This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Follow up on that friend of a my friend who was shot in the Las Vegas massacre, he's survived. His kids have been viisiting him in the hospital, and he does some limited walking. Two shots in the back, one put him in critical condition, and now it's only a matter of time and PT to get back to as close as normal as he and his family can be.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Sure, they have influence. But that's because people believe passionately in their particular cause.

I think the point that Sic was trying to make is that while the NRA spends money on political contributions to candidates, overall it's a small drop in the bucket compared with other contributions to candidates.

The NRA is successful not because of the amount of money they spend, but because they are very good at what they do and their target audience already feels strongly about their message. It would be like saying that the only way to convince North Dakota hockey fans to oppose the change of name of their team is to spend a lot of money on advertising or political contributions.
      If that was Sics point he made it poorly. (like most of his points) And even going by your addition to his point it doesnt exactly fly. If that were the case than, as Sic tried to imply, the NEA would have the same sort of influence. It isnt like their membership isnt highly active and motivated. Yet they have almost none. The NRA has supporters on both sides of the aisle because the NRA makes it a wedge issue. If you dare support any sort of reform they not only pull their contributions but they buy ad time against you. (you know, the stuff not covered in Sica's stats) Hell even when their membership disagrees with the leadership (many support a lot of the reforms in some capacity) it doesnt matter so it cant just be about how strong they care about the message.

Your parallel is off. What the NRA would be doing isnt trying to convince UND fans to support the keeping of the name it would be UND telling advertisers/businesses that if they dont 100% back keeping the name UND will not associate with said business but they will actively support all competitors and try and put them out of business.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        It's the term Handy used. He asked me whether I thought they had influence and I said yes.
        No, that's not what my problem is. My problem is you poo pooed it. Like they don't have any. Lobbyist write the laws in this country. The NRA writes the gun laws. They have more than influence. They have total control.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Follow up on that friend of a my friend who was shot in the Las Vegas massacre, he's survived. His kids have been viisiting him in the hospital, and he does some limited walking. Two shots in the back, one put him in critical condition, and now it's only a matter of time and PT to get back to as close as normal as he and his family can be.
          Glad to hear he's doing ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            If that was Sics point he made it poorly. (like most of his points) And even going by your addition to his point it doesnt exactly fly. If that were the case than, as Sic tried to imply, the NEA would have the same sort of influence. It isnt like their membership isnt highly active and motivated. Yet they have almost none. The NRA has supporters on both sides of the aisle because the NRA makes it a wedge issue. If you dare support any sort of reform they not only pull their contributions but they buy ad time against you. (you know, the stuff not covered in Sica's stats) Hell even when their membership disagrees with the leadership (many support a lot of the reforms in some capacity) it doesnt matter so it cant just be about how strong they care about the message.

Your parallel is off. What the NRA would be doing isnt trying to convince UND fans to support the keeping of the name it would be UND telling advertisers/businesses that if they dont 100% back keeping the name UND will not associate with said business but they will actively support all competitors and try and put them out of business.
            The NEA has plenty of influence, but probably has to pay a lot more for it than the NRA does. The reason is that people don't get all excited about NEA lobby points, all of which are just basically code for higher teacher pay. The public is just "meh." That's why the NEA has to donate ten times the money to politicians that the NRA does. People don't get on their phones and call their congressman about "No Child Left Behind." At least not like they do if someone suggests gun control.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Maryland & Delaware

https://wtop.com/maryland/2017/10/po...-knew/slide/1/

With his history, how did he obtain the weapon? Waiting for future developments (that will be buried on page 45 next to foreclosures).
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Maryland & Delaware

With his history, how did he obtain the weapon? Waiting for future developments (that will be buried on page 45 next to foreclosures).
                Huh? This was all over our local news yesterday, and we're not in either state. I swear his name was originally reported as Akbar Ahmed Muhammed or something.

This is without doubt the most interesting thing that ever happened in Elkton. If you ever want to know what Nassau County looks like, imagine if Elkton had 2 million people.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Maryland & Delaware

With stricter gun laws wonderful folk like him will be the only ones with them.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The NRA spends just like other American PACs.
                    But the NRA seems to have more influence.
                    So why is that?

Dare I say the electorate seems to follow through with their POV at the ballot box.
                    Like Kep(?) said, they control a third rail. But that third rail is only hot because of an electorate at the ballot box.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      Like Kep(?) said, they control a third rail. But that third rail is only hot because of an electorate at the ballot box.
                      That's fair as far as it goes, but that rail is hot because they've poured an enormous amount of energy into terrifying gun owners.

NRA : guns :: AARP : social security

Both used spectacularly over-the-top rhetoric to deny even modest changes on the "slippery slope" theory. Both have demonized their political opponents in wildly emotional terms. Both rule by fear, not reason.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Follow up on that friend of a my friend who was shot in the Las Vegas massacre, he's survived.
                        I had a sibling in the crowd. (Near the stage; they were able to crawl under it for cover.)

They asked me to say nothing about it to this point because some who know me know them and they didn't want the associated frenzy. They only started telling people in the last couple days so I'm comfortable saying it here now.

Who do they blame? "The idiot holding trigger." (And that's a quote.)
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Both rule by fear, not reason.
                          You don't spook the herd with a well thought out argument; you spook the herd with thunder and lightning.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            You don't spook the herd with a well thought out argument; you spook the herd with thunder and lightning.
                            True enough.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Jon Glenn, an Army veteran and rancher who lives one county away from Moran, said he bought several Slide Fire devices, found them to be great products, and regards any regulation of them as an infringement of his rights.

“This is about defending yourself from a tyrannical government,” Mr. Glenn said, standing at a gun range. “I don’t think we need any more gun laws.”
                              https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/u...imes&smtyp=cur

How does one who was in the Army of the United States of America actually believe that you can protect yourself from a tyrannical government with a gun? How fffing delusional do you have to be?

The article tells the story of the small town that basically only exists right now because they manufacture bump stocks. And now that's gone. Well, welcome to society. Products (businesses) go up and they go down.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                With stricter gun laws wonderful folk like him will be the only ones with them.
                                And the police.

I'm not sure you get this...but for many, that's very much a net positive outcome.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X