This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    This happened at my daughters middle school today, so I'd say that you probably can't shield them from it.
    It seems like a wonderful place, but there is something seriously wrong with Colorado. Why do they keep having these things happen?
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      It seems like a wonderful place, but there is something seriously wrong with Colorado. Why do they keep having these things happen?
      Yes, the problem is unique to Colorado
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
      Your finger will get tired scrolling through the list for the 21st century.

Maybe the problem is the uniquely American attitude that guns are farking awesome, everyone is entitled to have however many they please, and that shooting is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        Yes, the problem is unique to Colorado
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
        Your finger will get tired scrolling through the list for the 21st century.

Maybe the problem is the uniquely American attitude that guns are farking awesome, everyone is entitled to have however many they please, and that shooting is fun.
        Say it again.

Comment

@nbcboston: RIGHT NOW: Texas Tech on lockdown after campus police officer shot and killed; authorities hunting for gunman. https://trib.al/L0DcCKj
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So, you're saying that maybe more laws won't matter a whole lot? Huh. Many of us have said that for a while now.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              So, you're saying that maybe more laws won't matter a whole lot? Huh. Many of us have said that for a while now.
              Uh no, I'm saying that laws are needed to overcome that incredibly stupid attitude

Comment

Uh no, I'm saying that laws are needed to overcome that incredibly stupid attitude
                No laws will do that. It will take many years of shifting of views of the guns themselves.

Used to be, if you had an issue, you either talked it out, or maybe duked it out. Now? It's "Gonna get my gun and solve this." (Yes, mental health is now more recognizable, also, along with other things that contribute to the "gun = solution" mentality)
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

No laws will do that. It will take many years of shifting of views of the guns themselves.

Used to be, if you had an issue, you either talked it out, or maybe duked it out. Now? It's "Gonna get my gun and solve this." (Yes, mental health is now more recognizable, also, along with other things that contribute to the "gun = solution" mentality)
                  No, it didn't. How do you balance that with violent crime including shootings being significantly down from "the good old days"? The difference is easily accessible 24 hour national news coverage vs seeing the whole countries news covered in 30 minutes and 30 minutes of local news. It FEELS worse. There is 24/7 competition to broadcast the most sensational crap available.

Gun owners seem to pride themselves on being "law abiding ', let's put that to the test.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Well, that's funny because a hotel owner in Las Vegas does this very thing. And I'm fine with it. But, fine, it's stupid. What else you going to do? Metal Detectors? Turn hotels into the airport?
                    Millie's has a metal detector and an X-ray belt for bags

Happy as a clam!!
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

No, it didn't. How do you balance that with violent crime including shootings being significantly down from "the good old days"? The difference is easily accessible 24 hour national news coverage vs seeing the whole countries news covered in 30 minutes and 30 minutes of local news. It FEELS worse. There is 24/7 competition to broadcast the most sensational crap available.

Gun owners seem to pride themselves on being "law abiding ', let's put that to the test.
                      The LV shooter was law-abiding, until he broke the law. And the carelessness of many a gun owner (legal and illegal) also contributes to harm caused by guns. This isn't even addressing the gang violence/domestics/etc where disputes are taken care of with a gun.

If one has the attitude that the only way to solve the issue is with a gun, no law will stop that. No laws might even CURB that attitude. That person will find a gun to use to satisfy whatever reasons they have to use one.

And no, I'm not saying "do nothing." I am all for making sure whoever is capable and sensible enough to own a gun, can own a gun. There are holes in the laws we have. I have issues with folks who want to ban semi-automatics (not even CLOSE to practical) or basically ban guns overall. They are not addressing the main issue that is causing all this in the first place.

Comment

College student taken into custody by campus police, shoots officer in the head, flees, taken safely back into custody.

Good thing he's white or he'd be dead.

Is it time to talk about guns yet or still too soon?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/u...imes&smtyp=cur

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          @nbcboston: RIGHT NOW: Texas Tech on lockdown after campus police officer shot and killed; authorities hunting for gunman. https://trib.al/L0DcCKj
                          Antifa firing their shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            College student taken into custody by campus police, shoots officer in the head, flees, taken safely back into custody.

Like the gun has a mind of its own, and the person had nothing to do with it...

Comment

The LV shooter was law-abiding, until he broke the law. And the carelessness of many a gun owner (legal and illegal) also contributes to harm caused by guns. This isn't even addressing the gang violence/domestics/etc where disputes are taken care of with a gun.

If one has the attitude that the only way to solve the issue is with a gun, no law will stop that. No laws might even CURB that attitude. That person will find a gun to use to satisfy whatever reasons they have to use one.

And no, I'm not saying "do nothing." I am all for making sure whoever is capable and sensible enough to own a gun, can own a gun. There are holes in the laws we have. I have issues with folks who want to ban semi-automatics (not even CLOSE to practical) or basically ban guns overall. They are not addressing the main issue that is causing all this in the first place.
                              Our enemies find their biggest obstacle to conquering us to be the second amendment. There is a defender with a gun behind every blade of grass. If they can make the majority defenseless, they will conquer. And they will use whatever means possible to turn the people away from that fact and voluntarily make themselves defenseless.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

How the he## did they not pat him down before even putting him in the patrol car?
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X