X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

The cat is right. You clean up and deal with the immediate mess. Then you call the carpet cleaners.

< way too much experience on subject >
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

In that instance, now's the time to talk to a vet about euthanizing practices.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I have no issue with cops being armed. However, I think we need fewer of them thereby allowing police departments to weed out the sh*theads and use the money on reduced salaries for increased/improved training for the remainder.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          Yeah, America is so special, an embarrassingly high rate of gun violence is just something we need to live with.

I think you are the one that is mistaken.
          I didn't say that. This gun violence won't change until we, as a society, change our attitudes about using guns to solve our problems, take care of our guns responsibly (no sleeping with a loaded one under your pillow, or leaving it in a drawer for your kid to find, etc), and don't hand out a gun to anyone with a clean record (I am for mental health check-offs before being allowed to buy a gun).

I just have slim hopes that the attitudes change.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I didn't say that. This gun violence won't change until we, as a society, change our attitudes about using guns to solve our problems, take care of our guns responsibly (no sleeping with a loaded one under your pillow, or leaving it in a drawer for your kid to find, etc), and don't hand out a gun to anyone with a clean record (I am for mental health check-offs before being allowed to buy a gun).

I just have slim hopes that the attitudes change.
            The attitudes will change because the country will continue to urbanize and the demographics of the core of the gun cult are doomed. Guns make zero sense in cities and right now the country is being held hostage by rural areas and by elderly cretins who idealize a "simpler time," meaning one in which non-whites and women and non-Christians "knew their place." That isn't permanent. The number of gun fondlers will eventually drop below the critical mass needed to impose their cult on the rest of us. I expect when the shift comes it will be virtually all at once rather than gradual. We lost the ability to have a gradual wind down because their fanaticism has prevented any movement from occurring, so, just like an earthquake...

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be blacks and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
            Last edited by Kepler; 10-03-2017, 10:43 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That's good because we're giving the insane Semi-Automatics and Silencers now.
              And bump stocks.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat..._the_spotlight
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                The attitudes will change because the country will continue to urbanize and the demographics of the core of the gun cult are doomed. Guns make zero sense in cities and right now the country is being held hostage by rural areas and by elderly cretins who idealize a "simpler time," meaning one in which non-whites and women and non-Christians "knew their place." That isn't permanent. The number of gun fondlers will eventually drop below the critical mass needed to impose their cult on the rest of us. I expect when the shift comes it will be virtually all at once rather than gradual. We lost the ability to have a gradual wind down because their fanaticism has prevented any movement from occurring, so, just like an earthquake...

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be whites and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
                Because there's no guns in urban areas? Just sayin'.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Good to see Justin Sayin putting in an appearance in this thread. Has Toby Fair also popped in with his analysis?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The only thing that might actually cause attitudes to change would be whites and Muslims starting to buy guns. All of a sudden the fondlers would see the logic of regulation.
                    I'm not sure about that. I was watching CNN today and they showed that support for gun rights has increased significantly in the last 20 years. There are a lot more non-hunters that own guns now versus back in the day. You probably don't want to hear this but since the Brady Bill sunsetted there have been a lot of really cool guns hit the market that appeal to people who didn't have interest in them before.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      I'm not sure about that. I was watching CNN today and they showed that support for gun rights has increased significantly in the last 20 years. There are a lot more non-hunters that own guns now versus back in the day. You probably don't want to hear this but since the Brady Bill sunsetted there have been a lot of really cool guns hit the market that appeal to people who didn't have interest in them before.
                      There's part of the problem.

I was thinking about looking into getting my permit and getting a gun a couple years ago, given the way my life path was headed at the time. It would have been for protection, and would have never left the house except for practice at the local range. As things turned out, path went a different way, and I have no need for a gun in my apt. Not only do I have double-security (entrance and my deadbolt door), but I live in a good neighborhood.

I don't hunt, so that reason is not applicable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        You probably don't want to hear this but since the Brady Bill sunsetted there have been a lot of really cool guns hit the market that appeal to people who didn't have interest in them before.
                        And that, right there, is the problem and the scary part. The NRA stopped being a gun owners' organization about 40 years ago, and is now just a lobbying arm to "Sell baby, sell!" any firearm, to any nutjob, at any cost.

If your reason for owning a specific firearm is that it has a "cool military look", so that you and the boys can setup turban-wearing targets and go play toy soldier out on the Back 40, then you're a loon and you shouldn't own firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          And that, right there, is the problem and the scary part. The NRA stopped being a gun owners' organization about 40 years ago, and is now just a lobbying arm to "Sell baby, sell!" any firearm, to any nutjob, at any cost.

If your reason for owning a specific firearm is that it has a "cool military look", so that you and the boys can setup turban-wearing targets and go play toy soldier out on the Back 40, then you're a loon and you shouldn't own firearms.
                          This. Yeah, shooting a gun is fun and all, but that is NOT the main reason one should own one (I say main, because of target shooters/skeet/etc as a sport).

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I've posted this before but I think a lot of the extremism is to counter the Bloomberg and Brady crowds. It seems like in the last couple of years it has gone a bit too far though. They should stay out of other issues.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Brady Bill. In fact, it's pretty limp legislation in hindsight. The hysteria was ginned up entirely by the NRA's national campaign that it was "unconstitutional", and a "slippery slope", and all the rest of the usual argle bargle.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Brady Bill. In fact, it's pretty limp legislation in hindsight. The hysteria was ginned up entirely by the NRA's national campaign that it was "unconstitutional", and a "slippery slope", and all the rest of the usual argle bargle.
                                It is pretty loose in hindsight. Groundbreaking at the time, but...times have changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X