X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I have no use for either extreme.

The real world exists in the giant and diverse space that is the middle.
    Non worthwhile extremes on both sides are identifiable in that they have hatred of "the other" in common. They exist to do damage to someone else. Productive discussions are based on the common good...
    ...I know I know, "shuttup FALSE EQUIVALENCY!" the all-purpose shout-down for a hater.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      You know, you seem to spend a lot of time fantasizing about about a certain segment of our society. I understand who you think your boogeyman is. The rural white male, walking around in camo with a Sig Sauer strapped to his waist. Making YouTube videos of him blasting away at target with his AK, NRA card in his wallet, confederate flag in the back window of his pickup, as he waits for church to start.

What I find hilarious is that those aren't the guys who are doing ***** like Las Vegas. Instead, it's frequently just troubled kids, non-white Americans who have been pushed too far, people from populated and traditionally liberal areas of the country or a member of the military who snaps. It ain't your boogeyman, pal. They get it out of their system making the YouTube videos.
      I think you missed the context of my remarks. We were talking about the possibility of political violence from the far right if Trump is impeached. That is why I hopped on my hobbyhorse. If we were talking about violence in general I quite agree that the scope is much more broad and primarily takes in the type of low self-esteem, low education marginalized people who are attracted to any type of radicalized violence.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Non worthwhile extremes on both sides are identifiable in that they have hatred of "the other" in common. They exist to do damage to someone else. Productive discussions are based on the common good...
        ...I know I know, "shuttup FALSE EQUIVALENCY!" the all-purpose shout-down for a hater.
        FE is probably overused but it is sometimes apt. Also, the all-purpose shout-down of the hater is "you have thoughts I deem bad therefore you are bad." Which again, sometimes is apt (paging Hitler) but more often it's sloppy.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          There is no baseball until March.
          Arent the Mets already eliminated for next year?

(I can say that my best friend is a Mets fan)
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            A WaPo OpEd by Kep's friends at 538.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.425b1a742c61
            So unlike many, I took a look at this.

The author, Leah Libresco, basically said her research said that increased gun control doesn't help. She referenced research that she had done while at 538. When I followed to see the research, there was an obscure article in 538 about gun controls enacted in Britain and Australia. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ass-shootings/ Her net conclusion was not that the laws in Britain and Australia don't help...but rather were inconclusive. Frankly her conclusion was rather dubious anyways. She admitted that gun violence was down...but said you just 'couldn't tell what would have happened without gun controls'. But modern research uses a very simple mechanism for that...a case outside the test for comparison. So if you look at the US during that period...gun violence/mass shootings went up...in stark contrast to Britain and Australia where they went down.

The authors claim that gun controls don't help are strictly based on the authority in her past research...the results of which used poor methodology and were misrepresented. Whether they clearly transfer or not, the examples of Australia and Britain reinforce the case for gun control.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Arent the Mets already eliminated for next year?

(I can say that my best friend is a Mets fan)
              Jeffy could die before opening day.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

The author, Leah Libresco, basically said her research said that increased gun control doesn't help. She referenced research that she had done while at 538. When I followed to see the research, there was an obscure article in 538 about gun controls enacted in Britain and Australia. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ass-shootings/ Her net conclusion was not that the laws in Britain and Australia don't help...but rather were inconclusive. Frankly her conclusion was rather dubious anyways. She admitted that gun violence was down...but said you just 'couldn't tell what would have happened without gun controls'. But modern research uses a very simple mechanism for that...a case outside the test for comparison. So if you look at the US during that period...gun violence/mass shootings went up...in stark contrast to Britain and Australia where they went down.

The authors claim that gun controls don't help are strictly based on the authority in her past research...the results of which used poor methodology and were misrepresented. Whether they clearly transfer or not, the examples of Australia and Britain reinforce the case for gun control.
                You're trying to refute a study that utilized regression testing to find statistically significant factors (population density, income/capita, demographics, general attitude towards violence, population age, etc.) and refuting them with a nation entirely outside the those included in the study. You're not doing yourself any favors here.

What she's saying is that it's not known if gun control measures there were THE cause, A contributing cause, or completely irrelevant in the decrease of gun violence. The regression models couldn't create a high enough confidence factor to responsibly state the cause.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  There was a reason I didn't say heroin (which on it's own still kills less people than guns annually, it's the synthetic opiates that put the number through the roof). So, no, not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    This is the kind of poorly thought-out comment that does nothing to advance the discussion.
                    How is it any different than the position that shooting stuff is fun, and the people who shoot things for fun are responsible, therefore it's ok?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      How is it any different than the position that shooting stuff is fun, and the people who shoot things for fun are responsible, therefore it's ok?
                      Because there is no such thing as responsible meth use?

You've gone full loon. Step back from the ledge.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Because there is no such thing as responsible meth use?

You've gone full loon. Step back from the ledge.
                        Ok, my mistake for including the responsible part from a recent post. It has been stated on this board that shooting is really fun, and if people just tried it they would change their position. The shooting is fun, so guns are fine logic has absolutely been used here.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Crime is way down in the last 25 years and mass shootings have been flat dating back to the 70's. It is cause for concern that the mass shootings are getting significantly larger in scope.

I say this as someone who is obviously very pro gun, it really is remarkable to me that there haven't been more shootings related to conceal carry. I'm a huge proponent of people owning guns but think there should be more stringent requirements to carry. It's one thing Mass gets completely wrong.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            You're trying to refute a study that utilized regression testing to find statistically significant factors (population density, income/capita, demographics, general attitude towards violence, population age, etc.) and refuting them with a nation entirely outside the those included in the study.
                            And in fact the statistical regression showed declines in the kinds of violence it was supposed to. She spent most of the study trying to refute the results - and is now a gun control opponent. Not shocking. In the end the world is full of ivory tower researchers, she probably should have actually gone there and studied it first hand.

40% of Australians are happy with laws as they are. Just 6% want a return to weaker gun control...with 45% wanting even stronger gun controls than the massively restrictive controls they have now. https://newmatilda.com/2015/07/21/wh...t-australians/

Gun control made Australian society better.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                              Ok, my mistake for including the responsible part from a recent post. It has been stated on this board that shooting is really fun, and if people just tried it they would change their position. The shooting is fun, so guns are fine logic has absolutely been used here.

The bolded was stated. You added the rest.

And yes, target practice is fun just like any other pursuit that involves skill.

Trap/skeet is essentially practice for duck hunting - which is also fun, or so I'm told.

You know that there is shooting in the Olympics, right?

Again... the far left and their hysterics and hyperbole are actually a net detriment to anything ever changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Again... the far left and their hysterics and hyperbole are actually a net detriment to anything ever changing.
                                Why is it the right is so focused on what an individual says...and uses it to ignore dealing with the issue. All the right does is try unsuccessfully to refute facts...and ultimately walk away when they can't.

I have never seen gun proponents offer any substantial evidence/facts in support of lax gun controls.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X