X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Well, unfortunately, the idiot that would want to build his own magazine is probably the same idiot that actually has the types of skills needed to build his own magazine. He might not be able to spell "magazine" but he could fabricate one.

You won't ever be able to stop everyone, but I'm not too worried about the percentage of metal workers who are predisposed to become mass murderers.

They are FAR outnumbered by the ones who can legally purchase AR-15s and ammo.

Comment

I think we have had a very measured, productive and civil conversation so far. I think that is a good thing, and something that all of us can benefit from. I also think that we're on the verge of devolving completely into throwing **** at each other again, and hopefully that doesn't happen. We all have opinions, but as far as I know, none of us are actually in a position to put forward a bill, so this is purely an academic/theoretical discussion.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        No reason why police can't have higher capacity handguns than private citizens.
        You missed the other portion: semi-automatic --> one trigger pull, one round fire (no other operator action required until magazine is empty).

A revolver fails your criteria: one round per trigger action (no other action required), five or more rounds.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          As long as you have a machine shop and can work with sheet metal, right?

I understand that there are how-to's on the interwebs for almost anything.

Doesn't mean just anybody could pull it off.

I'd have more faith in Brent's underworld connections than the average idiot building his own high capacity magazine.
          I've never thought about it before, but it's more just a matter of extending an existing 5-shot magazine with a longer spring and longer box. The hard part is already done. A hammer, a hacksaw, pliers, a screwdriver, probably a vise. I'm sure if they're banned, more thought will be put into it by some people. The point is it's not some complicated piece of machinery.

I'd say you should perhaps be for banning all but single-shot rifles and shotguns to effectively do what you want to do. Otherwise it's much too easy to get around restrictions with a tiny bit of ingenuity, of which people have lots.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

This is completely a regulation problem. They can make guns that can't be modified and smart guns prevent people from firing guns that they don't own and wasn't made for them.

Instead we allow the manufacturer's to make the guns in this simplified way to keep the cost down one, AND to allow modification two. This increases sales and profits but it's ROTTEN governmental policy.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

From a purely political viewpoint, if guns, a Constitutional right, go away (a sacred political cow of one side) something else large (a sacred political cow of the other side) must go away at the same time. Pragmatically that's the only way it happens in today's purely polarized political environment. Neither side is going to budge unless they can claim some sort of victory.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The plot thickens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZeiunoX7bY

Pretty sure he's right about a strobe light instead of being from a gun itself, but "not that kind of guy" just doesn't sit right with me.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  This is completely a regulation problem.
                  Regulations only work when people choose follow them. See: speed limits.

(Scoob probably drove 38 in a 40 mph zone all the way to work today.)

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    The plot thickens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZeiunoX7bY

Pretty sure he's right about a strobe light instead of being from a gun itself, but "not that kind of guy" just doesn't sit right with me.
                    wow. mookie has heard that dude on the radio before. certainly NOT the face mookie had pictured in his brain attached to the voice. whoa
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

So why have any laws then? Millions of people are breaking almost every law every day.

Jesus the rhetoric from your side is so predictable and illogical it literally boggles the mind.

Of course if this killer was named Malik Jackson methinks the "Gun Control Isnt The Problem" canard wouldnt be what your side was spewing just like it wasnt with Philando Castille.
                      Last edited by Handyman; 10-03-2017, 09:09 AM.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

See: speed bumps, police with radar/lidar, and fines.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          This is completely a regulation problem. They can make guns that can't be modified and smart guns prevent people from firing guns that they don't own and wasn't made for them.

Instead we allow the manufacturer's to make the guns in this simplified way to keep the cost down one, AND to allow modification two. This increases sales and profits but it's ROTTEN governmental policy.
                          From someone who is a gunowner, and someone who doesn't want to loose that right, I think that regulations that make guns so they cannot be modified, or harder to be modified is a great idea. Fully automatic guns are illegal, and to me, it makes sense to make it as difficult as possible to convert a gun to be fully automatic.

One of the things that I struggle with is defining, in technical terms, what makes a gun more dangerous than another. We try to put it in terms of size of magazines, and semi-automatic, but there are some blurry lines there. If you were to limit long guns (rifles, shotguns) that have removable magazines to only having say 6 shots, that has no impact on hunting. But, I don't know if that makes sense for handguns, when the people that own them have them for the theoretical use of home defense.

I do think that anyone that buys/owns a gun should be required to have taken a safety course. Hell, I had to take a safety course before my dad let me go target shooting with him when I was a teen. That is common sense to me, and something that should be easy to do (in today's political climate, nothing is actually going to be easy). Background checks are good, but that system already exists, and people still get by it. So somehow there needs to be better integration with mental health, along with a very defined definition of what it means to have mental health issues that preclude gun ownership. Gun registrations is something that I wouldn't be comfortable with, but at this point, if you're going through a background check, that does exist. I also think that there should be laws that hold gun owners responsible if their weapons are used in a crime or an accident, and it is determined that they did not properly store and lock their guns.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            From someone who is a gunowner, and someone who doesn't want to loose that right, I think that regulations that make guns so they cannot be modified, or harder to be modified is a great idea. Fully automatic guns are illegal, and to me, it makes sense to make it as difficult as possible to convert a gun to be fully automatic.

One of the things that I struggle with is defining, in technical terms, what makes a gun more dangerous than another. We try to put it in terms of size of magazines, and semi-automatic, but there are some blurry lines there. If you were to limit long guns (rifles, shotguns) that have removable magazines to only having say 6 shots, that has no impact on hunting. But, I don't know if that makes sense for handguns, when the people that own them have them for the theoretical use of home defense.

I do think that anyone that buys/owns a gun should be required to have taken a safety course. Hell, I had to take a safety course before my dad let me go target shooting with him when I was a teen. That is common sense to me, and something that should be easy to do (in today's political climate, nothing is actually going to be easy). Background checks are good, but that system already exists, and people still get by it. So somehow there needs to be better integration with mental health, along with a very defined definition of what it means to have mental health issues that preclude gun ownership. Gun registrations is something that I wouldn't be comfortable with, but at this point, if you're going through a background check, that does exist. I also think that there should be laws that hold gun owners responsible if their weapons are used in a crime or an accident, and it is determined that they did not properly store and lock their guns.
                            That is very sensible stuff. The NRA will have none of it.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              That is very sensible stuff. The NRA will have none of it.
                              Which is why I am no longer a member of the NRA. They do still send me hats and pamphlets trying to convince me to join though. So if you want an ugly *** brown NRA hat, I'm your guy.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You missed the other portion: semi-automatic --> one trigger pull, one round fire (no other operator action required until magazine is empty).

A revolver fails your criteria: one round per trigger action (no other action required), five or more rounds.
                                jesus christ, this is an internet discussion board, not some final draft of legislation. Obviously some of the ideas people are throwing out may have problems.

I'd actually be okay banning every handgun except revolvers

Comment

Working...
                                X