Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Days Since Last Shooting II

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I understand and agree with your post. However, this happens 10, 20 years ago? We just dismiss as "crazy" and move along. I'd like to hope that we stopped another attack by recognizing some sort of sign, some sort of behavior, and getting that person some help.
    Maybe we did stop an attack. We'll never know. But one thing we do know, no matter how crazy you are, if weapons like what this crazy man had access to were not available, the body count due to his break from reality would have been smaller. I want to punch someone in the throat when they say that there will always be something lethal a crazy person can grab. If this guy had a couple of semi auto Glocks or a crossbow, dozens of people who are now dead would be home with their families. And that is why the only way we can prevent this from happening is to prevent people from getting there hands on guns that can kill dozens or hundreds in 5 minutes. Sadly we live in a warped and backwards society where the people who scream the loudest about the sanctity of life (I'm looking at you out there in the pro-birth world) in fact value life less than they value 27 misguided and outdated words written by people who could never have conceived of either the kinds of mental illness the Las Vegas shooter suffered from, our of weapons that could fire 100s of rounds per minute and kill people from hundreds of yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Maybe we did stop an attack. We'll never know. But one thing we do know, no matter how crazy you are, if weapons like what this crazy man had access to were not available, the body count due to his break from reality would have been smaller. I want to punch someone in the throat when they say that there will always be something lethal a crazy person can grab. If this guy had a couple of semi auto Glocks or a crossbow, dozens of people who are now dead would be home with their families. And that is why the only way we can prevent this from happening is to prevent people from getting there hands on guns that can kill dozens or hundreds in 5 minutes. Sadly we live in a warped and backwards society where the people who scream the loudest about the sanctity of life (I'm looking at you out there in the pro-birth world) in fact value life less than they value 27 misguided and outdated words written by people who could never have conceived of either the kinds of mental illness the Las Vegas shooter suffered from, our of weapons that could fire 100s of rounds per minute and kill people from hundreds of yards away.
    Ya kinda lost me there. He modified the legal guns to illegal guns. Key word: illegal. He slipped through the cracks. It's sad, but that will always happen. As far as banning anything...I'll offer this:
    Imagine that EVERY gun is gone in the US tomorrow. EVERY one. Poof, gone. We still border Canada and Mexico. How soon before guns are smuggled in. The US cannot stop drug/human trafficking. We're not gonna be able to stop gun trafficking.

In addition, I will say, more in-depth background checks are needed, loopholes closed. It won't stop someone like the LV guy, but it might stop 1 attack. And I'm good with that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Internet Nutcase
    Ya kinda lost me there. He modified the legal guns to illegal guns. Key word: illegal
    You are wrong. His guns were perfectly legal. There is nothing illegal about using a bump stock on a semi automatic assault rife.

Just a boring user.

Ya kinda lost me there. He modified the legal guns to illegal guns. Key word: illegal. He slipped through the cracks. It's sad, but that will always happen. As far as banning anything...I'll offer this:
    Imagine that EVERY gun is gone in the US tomorrow. EVERY one. Poof, gone. We still border Canada and Mexico. How soon before guns are smuggled in. The US cannot stop drug/human trafficking. We're not gonna be able to stop gun trafficking.

In addition, I will say, more in-depth background checks are needed, loopholes closed. It won't stop someone like the LV guy, but it might stop 1 attack. And I'm good with that.
    Again, that logic is incredibly tiring.

That we should do nothing at all to reduce the severity of mass deaths by making it a whole lot more difficult to do what that guy did.

The logic being evil will be evil, and we can't do anything about evil. So new things would be useless.

What's worse, most of the encouragement after things like this is that we should arm ourselves MORE. Great idea.

Have anyone noticed that the number killed in these things keeps going up in each incident? So the more we arm ourselves, the more that these evil people can kill at once. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Again, that logic is incredibly tiring.

That we should do nothing at all to reduce the severity of mass deaths by making it a whole lot more difficult to do what that guy did.

The logic being evil will be evil, and we can't do anything about evil. So new things would be useless.

What's worse, most of the encouragement after things like this is that we should arm ourselves MORE. Great idea.

Have anyone noticed that the number killed in these things keeps going up in each incident? So the more we arm ourselves, the more that these evil people can kill at once. Great idea.
    Because that is what I said. Except I didn't.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Well, I heard one thing today that bothers me. Hotel Security in my mind screwed up. This guy had his room 36 hours straight in a "Do Not Disturb" mode. That bugs me. That sends up red flags in my mind. And that should have triggered an investigation of some sort. There was a hotel owner on Fox News Sunday that was talking about it and he said it would have triggered investigation in his hotel.

This could have been prevented.

They also interviewed the NRA. They're hopeless.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Well, I heard one thing today that bothers me. Hotel Security in my mind screwed up. This guy had his room 36 hours straight in a "Do Not Disturb" mode. That bugs me. That sends up red flags in my mind. And that should have triggered an investigation of some sort. There was a hotel owner on Fox News Sunday that was talking about it and he said it would have triggered investigation in his hotel.

They also interviewed the NRA. They're hopeless.
    Why would the "do not disturb" thing be a trigger? I rarely DON'T have that sign on my hotel room door.

Why would the "do not disturb" thing be a trigger? I rarely DON'T have that sign on my hotel room door.
    For 36 hours? No bed turn down? No cleaning. No linens? Please. That's a red flag that something is going on.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

For 36 hours? No bed turn down? No cleaning. No linens? Please. That's a red flag that something is going on.
    So, I check in on Thursday evening, and have "Do Not Disturb" until I check out on Sunday morning, I should be flagged? That doesn't sit right with me. And yes, I've done that before.

Same. I'll stay at a place all week for work and leave the sign on the door the whole time. Other than potentially more towels there really isn't anything else I need. I can make the bed and other cleaning stuff myself. I don't want to say I don't trust the housekeeping staff, but I'd rather them not go in my room. I guess its all personal preference.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

I lived in a hotel for a month. Had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up the entire time. Never took it down. This is absurd.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

I'm with the others, Do not Disturb stays up my whole stay, I'll catch the housekeeping crew when they are on the floor to grab some fresh towels.

As to the note, it was calculations for hitting the crowd from his room:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/us/las...ion/index.html

I used to leave it on for days when I lived in hotels for work. Who the heck needs new sheets and towels every day??

I agree with the other that this is absurd. I've stayed in many hotels in Vegas over the years, including Mandalay Bay. The first thing that goes up when I arrive is the 'do not disturb' sign on my door and it doesn't get taken down until I leave unless I have a specific need for house keeping.

What you are proposing is mandatory room inspections under the guise of 'house keeping'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigus Paulus View Post
    What you are proposing is mandatory room inspections under the guise of 'house keeping'.
    Yep, agreed. It's dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigus Paulus View Post
    I agree with the other that this is absurd. I've stayed in many hotels in Vegas over the years, including Mandalay Bay. The first thing that goes up when I arrive is the 'do not disturb' sign on my door and it doesn't get taken down until I leave unless I have a specific need for house keeping.

Well, that's funny because a hotel owner in Las Vegas does this very thing. And I'm fine with it. But, fine, it's stupid. What else you going to do? Metal Detectors? Turn hotels into the airport?

Well, that's funny because a hotel owner in Las Vegas does this very thing. And I'm fine with it. But, fine, it's stupid. What else you going to do? Metal Detectors? Turn hotels into the airport?
    I wouldn't stay at that hotel. That's ridiculous. I'd be fine with metal detectors. *shrug*

I wouldn't stay at that hotel. That's ridiculous. I'd be fine with metal detectors. *shrug*
    I've never hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign and I've never had an issue. I've stayed in many hotels over the years. Many. They want to come into my room. No problem.

I've never hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign and I've never had an issue. I've stayed in many hotels over the years. Many. They want to come into my room. No problem.
    I've never had an issue, I just don't want them coming into my room.

I've never had an issue, I just don't want them coming into my room.
    If I'm paying 100-300 bucks a night I want my room cleaned and I want the bed made.

Thread Information