the station, but will be taken out when some guy holds himself up in his trailer and causes an armed stand-off to commit suicide by cop

Comment

I didn't say that.

I would in some other country with sane gun laws. So i guess you have a point. Until we fix America's gun fetish, we're stuck with amped up trigger happy traffic cops.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                I would in some other country with sane gun laws. So i guess you have a point. Until we fix America's gun fetish, we're stuck with amped up trigger happy traffic cops.
                The discussion about if police need to be armed is so varied depending on location. In most of the country, it would probably work to disarm the police that are simply patrolling. But in some areas, like in South Chicago, that would be suicide. It isn't something that can be decided on with a blanket statement.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I think it's exactly the opposite. The vast majority of cops should not be armed. SWAT teams etc. should have guns and insane amounts of training, calling them in should be an escalation, and they should have wide latitude. But Barney Fife shouldn't have a gun for the same reason that store security shouldn't have a gun.

But isn't it possible that somebody stopped for shoplifting the store will get away because store security doesn't have a gun? Yep. And there's no shoot out because store security doesn't have a gun. Likewise, if I have drugs in my trunk I may just drive away from the stop because Barney Fife doesn't have a gun. And there's no shoot out on Main Street. And the cops run my plates and my other info and now there's a warrant and the well-trained boys with deadly force are on my trail.

This will require a huge social change in the mindset of what we are willing to put up with from our police. It will face tremendous resistance. Right now there's very little public pressure because the people who get murdered by cops are by and large the Poors and of course they don't matter. They don't buy stuff so they have no rights.

But there are a lot of them, and they can still vote, so maybe someday they'll figure it out.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    99% of officers will retire having never drawn their weapon on duty, let alone fired it.

The myth that the traffic stop is the most dangerous activity a cop performs needs to end.
                    99% might be close for a firing rate, but the percentage that have never drawn their weapon has to be much, MUCH lower... Several cops that I know personally have drawn weapons.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Just remember. Even though we're not going to do anything and this stuff still happens let's not forget what the Republicans have done the last year.

1. They rescinded the policy against mentally ill people having access to guns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2985698

2. The House is working on making it easier to get and use a silencer.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/21/news...act/index.html

Both policies are insane and changes to existing law that make things worse. But, hey, this is what we voted for.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I think we have had a very measured, productive and civil conversation so far. I think that is a good thing, and something that all of us can benefit from. I also think that we're on the verge of devolving completely into throwing **** at each other again, and hopefully that doesn't happen. We all have opinions, but as far as I know, none of us are actually in a position to put forward a bill, so this is purely an academic/theoretical discussion.
                        I think dialog happens when sides discuss facts and solutions. Speaking for the gun control side, most get frustrated when the gun side discounts every fact supplied and doesn't come up with any solutions of their own...at which the gun control side gets upset and ultimately gives up (for now). I also think sometimes there is this 'I will not compromise' point of view that makes nothing get done.

BTW it may be my opinion but it seems like you're more moderate than I recall. But message boards are notably bad for getting an accurate read on someone.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          The discussion about if police need to be armed is so varied depending on location. In most of the country, it would probably work to disarm the police that are simply patrolling. But in some areas, like in South Chicago, that would be suicide. It isn't something that can be decided on with a blanket statement.

I put my foot in my mouth with my wife's coworker's husband who is a town police officer in a "suburb" of Madison with a population of 12k when I implied that he didn't have it so bad working in such a place comparatively speaking.

He told me a couple of stories of the domestic dispute calls that he had to go on that were about as tense as could possibly be. Claimed they were the most dangerous things he had to do on the job.

I'm guessing he'd disagree with any who believe he doesn't need a firearm to do his job.

AFAIK, he hasn't gunned down anyone who had a broken taillight yet either.

Comment

Photos from the room. Paddock used a bump stock.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-show-assault/
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I didn't say that.

I wouldn't do the job with or without a firearm for a variety of reasons, so I'm not the person to ask that.

Comment

I put my foot in my mouth with my wife's coworker's husband who is a town police officer in a "suburb" of Madison with a population of 12k when I implied that he didn't have it so bad working in such a place comparatively speaking.

He told me a couple of stories of the domestic dispute calls that he had to go on that were about as tense as could possibly be. Claimed they were the most dangerous things he had to do on the job.

I'm guessing he'd disagree with any who believe he doesn't need a firearm to do his job.

AFAIK, he hasn't gunned down anyone who had a broken taillight yet either.
                                I think, what is being suggested, would be in a situation where there is a call like this, it wouldn't be the unarmed patrol officers dispatched. It would some other more armed squad that is trained for that type of situation.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X