X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Then why did you bring that up? Trap and Skeet is an almost 100% position subset of gun ownership. To confuse it with racist target shooting in any way is irresponsible. Confusing these things, even to try to make some kind of point does little to benefit anyone.
    Sigh. It goes back to an earlier post referencing that sort of comparison.

I was responding to said post.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Sigh. It goes back to an earlier post referencing that sort of comparison.

I was responding to said post.
      I must have missed that comparison. Even if you didn't bring it up originally, mistaking legitimate and non-offensive target shooting, such as trap and skeet as nefarious is a gross misrepresentation.

In fact, if anyone in the Twin Cities area is interested in this topic, and wants to see what trap/skeet is about. Let me know. Most of us that own guns have them for sport, and while they are still very dangerous, we handle them with the utmost respect. I wouldn't want to change your beliefs, but give you a glimpse of where some of us are coming from. I'll even convince DX to come out and shoot a round with us.

With all this, it doesn't mean I, and many other responsible gun owners don't think there should be some common sense gun control reforms, like I have mentioned earlier.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm pretty sure you know my stance on guns. If you can show responsibility for the safety and practice of using a gun, go ahead, you are able to own one. More power to you. Not QUITE my thing with my current life status, but I am FOR the right to own guns and use them. I have a special place in hell for those that just buy guns because 'Murica and "I can shoot what I wanna shoot" attitudes.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I have a special place in hell for those that just buy guns because 'Murica and "I can shoot what I wanna shoot" attitudes.

Even if they never use them in an illegal manner?

Dang!

You're to the left of most in here.

Comment

More information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSe9RY3j1Nk

And you all took the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Here fishy, fishy.

http://www.snopes.com/second-gunman-...-mandalay-bay/
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                Did you expect any kind of intelligent or rational thought? You know better.
                I just wanted to check. There are a lot of women who like to shoot.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  “Did this person get radicalized unbeknownst to us? And we want to identify that source,” said Clark County Nevada Sheriff Lombardo, 10/3/2017.
                  the source of his radicalization is probably the NRA

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

was the girl on the 7th floor the same one who detonated the bomb in the wtc tower that housed all the federal offices?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      Even if they never use them in an illegal manner?

Dang!

You're to the left of most in here.

You know the stereotypical kind:
                      "Hey check out my awesome tricked out gun, man!"
                      "So, what are you gonna use it for?"
                      "I dunno. Shootin' sh*, I guess."

Um......no.

Hunters have a reason to own a gun. Target/skeet shooters have a reason to own a gun. People who want to protect their property/family/etc have a reason to own a gun. "Just shootin' sh*" people don't really have a reason...you know?

Comment

I would argue that sport shooting, skeet/trap, is one of the best reasons to own guns. As a hobby, it is very fun, and a great way to spend time. And, as a gun owner, I would hold my time and experience shooting trap and skeet as one of the better reasons to own guns.

Gun owners of this ilk are not the problem, and even the most strident gun control advocates would be hard pressed to frame sport trap/skeet shooting as a bad thing.
                        I'm a lefty. I only own one gun, and the only thing I use it for is shooting paper targets. I haven't even done that for several years though. It's only a .22 (semi-automatic with a 5 round magazine), so it's not the type of gun someone would go on a rampage with. Fun for shooting paper targets, and the ammo is cheaper. I've even given some thought to hunting, so in that case I'd be in the market for something else (although my grandfather used to use this same .22 for hunting pheasants). As a lefty I think hunting for food is fine, I'd probably even feel a little bad about killing the animal but as someone that eats meat its a responsibility I should be willing to take, however I think trophy hunters are psychopaths.

It might be "fun" to shoot an assault rifle or even a fully automatic machine gun. That's not a good enough reason for them to be legal though.

Comment

I would argue that sport shooting, skeet/trap, is one of the best reasons to own guns. As a hobby, it is very fun, and a great way to spend time. And, as a gun owner, I would hold my time and experience shooting trap and skeet as one of the better reasons to own guns.

Gun owners of this ilk are not the problem, and even the most strident gun control advocates would be hard pressed to frame sport trap/skeet shooting as a bad thing.
                          You know what else is pretty fun, coke and meth. And they kill less people per year than guns. Maybe we should legalize those since they're both fun, and safe(r)!

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            You know what else is pretty fun, coke and meth. And they kill less people per year than guns. Maybe we should legalize those since they're both fun, and safe(r)!
                            The Declaration explicitly cites the pursuit of happiness, and the Founders were stoners. Originalism FTW!
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hunters have a reason to own a gun. Target/skeet shooters have a reason to own a gun. People who want to protect their property/family/etc have a reason to own a gun. "Just shootin' sh*" people don't really have a reason...you know?
                              This was my point earlier, except I would debate the merits of the "for protection" argument, especially when you're living in a good area. I sure as hell don't feel the need to open carry in my well-to-do suburb, and in fact I would feel awkward doing it. I'm also not delusional enough to have a hero complex, and think I'm going to save the day on the infinitesimal chance that some nutjob walks into the local Meijer and starts slinging lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The attitudes will change because the country will continue to urbanize and the demographics of the core of the gun cult are doomed. Guns make zero sense in cities and right now the country is being held hostage by rural areas and by elderly cretins who idealize a "simpler time," meaning one in which non-whites and women and non-Christians "knew their place." That isn't permanent. The number of gun fondlers will eventually drop below the critical mass needed to impose their cult on the rest of us. I expect when the shift comes it will be virtually all at once rather than gradual. We lost the ability to have a gradual wind down because their fanaticism has prevented any movement from occurring, so, just like an earthquake...

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be blacks and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
                                You know, you seem to spend a lot of time fantasizing about about a certain segment of our society. I understand who you think your boogeyman is. The rural white male, walking around in camo with a Sig Sauer strapped to his waist. Making YouTube videos of him blasting away at target with his AK, NRA card in his wallet, confederate flag in the back window of his pickup, as he waits for church to start.

What I find hilarious is that those aren't the guys who are doing ***** like Las Vegas. Instead, it's frequently just troubled kids, non-white Americans who have been pushed too far, people from populated and traditionally liberal areas of the country or a member of the military who snaps. It ain't your boogeyman, pal. They get it out of their system making the YouTube videos.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X