Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Getting warmer:

Outlaw Southern Baptists!!!

Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Outlaw Southern Baptists!!!
    It's a start.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

I'm finding it very difficult to believe no motive has been found. What's with the omission of the note or any reference to it by the Feds? This guy left clues and I'm not buying the wacko "he's isis" crap that's been floating around for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I'm finding it very difficult to believe no motive has been found. What's with the omission of the note or any reference to it by the Feds? This guy left clues and I'm not buying the wacko "he's isis" crap that's been floating around for a week.
    I read somewhere the note wasn't a note, but a bunch of numbers and they were trying to figure out if they had any meaning.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    I read somewhere the note wasn't a note, but a bunch of numbers and they were trying to figure out if they had any meaning.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Weird....dates?

it looked like a full page with notes from top to bottom

1123 6536 5321??

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    4 8 15 16 23 42
    Was he trying to find the island on Lost?

Given his gambling history, I'm wondering if he had some side action that wasn't exactly legal, or just general gambling debts?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Who cares what his motive is? It changes nothing. He is a terrorist nutjob POS.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Who cares what his motive is? It changes nothing. He is a terrorist nutjob POS.
    It might give us something to prevent a future attack such as this. Yes, I'm an optimist.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Yep, still here

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Weird....dates?

it looked like a full page with notes from top to bottom
    There was a meh movie about this

That one ended with a solar flare wiping out all life on earth.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It might give us something to prevent a future attack such as this. Yes, I'm an optimist.
    People like that dont need a reason. And knowing why Muslim Terrorists do it doesnt help prevent it. People ant wrap their head around a seemingly normal white dude going postal so they need to find the pattern in the chaos. He is a murderous toolbag nutjob who isnt worth the brain power.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    People like that dont need a reason. And knowing why Muslim Terrorists do it doesnt help prevent it. People ant wrap their head around a seemingly normal white dude going postal so they need to find the pattern in the chaos. He is a murderous toolbag nutjob who isnt worth the brain power.
    It's worth a shot. Worst case? People die anyway. Best case? We ID the issue and somehow prevent something. Gotta try, though. Better than doing nothing.

Yep, still here

We've had hundreds, if not thousands of these. The only difference was the number of bodies.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    We've had hundreds, if not thousands of these. The only difference was the number of bodies.
    And we've taken on a new attitude on mental health, if anything. It is a start....

Yep, still here

And we've taken on a new attitude on mental health, if anything. It is a start....
    Huh? Taking any attitude about mental health would require spending actual dollars. Mental health is what gets brought up when white men kill to bypass discussing guns, then ignored when the budget gets addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Huh? Taking any attitude about mental health would require spending actual dollars. Mental health is what gets brought up when white men kill to bypass discussing guns, then ignored when the budget gets addressed.
    Society has started to realized the various conditions and starting to treat them. Are we close to (for lack of better word) fixing the problem? No. But we are now making people aware of these issues and starting to look into treatments. Depression is the big one, that I have noticed. There are others out there, and it's a slow process. At least we are starting something.

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

Society has started to realized the various conditions and starting to treat them. Are we close to (for lack of better word) fixing the problem? No. But we are now making people aware of these issues and starting to look into treatments. Depression is the big one, that I have noticed. There are others out there, and it's a slow process. At least we are starting something.
    While it is a good thing that we are paying more attention to the problem of mental illness, we are never going to be able to understand, predict or prevent someone as mentally ill as the Vegas shooter from going off the deep end. Or at least we are far enough away from being able to you may as well say it is effectively never.

I get a kick out of the republicans who throw out there the same tired nonsense that it isn't about removing weapons like what were used in Vegas it's all about mental health care (as if they give a real fvck about health care anyway). It is naive to believe this person, who by all of the accounts we have heard from people allegedly close to him -- a brother, a girl friend -- never displayed real signs he was capable of such a murderous rampage could have been prevented from doing something horrific if he just had received the 2017 version of mental health care. We don't know enough about the human brain to understand what could make someone open fire on hundreds of strangers who were no threat to him and injure or kill hundreds. In 2017 the only way this massacre could have been prevented was if the means of killing so many people so quickly were unavailable. Period.

The truth is these things are going to keep happening. Over and over again. My guess is somewhere there is someone with the same level of mental illness who has been twisted into believing that there is some reason he (probably a he) needs to go on a rampage and kill dozens, or maybe hundreds of innocent people. In fact I'd be surprised if as much time passes before it happens again as happened between the Pulse Nightclub killings and what happened in Las Vegas. And whoever this person is, I bet there are people close to him who will express surprise and disbelief that he was capable of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    While it is a good thing that we are paying more attention to the problem of mental illness, we are never going to be able to understand, predict or prevent someone as mentally ill as the Vegas shooter from going off the deep end. Or at least we are far enough away from being able to you may as well say it is effectively never.

I get a kick out of the republicans who throw out there the same tired nonsense that it isn't about removing weapons like what were used in Vegas it's all about mental health care (as if they give a real fvck about health care anyway). It is naive to believe this person, who by all of the accounts we have heard from people allegedly close to him -- a brother, a girl friend -- never displayed real signs he was capable of such a murderous rampage could have been prevented from doing something horrific if he just had received the 2017 version of mental health care. We don't know enough about the human brain to understand what could make someone open fire on hundreds of strangers who were no threat to him and injure or kill hundreds. In 2017 the only way this massacre could have been prevented was if the means of killing so many people so quickly were unavailable. Period.

The truth is these things are going to keep happening. Over and over again. My guess is somewhere there is someone with the same level of mental illness who has been twisted into believing that there is some reason he (probably a he) needs to go on a rampage and kill dozens, or maybe hundreds of innocent people. In fact I'd be surprised if as much time passes before it happens again as happened between the Pulse Nightclub killings and what happened in Las Vegas. And whoever this person is, I bet there are people close to him who will express surprise and disbelief that he was capable of doing it.
    I understand and agree with your post. However, this happens 10, 20 years ago? We just dismiss as "crazy" and move along. I'd like to hope that we stopped another attack by recognizing some sort of sign, some sort of behavior, and getting that person some help.

Thread Information