X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    How does something like that translate to preventing gun deaths? Are we going to encompass all outdoor events in veils of Kevlar?
    It doesn't, I wasn't really trying to argue against that point or anything obviously. The car comparison that gun nuts like to make is stupid for a number of reasons obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      It doesn't, I wasn't really trying to argue against that point or anything obviously. The car comparison that gun nuts like to make is stupid for a number of reasons obviously.
      I was using someone else's comparison. Who started it? It felt contrived at best, and far too many issues to ever be considered analogous.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        How does something like that translate to preventing gun deaths? Are we going to encompass all outdoor events in veils of Kevlar?
        we can add bollards between the sidewalk and road when possible to stop cars from driving off the road. Same with outdoor events -- cement barriers and steel bollards can reduce the risk of automobile / crowd interaction

unfortunately we can't do the same for guns at this point. we can't secure an outdoor venue with nearby tall buildings. not possible.

it's going to be a long process. First, we can make it harder to get these kinds of weapons. Ban the sale of all assault rifles. eventually we need to reduce the number in circulation by making it a felony to posses them and offer amnesty for people turning them in

things like the DC sniper will always be possible as long as hunting is legal/allowed and people posses hunting rifles.
        Last edited by BassAle; 10-05-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Put another way, if guns and gun users were as regulated as cars and drivers of cars, that'd make for a great start.
          I joked about this a few days back. Glad to see it's swinging around again.

While I'd be for it, I'm not sure what good a state level FOID card would do in a situation like Las Vegas (or Sandy Hook, or wherever). If all these items were purchased on the up-and-up, and personally modified after the fact, that's something a yearly or every-four-year renewal isn't going to catch.

I too can legally rent a box truck and pick up gardening supplies and gasoline on the way home with it.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            No, we can't stop people from killing other people.

But why is it so bad to put in efforts to reduce the amount of harm these people can do? Smaller magazines would have shortened the time each gun could be used. Taking out the mechanism that allowed the guns to fire automatically would have also reduced the number of shots fire. Both would have reduced the number of dead an injured.

Why should we accept HUGE mass murders when they can be reduced by some very simple means?

The goal can never be 0 mass murders, as that is impossible- I agree. And that "goal" should also not be the reason we do nothing.

I'm tired of the "evil is evil" excuse against efforts to reduce how evil someone can be.
            And that is pretty much exactly what I said.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              There's truth to the idea that evil will find a way to do its work, but that's not the same as accepting or encouraging it. But you reminded me of how someone on here attested to a constant hail of bullets over I-394 that they had to drive through every day. I wonder if that terrorist group was ever shut down? Is it still a war zone down there?
              That was 5mn_Major
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                YOUR side is that we should do NOTHING. When reduction in harm is so easy. Not elimination, for sure. But the potential harm can be reduced.
                I think you're misrepresenting what several of the people that you perceive to be against you are saying. I think there have been several of us, that post here, and are gun owners, that have already posted that we are in favor of taking some actions to reduce the harm. Several pages ago I listed several things I'd be in favor of, in terms of gun control, that in my opinion would make a positive impact, and they were pretty well received, I thought.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  According to Fox and Friends, it's athiest's fault: https://www.salon.com/2017/10/04/ste...x-and-friends/

Steve Doocy has a mangina.
                  joe probably approves of this theory...
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I hear we don't have any basis for morality because we're not terrified of being tortured for all eternity.

Because that's "character," dontchaknow?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Ouch.

Surprise!!!!

@NBCPolitics: NRA: "Devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations." https://***********/NBCPolitics/stat...366016/photo/1
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Joe thinks we have devalued the concept of human life into (almost) disposable entities.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I think you're being sarcastic....but I think that legitimately is a surprise...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Surprise!!!!
                            "subject to additional regulations."

That sure is a funny way of spelling illegal.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I don't think that's ever been something joe has said, that we're bad people for being Atheists. He may think we're all going to Hell, but that's to be expected of any Christian.

A particular Gopher fan on this site, however, he has said things like that.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Joe thinks we have devalued the concept of human life into (almost) disposable entities.
                                On this we fully agree. I suspect we also have about 90% overlap in what we'd do about it, leaving aside the "abstinence is murder" fanaticism and "just war" jiggery pokery.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X