This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Shooting II

If passing new laws were the answer to every societal problem, then we'd already be living in a utopia.

I realize that the following is not a popular viewpoint these days...IMHO the only real "solution" to these incidents is better parenting, increased peer pressure, and direct citizen action. it seems to me that there is no governmental solution that will work; at best a more assertive citizen-police partnership is called for.

Blaming other people for one's own problems (so that "striking back" can be rationalized as somehow okay) ultimately seems to be the "root cause" of all these incidents.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I think we all should get used to it, because in my opinion it isn't going to stop. I say this even while agreeing that we should be enacting some more common-sense gun control reforms to help prevent this stuff. Sure, it will probably help, but I don't think it is going to stop these kinds of tragedies from happening. The problem is the person, and we can and should do things to prevent an evil person from doing evil, but as long as the evil person is still out there, we're always going to be at risk of going through another massive tragedy.
      No, we can't stop people from killing other people.

But why is it so bad to put in efforts to reduce the amount of harm these people can do? Smaller magazines would have shortened the time each gun could be used. Taking out the mechanism that allowed the guns to fire automatically would have also reduced the number of shots fire. Both would have reduced the number of dead an injured.

Why should we accept HUGE mass murders when they can be reduced by some very simple means?

The goal can never be 0 mass murders, as that is impossible- I agree. And that "goal" should also not be the reason we do nothing.

I'm tired of the "evil is evil" excuse against efforts to reduce how evil someone can be.

Comment

That there are x # of individuals out there capable of home-crafting a weapon or two is a far, far cry from there being a gun-shop on (no not literally of course) every corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          We also don't say we should ban cars, which in theory would save up to 35k lives/yr. I can certainly see a person in lower Manhattan theorizing that no one "needs" a car. Public transportation and approved and licensed cabs can take everyone everywhere. Which is completely true. Still, my own idea is that I would like to go where I want, whenever I want, in my own vehicle. Which I guess might be taken to mean I clearly don't care about the 35k dead people, but I have a hard time making the same connection myself.

Since the first time I saw a bump stock several years back I thought they were stupid and dangerous and should be banned. Not just because of the fire power, but also because I figured some of these idiots would shoot themselves or others accidentally, although I'm not aware of that actually being the case. They will be banned, or there will be a bill that doesn't just ban them, but does a bunch of other stuff that congress will fight over. But again, it's $30 and a ten year old's mechanical aptitude to accomplish, which isn't to say it's not worthwhile to enact a law, rather just that if someone has bad intentions it's simple to get around.
          The problem of that idea is that if we go by what gun lemmings like you suggest- there should not be ANY safety items in cars. None at all.

Seat belts, crush zones, and air bags save a lot of lives compared to had they not been there.

Why can't we do the same for guns?

YOUR side is that we should do NOTHING. When reduction in harm is so easy. Not elimination, for sure. But the potential harm can be reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            We also don't say we should ban cars, which in theory would save up to 35k lives/yr. I can certainly see a person in lower Manhattan theorizing that no one "needs" a car. Public transportation and approved and licensed cabs can take everyone everywhere. Which is completely true. Still, my own idea is that I would like to go where I want, whenever I want, in my own vehicle. Which I guess might be taken to mean I clearly don't care about the 35k dead people, but I have a hard time making the same connection myself.
            This is entering Drew level stupid, please stop.

Comment

Put another way, if guns and gun users were as regulated as cars and drivers of cars, that'd make for a great start.

Comment

Ouch.

Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  The problem of that idea is that if we go by what gun lemmings like you suggest- there should not be ANY safety items in cars. None at all.

Seat belts, crush zones, and air bags save a lot of lives compared to had they not been there.

Why can't we do the same for guns?

YOUR side is that we should do NOTHING. When reduction in harm is so easy. Not elimination, for sure. But the potential harm can be reduced.
                  There's a difference in your analogy in that these things to make us safer in cars are all protective equipment for once we're struck by another vehicle or something abnormal causes a single-vehicle accident. Unless we retroactively equip all vehicles with those automated stopping features - crash avoidance, there are no real proactive solutions. Crash avoidance features are the only way to stop someone from inflicting mass damage to a crowd of pedestrians.

The firearm issue's equivalence to everything you've suggested would be to outfit everyone in Kevlar.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Crash avoidance features are the only way to stop someone from inflicting mass damage to a crowd of pedestrians.
                    In front of certain buildings like Fox News HQ they have huge pots with shrubs in them on the sidewalk so that such a collision with the building is avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      In front of certain buildings like Fox News HQ they have huge pots with shrubs in them on the sidewalk so that such a collision with the building is avoided.
                      How does something like that translate to preventing gun deaths? Are we going to encompass all outdoor events in veils of Kevlar?
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Put another way, if guns and gun users were as regulated as cars and drivers of cars, that'd make for a great start.
                        Do you need a background check from the FBI to buy a car?
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Ouch.
                          *golf clap*

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            You need a license and registration to drive one.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              jfc
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                jfc
                                They've been well trained.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X