This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Not “fairly easily” by any stretch to fabricate an automatic rifle. It would take unusually high levels of skill, knowledge, effort, and a huge investment in machining equipment. Such a person is a very wide exception.
    You can do it even while in prison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Not “fairly easily” by any stretch to fabricate an automatic rifle. It would take unusually high levels of skill, knowledge, effort, and a huge investment in machining equipment. Such a person is a very wide exception.
      Well you guys are the experts on this stuff, but I disagree.
      There are thousands, probably tens of thousands, of these types of home-built semi-automatic firearms out there. Perhaps not full auto, but as has been discussed, that's a relatively minor issue to overcome.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Well you guys are the experts on this stuff, but I disagree.
        There are thousands, probably tens of thousands, of these types of home-built semi-automatic firearms out there. Perhaps not full auto, but as has been discussed, that's a relatively minor issue to overcome.
        I don’t doubt there are but I object to the “fairly simple” characterization. It takes a serious commitment, it’s not like building a BLT. Has someone with that ability ever used it in a mass murder?
        Anyway, whether this guy built or modified, glad he was caught. Contrary to popular opinion there are cops out there doing good and important work for us.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Was going to respond, but then I saw that Wisko not only made up estimated numbers with no source, but also backpedaled. So why bother?

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
            I don’t doubt there are but I object to the “fairly simple” characterization. It takes a serious commitment, it’s not like building a BLT. Has someone with that ability ever used it in a mass murder?
            Anyway, whether this guy built or modified, glad he was caught. Contrary to popular opinion there are cops out there doing good and important work for us.
            Why would they? Most of the guns used in these crimes were purchased legally.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Was going to respond, but then I saw that Wisko not only made up estimated numbers with no source, but also backpedaled. So why bother?
              I'd think it would be self evident that there is no source for numbers of guns produced in homes when the idea for some is to have a gun with no serial number that the government or anyone else knows you have.

For others they may want to do it for the same reason a guy builds a cabinet or a model airplane -- as a hobby. I have a friend who built a '32 Ford coupe in his garage. He ordered most of the parts. Like car parts, many gun parts wear out with use, so naturally there are replacement parts - barrels, triggers, springs, etc. available for sale. What you can't buy for an AR (for example) is the lower receiver, which is what houses everything and holds it together. This part is in fact "the gun" with the serial number on it, and it is regulated exactly like a complete gun is.
              Now you can buy this part unfinished, and therefore unregulated, and finish milling it yourself with a $100 drill press. You can, for around $1500, buy a small CNC machine that will mill the whole thing from scratch out of a piece of aluminum stock at the push of a button. You can 3-d print one. (I wouldn't feel to good about that, but apparently it works.) There are other ways. You need no real skills to do most of these things and it has been done for years and years.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                I'd think it would be self evident that there is no source for numbers of guns produced in homes when the idea for some is to have a gun with no serial number that the government or anyone else knows you have.

For others they may want to do it for the same reason a guy builds a cabinet or a model airplane -- as a hobby. I have a friend who built a '32 Ford coupe in his garage. He ordered most of the parts. Like car parts, many gun parts wear out with use, so naturally there are replacement parts - barrels, triggers, springs, etc. available for sale. What you can't buy for an AR (for example) is the lower receiver, which is what houses everything and holds it together. This part is in fact "the gun" with the serial number on it, and it is regulated exactly like a complete gun is.
                Now you can buy this part unfinished, and therefore unregulated, and finish milling it yourself with a $100 drill press. You can, for around $1500, buy a small CNC machine that will mill the whole thing from scratch out of a piece of aluminum stock at the push of a button. You can 3-d print one. (I wouldn't feel to good about that, but apparently it works.) There are other ways. You need no real skills to do most of these things and it has been done for years and years.
                I see. I thought you were talking about building the whole thing, not assembling barrel, action etc out of catalog parts..: I wonder how much cheaper a good semi auto sidearm would be that way? Asking for a friend.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Wow. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...uel_tanks.html

The Las Vegas Review-Journal gives us a chilling glimpse into what could have been, reporting Wednesday that Paddock was also aiming to hit two jet fuel tanks beyond the country music concert with bullets.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I always thought McCarran was a bit too close...

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

How many people are dedicated enough to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I always thought McCarran was a bit too close...

How many people are dedicated enough to do this?
                      I would guess the ones who are innocent enough to keep it as a pure hobby, or the ones demented enough to use the hobby as an aggression.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There are plenty of folks who have mills, lathes, grinders etc in their home shops. People collect and restore old machine shop equipment as a hobby. The internet is full of forums of guys who make beautiful parts to complete machinery in the confines of their homes. Just because you guys have no interest in it doesn't mean others don't. I suspect these skills are going away with generations who think working with their hands is demeaning.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          There are plenty of folks who have mills, lathes, grinders etc in their home shops. People collect and restore old machine shop equipment as a hobby. The internet is full of forums of guys who make beautiful parts to complete machinery in the confines of their homes. Just because you guys have no interest in it doesn't mean others don't. I suspect these skills are going away with generations who think working with their hands is demeaning.

I would never dispute that as two friends have just such setups.

But to imply that anyone could do these things if they wanted to is ridiculous.

My friends have a lifetime invested in the skills that they have developed.

From my experience, the VAST majority of people don't have the patience or dedication to acquire these skills.

To imply that a beginner with a Youtube video or Wiki access could fabricate an automatic weapon - as Wisko did unless I understood him wrong - is asinine.

I'm very handy and a DIY guy and simply good at building things and problem solving and creating things. I'm pretty doubtful as to whether I could pull off building a bow that would shoot straight, let alone a gun since I have no practical experience working in a machine shop.

I'd just go buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            I would never dispute that as two friends have just such setups.

But to imply that anyone could do these things if they wanted to is ridiculous.

My friends have a lifetime invested in the skills that they have developed.

From my experience, the VAST majority of people don't have the patience or dedication to acquire these skills.

To imply that a beginner with a Youtube video or Wiki access could fabricate an automatic weapon - as Wisko did unless I understood him wrong - is asinine.

I'm very handy and a DIY guy and simply good at building things and problem solving and creating things. I'm pretty doubtful as to whether I could pull off building a bow that would shoot straight, let alone a gun since I have no practical experience working in a machine shop.

I'd just go buy one.
                            Not anyone can do it, it only takes one guy who can do it. There are plenty of those guys who could, thankfully most,99.9999 % wouldn't do what Las Vegas guy did. Once again, gun smiths in Maine are plentiful. Guys who do beautiful work. Guys who build guns from scrap. It take talent not just wanting to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

One of the worst parts about this?

The fact that we will be having this exact same discussion in three months after the next shooting and again another 3 months later, etc.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                One of the worst parts about this?

The fact that we will be having this exact same discussion in three months after the next shooting and again another 3 months later, etc.
                                Don't forget the very, very fake sympathy for the dead and injured, since there's nothing we can do.

Morons who buy into the gun industry BS have obviously trained themselves to be numb so that they can go out to the range and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X