X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I think you're being sarcastic....but I think that legitimately is a surprise...
    I don't. The Bump Stocks aren't the problem. It's the ease in which the guns are modified that is the problem. That doesn't go away if Bump Stocks no longer are commercially available. The NRA knows this.

Guns need to be more expensive, smart, and built in ways that don't allow easy modification. That will never happen with the NRA. As everything else has technologically advanced guns really haven't for the most part. Just on the margins.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      On this we fully agree. I suspect we also have about 90% overlap in what we'd do about it, leaving aside the "abstinence is murder" fanaticism and "just war" jiggery pokery.
      (a) Not quite. Painful maybe. Abstinence means not doing.
      (b) Facing pure evil or certain annihilation by doing nothing, I don't think turning the other cheek is a viable foreign policy.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        (a) Not quite. Painful maybe. Abstinence means not doing.
        (b) Facing pure evil or certain annihilation by doing nothing, I don't think turning the other cheek is a viable foreign policy.
        (a) No. If the soul is created at the moment of fertilization, abstinence is the greatest genocide the world has ever known. The Magic Man's miscarriages are second.

(b) No. "Just War" has always been a cynical accommodation of power politics. It goes well beyond self-defense.

I know you're wrong about (a) and (b) but otherwise, 90% agreement, and that's well above the mean. If either of us can't live with that, that's not a rational dispute anymore, it's an ideological Purity Test.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          If the soul is created at the moment of fertilization, abstinence is the greatest genocide the world has ever known.
          um, might want to double check your logic there chief. Or find a good textbook if you're still unsure of the order these things happen in.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            um, might want to double check your logic there chief. Or find a good textbook if you're still unsure of the order these things happen in.
            Can't fertilize if you're not getting it on. And a cluster of cells is no more a human being than a glint in a date rapist's eye.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Ouch.

I joke with my wife(who is a teacher and hardcore liberal) that I'm going to stick an NRA sticker on her car.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I'm shocked to see reports that the NRA is backing a review by the ATF's prior decision to permit bump stocks. The NRA is actually calling for a new gun regulation.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I'm shocked to see reports that the NRA is backing a review by the ATF's prior decision to permit bump stocks. The NRA is actually calling for a new gun regulation.
                  The NRA cares about people's safety. That is their main function.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Can't fertilize if you're not getting it on.
                    Exactly, that's where your logic fails. You said "If the soul is created at the moment of fertilization, abstinence is the greatest genocide the world has ever known" which puts it backwards.
                    ... I guess you mean to point out that somehow reducing the chance of creating the conditions for the potential formation of a life is the same thing as knowingly committing an abortion of a living person? But that seems like a pretty far reach. If that passes for logic then every action any person ever takes is murder, according to an unknowable progression of consequences (like turning left at an intersection, or swatting a fly, or etc)
                    edit... nevermind. It begins to dawn on me that you were trolling and I bit on it.
                    Last edited by geezer; 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      Hilarious trolling dood!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        jfc
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          Exactly, that's where your logic fails. You said "If the soul is created at the moment of fertilization, abstinence is the greatest genocide the world has ever known" which puts it backwards.
                          ... I guess you mean to point out that somehow reducing the chance of creating the conditions for the potential formation of a life is the same thing as knowingly committing an abortion of a living person? But that seems like a pretty far reach. If that passes for logic then every action any person ever takes is murder, according to an unknowable progression of consequences (like turning left at an intersection, or swatting a fly, or etc)
                          edit... nevermind. It begins to dawn on me that you were trolling and I bit on it.
                          I wasn't really trolling. I was trying to underline the silliness of equating a fertilized egg, which is a biochemical process, with a human being, by simply extending the metaphor back even further to its reductio ad absurdum. But it fell flat.

I think instead I'll just stick with basing one's morality on iron age magic books makes about as much sense to me as divination and astrology.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            0/10. A kindergartener could troll better.

Comment

Paddock began his gun buying spree in Oct of 2016 (he bought guns prior to that but Oct 2016 is when it began to really ramp)...so he goes nuts Oct 1, 2017. May be a simple thought but what happened in October of 2016 tat set him down this path and is it possible Oct 1 was the anniversary of whatever set him off?
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Paddock began his gun buying spree in Oct of 2016 (he bought guns prior to that but Oct 2016 is when it began to really ramp)...so he goes nuts Oct 1, 2017. May be a simple thought but what happened in October of 2016 tat set him down this path and is it possible Oct 1 was the anniversary of whatever set him off?
                                It could be that there's a certain purchasing rate for guns that keeps him under the FBI, DHS, and ATF lists, like layering money payments the way money launderers do.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X