• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Sweden

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...an-opens-fire/
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      If a single shot is impractical, we can go back to 5 or 6. ... the 6 shooter ... Second, put a real limit on how fast a fire arm can re-fire.
      This of which you speak, the nostalgic "6 shooter", is a revolver.

Eight rounds, on target, with a revolver: one second.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

Not an automatic.
      Not a semi-automatic.
      A revolver.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

whew!!!! the good ole usa is off the hook for now!
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

wouldn't even make national news in the US, let alone be reported internationally.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            I forgot to add, I would make it illegal to buy ammunition (or material to load your own ammunition) without a matching registration to make it harder to get ammunition for unregistered firearms.
            Great call. Why is this not already in place?
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              guns are not registered like cars. This is in my fantasy world where they have to be.

Comment

guns are not registered like cars. This is in my fantasy world where they have to be.
                And I would guess many more guns are floating around illegally than are cars.

Edit: Now a conservative might argue - why are we so concerned with illegal guns and not illegal immigrants? They would have a point - we should adhere to laws on illegal immigrants as well.

But the existence of illegal immigrants actually does help this country and its citizens by playing an important role in society...by performing jobs many won't and by keeping the prices of many products low. The presence of illegal guns just makes for more risk of homicides and difficulty in punishing those crimes. That's where the difference lies.
                Last edited by 5mn_Major; 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

A lot of gun owners worry the government would do nefarious things with a list like that. Some states have them already.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    A lot of gun owners worry the government would do nefarious things with a list like that. Some states have them already.
                    Never understood this mentality. Its the same as I don't want the government watching the websites I'm visiting. Like the CIA is sitting around laughing about the websites Drew S is visiting or something. If there were lots of governmental shenanigans with information...there would be many court cases popping up and lots of press to accompany them. The government just does not use this kind of info unless major crimes necessitate it - why should all that change literally tomorrow?
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      Well say no more. We don't want to worry gun owners. Poor little snowflakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        A lot of gun owners worry the government would do nefarious things with a list like that.
                        I remember when paranoia like that was limited to a handful of John Birchers who the rest of the right laughed at. Now it's the entire Republican party and the cornerstone of national policy.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

When guns are initially sold new, or resold by a licensed dealer, they are "registered" using the ATF firearms form. The priimary problem with the forms is they simply go into the ATF and are filed away in the basement. There is no searchable database of those forms, by law. If, for instance, someone wanted to find out how many guns BassAle may have purchased, or what types, you'd have to do a hand search of the forms.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

And I would guess many more guns are floating around illegally than are cars.

Edit: Now a conservative might argue - why are we so concerned with illegal guns and not illegal immigrants? They would have a point - we should adhere to laws on illegal immigrants as well.

But the existence of illegal immigrants actually does help this country and its citizens by playing an important role in society...by performing jobs many won't and by keeping the prices of many products low. The presence of illegal guns just makes for more risk of homicides and difficulty in punishing those crimes. That's where the difference lies.
                            If there were no illegal immigrants, those jobs they have would be difficult to fill at those wages. So employers would have to raise wages, say to a "livable wage." Huh. Imagine someone working at McDonald's for, I dunno, $15/hr? Someone should get to work on that.

Oh yeah, right.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              I remember when paranoia like that was limited to a handful of John Birchers who the rest of the right laughed at. Now it's the entire Republican party and the cornerstone of national policy.
                              I think a lot of it is because of JFK and 9/11. An even better example is Pat Tillman's death. The government flat out lied about what happened and potentially covered up something sinister(or it might have been complete incompetence.) I personally don't care if the government tracks what I do online or what I have for guns. I can see where people would be uneasy with it though.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I think a lot of it is because of JFK and 9/11. An even better example is Pat Tillman's death. The government flat out lied about what happened and potentially covered up something sinister(or it might have been complete incompetence.) I personally don't care if the government tracks what I do online or what I have for guns. I can see where people would be uneasy with it though.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X