X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Don't forget the very, very fake sympathy for the dead and injured, since there's nothing we can do.

Morons who buy into the gun industry BS have obviously trained themselves to be numb so that they can go out to the range and have fun.
    Good call. From what I know...those who suffer tragedy would rather not have you just endlessly lament (cancer, etc.). They would rather have you take action to prevent it from occurring to others. But with guns, those with no connection to those lost would rather just 'lament' and forget.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I would never dispute that as two friends have just such setups.

But to imply that anyone could do these things if they wanted to is ridiculous.

My friends have a lifetime invested in the skills that they have developed.

From my experience, the VAST majority of people don't have the patience or dedication to acquire these skills.

To imply that a beginner with a Youtube video or Wiki access could fabricate an automatic weapon - as Wisko did unless I understood him wrong - is asinine.

I'm very handy and a DIY guy and simply good at building things and problem solving and creating things. I'm pretty doubtful as to whether I could pull off building a bow that would shoot straight, let alone a gun since I have no practical experience working in a machine shop.

I'd just go buy one.
      I'd just go buy one too. The point is that if you, a (questionably) normal person can't just buy one, it doesn't preclude you from getting one at all.

Here is an article and video I'm sure I saw sometime in the past. This guy can't even put a bit in a drill press correctly, but yet he manages to produce an unregistered weapon.

Here's an article from a "gun nut" type site from around the same time period..
      The information technology media seems to think that the “Ghost Gunner”—which costs roughly the same as two factory-finished AR-15s at today’s prices—is something new and magical. To be fair, it probably is new for a bunch of technology geeks who know next to nothing about firearms outside of what they’ve seen playing Call of Duty.
      It’s almost much ado about nothing for those who have been building AR-15s lowers and parts kit AKMs using far less expensive home shop tools for decades.
      Using nothing more than a $70-100 drill press or even a hand drill with jigs, people have been completing perfectly functional AR-15 lower receivers since at least the 1990s.
      Likewise, you can buy all the equipment necessary to build a small factory churning out AKMs (the correct name for AK-series rifles that the media continues to call AK-47s, even though the original Ak-47 series hasn’t been made since 1960) from parts kits and receiver flats for less than $700.
      Wilson’s “Ghost Gunner” CNC machine is far more expensive than either of these options. All you’re really getting for that $1,200 is a bit of machinery that clearly announces your intentions to any government intent seriously intent on identifying the makers of personal firearms, a comforting level of “plug and play” capability, and a reduced margin of error in unskilled hands.
      Is the “Ghost Gunner” worth it?
      It depends on what your goals are.
      If your goal is to make personal firearms without “Big Brother” knowing what you are doing, then no, it probably isn’t worth the investment when less expensive tools with a much more versatility can be used to achieve similar results.

I myself recall reading post "assault weapons" ban magazine articles about this same subject from the 90's. It's not new. It's not even illegal as long as a person fills out some paperwork completes a background check and registers the gun. Of course I imagine some people don't do that.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Good call. From what I know...those who suffer tragedy would rather not have you just endlessly lament (cancer, etc.). They would rather have you take action to prevent it from occurring to others. But with guns, those with no connection to those lost would rather just 'lament' and forget.
        I don't know about that, but what I have trouble with in regards to the reaction to this particular tragedy is the notion that if the laws were just different, it would have been avoided, or at least minimized. If for example, only single shot rifles and shotguns were legal it would have been different. To me what would have been different is that this guy would have chosen some other method, as he was clearly intent on inflicting a maximum amount of carnage. A simple explosive device like in Boston. A truck, as this was adjacent to Las Vegas Blvd and surrounded only by Las Vegas temp fencing. He had a pilots license. He had explosive materials and fuel tanks adjacent. He clearly planned for at least months. I'm sure there are other ways and other opportunities for a lunatic bent on destruction, yet the prevailing thought is that it's the guns that are the thing, and without these guns... ...Well, what? He would have just settled for shooting a couple people or maybe even just stuck to video poker? I'm sorry, but I just have a difficult time with that logic as it relates to this incident, and others like it.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Hey There!

http://www.gopusa.com/?p=31324?omhide=true
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Forgive me if I won't hold my breath waiting for it. There's probably people lining up to call Gingrich a RINO now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              I don't know about that, but what I have trouble with in regards to the reaction to this particular tragedy is the notion that if the laws were just different, it would have been avoided, or at least minimized. If for example, only single shot rifles and shotguns were legal it would have been different. To me what would have been different is that this guy would have chosen some other method, as he was clearly intent on inflicting a maximum amount of carnage. A simple explosive device like in Boston. A truck, as this was adjacent to Las Vegas Blvd and surrounded only by Las Vegas temp fencing. He had a pilots license. He had explosive materials and fuel tanks adjacent. He clearly planned for at least months. I'm sure there are other ways and other opportunities for a lunatic bent on destruction, yet the prevailing thought is that it's the guns that are the thing, and without these guns... ...Well, what? He would have just settled for shooting a couple people or maybe even just stuck to video poker? I'm sorry, but I just have a difficult time with that logic as it relates to this incident, and others like it.
              Which is a long and drawn out way of saying that we can do nothing.

Thanks for your very fake and hollow concern.

Just get used to this happening.

Comment

Originally posted by dave122793 View Post
                Forgive me if I won't hold my breath waiting for it. There's probably people lining up to call Gingrich a RINO now.
                Right in the comment section.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  Even so, why make it so easy? It's mind-boggling that this guy apparently didn't have to break a single law up to the moment he opened fire other than "destruction of property", perhaps, for breaking two windows. Could there be a valid reason for a guy to buy 40 guns, make whatever modifications to speed fire, buy thousands of rounds, tote them all up to a hotel room? No, there should obviously be some barrier to entry on that whole strategy.
                  At least building a bomb is illegal and flagging those purchases would have given law enforcement a reason to talk to him.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Which is a long and drawn out way of saying that we can do nothing.

Thanks for your very fake and hollow concern.

Just get used to this happening.
                    I think we all should get used to it, because in my opinion it isn't going to stop. I say this even while agreeing that we should be enacting some more common-sense gun control reforms to help prevent this stuff. Sure, it will probably help, but I don't think it is going to stop these kinds of tragedies from happening. The problem is the person, and we can and should do things to prevent an evil person from doing evil, but as long as the evil person is still out there, we're always going to be at risk of going through another massive tragedy.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Even so, why make it so easy? It's mind-boggling that this guy apparently didn't have to break a single law up to the moment he opened fire other than "destruction of property", perhaps, for breaking two windows. Could there be a valid reason for a guy to buy 40 guns, make whatever modifications to speed fire, buy thousands of rounds, tote them all up to a hotel room? No, there should obviously be some barrier to entry on that whole strategy.
                      At least building a bomb is illegal and flagging those purchases would have given law enforcement a reason to talk to him.
                      Were any of the ingredients in the Boston bombs illegal? I thought most of them used hydrogen peroxide. I'm obviously pro-gun and I would give up some rights if it kept people safe. Unfortunately there are a lot of ways people can do harm, especially if they are willing to give up their lives.

I was telling some people from overseas about the DC snipers a few months, for me that is the freakiest thing we have ever had happen here. They were only using like a bolt action rifle and not a lot of bullets.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Were any of the ingredients in the Boston bombs illegal? I thought most of them used hydrogen peroxide. I'm obviously pro-gun and I would give up some rights if it kept people safe. Unfortunately there are a lot of ways people can do harm, especially if they are willing to give up their lives.

I was telling some people from overseas about the DC snipers a few months, for me that is the freakiest thing we have ever had happen here. They were only using like a bolt action rifle and not a lot of bullets.
                        DC sniper victim #1 was shot just down the street from us. My wife still swears that the car was parked on our street the day before.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          I'm obviously pro-gun and I would give up some rights if it kept people safe. Unfortunately there are a lot of ways people can do harm, especially if they are willing to give up their lives.
                          Both true statements, but B has no bearing on A. We don't say, "all sorts of things can kill a driver so what's the point of seat belts?"
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            DC sniper victim #1 was shot just down the street from us. My wife still swears that the car was parked on our street the day before.
                            The Benjamin Tasker Middle School in Bowie, MD, where Malvo shot the 13-year-old boy, that's just two blocks from the house where my family lived when I was a newborn. My brothers were quick to point out that little fact.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

There's truth to the idea that evil will find a way to do its work, but that's not the same as accepting or encouraging it. But you reminded me of how someone on here attested to a constant hail of bullets over I-394 that they had to drive through every day. I wonder if that terrorist group was ever shut down? Is it still a war zone down there?
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Was that the day they shot four or five people? I know even living in Mass every time I got gas or went into the store or whatever I'd be looking around and hoping for the best. I know everyone else was the same way. I can't imagine what it was like actually being in the same area.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X