Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quinnipiac Bobcats 2017-18: Chase the dream...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2017-18: Chase the dream...

So let's get this situation out there! I agree that no call was made on the ice with the initial hit as the ref was in the corner at a bad angle and also somewhat preoccupied by two other opposing players in that corner. Yes the Big Green had his back turned for puck retrieval but his course was going to his left the whole way (going to open ice). The Q player was forechecking hard blue line and in (beeline). He never even tried to slow down while seeing the Big Green's player number the whole way and blatantly hits him from behind. If he wanted to hit or finish check a guy in a very vulnerable position where in his game speed decision was borderline he could of let up and still got the hit. While I absolutely agree on the original non-call and subsequent call after play has stopped and discussion (interference? no way) was a poor way to handle it, it was absolutely the RIGHT call. If this was the NHL it would warrant a in-person meeting with Player Safety personnel. Just my take while watching live and replays!

Once again referee stops play for an injured player and then invents a 5 minute major. 5 mins for interference when both players are going after the Puck!

While it was a crushing blow, I'm not sure it was a bad hit. The kid had the puck, was against the boards, and turned to maintain possession. Yes, Mick got him in the numbers, but as I said it looked like he was turning to stay with the puck, and Coppola said the same thing. It happened right in front of the ref and his arm never even twitched. I think what may have happened is that as play continued, Mick circled around and then drilled another kid by the Dartmouth bench just before the little scrum started. As was explained in the broadcast, linesmen can call major penalties which is what I assume happened here because neither ref threw up an arm after either hit. If it was a vicious, major-worthy hit, why was it called interference and not roughing, boarding, or contact from behind?

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
      I just watched the replay of the hit. First off, I hope the kid is ok because nobody wants to see kids get hurt.

While it was a crushing blow, I'm not sure it was a bad hit. The kid had the puck, was against the boards, and turned to maintain possession. Yes, Mick got him in the numbers, but as I said it looked like he was turning to stay with the puck, and Coppola said the same thing. It happened right in front of the ref and his arm never even twitched. I think what may have happened is that as play continued, Mick circled around and then drilled another kid by the Dartmouth bench just before the little scrum started. As was explained in the broadcast, linesmen can call major penalties which is what I assume happened here because neither ref threw up an arm after either hit. If it was a vicious, major-worthy hit, why was it called interference and not roughing, boarding, or contact from behind?

As it turns out, the major didn't end up being a factor in the outcome, other than maybe taking away 5 minutes of 5 on 5 time. The 2 interference calls on Smith later in the period were both questionable, and linesman Piti blew numerous offsides calls all night. Plus there were two blatant too-many-men by Dartmouth. After the game, it looked like Piti and Rand exchanged words, and Rand wanted the attention of ref Mullen for some reason. Mullen, way down in the corner, just pointed to the locker room as if to say "get out". No, the refs were not the reason we didn't win, but it was another typical poor ECAC officiating performance.
      Quinny isn’t exactly a bunch of choir boys. How about Duane’s cheap shot on Donato (up high) after Donato scored. Things would have escalated had Donato not scored.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        If it was a vicious, major-worthy hit, why was it called interference and not roughing, boarding, or contact from behind?
        I didn't see the play but a interference major is called for blindside hits.
        Interference: Blindside hits. (Rule 59.1) A category of penalty in the interference rule will be added to separate a severe blindside hit from the contact to the head penalty. In these cases, a major penalty may be called for blindside contact when the head is not contacted.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Quinny isn’t exactly a bunch of choir boys.
          I'm not condoning the behavior. Kids get caught up in the moment and everyone makes a bad decision from time to time. My argument is more with the officiating. If you want to remove that stuff from the game then do your job and make the call. Both refs had a clear view of that hit and neither even flinched. That in itself doesn't mean it's wasn't a penalty, but how does non-action protect the players?

How about Duane’s cheap shot...
          I think he learned that from Luke Esposito.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
            So let's get this situation out there! I agree that no call was made on the ice with the initial hit as the ref was in the corner at a bad angle and also somewhat preoccupied by two other opposing players in that corner. Yes the Big Green had his back turned for puck retrieval but his course was going to his left the whole way (going to open ice). The Q player was forechecking hard blue line and in (beeline). He never even tried to slow down while seeing the Big Green's player number the whole way and blatantly hits him from behind. If he wanted to hit or finish check a guy in a very vulnerable position where in his game speed decision was borderline he could of let up and still got the hit. While I absolutely agree on the original non-call and subsequent call after play has stopped and discussion (interference? no way) was a poor way to handle it, it was absolutely the RIGHT call. If this was the NHL it would warrant a in-person meeting with Player Safety personnel. Just my take while watching live and replays!

Once again referee stops play for an injured player and then invents a 5 minute major. 5 mins for interference when both players are going after the Puck!

It was a crushing blow and I do hope the kid is ok. What I guess I’m saying is a call shouldn’t be determined by whether the player is injured or not. That may be the difference between a major and minor, but there was no intention of the referee to even make a call. It may very well have been an infraction, it didn’t look like it from my view from above the corner. The player changed direction and actually turned his back and into the hit. I don’t think Mick had the opportunity to “pull up”. Both players were tussling for the puck from the blue line. If it was bad enough to call a major, why wasn’t Mick ejected? To be honest I haven’t watched the replay. That game was ugly enough to watch the first time. Credit to the goalies because neither team seemed to be in sync on either end of the ice.

Comment

Ok different topic. Can someone explain to me why Duane is still on the ice? He seems to screen Shortridge in the defensive zone better than he does opposing goalies. He wins his share of face offs, but gets tossed out a bunch too. He slows down whatever line he’s put on. He doesn’t handle the puck well and is indecisive in making passing decisions. We have a better chance of hitting powerball and mega millions in the same week than making the NCAAs. Perhaps it’s time to see how the others can perform?

Also, where’s Aldworth been. I haven’t even seen him in the arena. Though I can’t say I’ve been trying to locate him. He’s played since the forearm injury. Did he get hurt again or just fallen out of favor?

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                Can someone explain to me why Duane is still on the ice?
                I'm beginning to question the same thing. Very selfish with the puck (as a few others have been). To his credit, he appears much stronger in the corners than he was last season. He's actually been standing up to the opposition. If he would only pass the puck (and get out of Shortie's way)...

Also, where’s Aldworth been. I haven’t even seen him in the arena. Though I can’t say I’ve been trying to locate him. He’s played since the forearm injury. Did he get hurt again or just fallen out of favor?
                He was actually standing up on the catwalk leading to the press box all weekend. I think he's one of those guys that Rand has a love/hate relationship with. Another selfish player with the puck IMHO. He has speed and can stick handle with the best of them but he hardly ever passes, and never waits for support when he drives deep behind the net.

I feel there's 3 or 4 guys currently that are not playing a team game. Once they get the puck, they're trying to do it all themselves. Obviously they've had very little success. I saw none of this selfishness during the Brown/Yale weekend, and I feel this is a big reason for our current troubles.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                  I'm beginning to question the same thing. Very selfish with the puck (as a few others have been). To his credit, he appears much stronger in the corners than he was last season. He's actually been standing up to the opposition. If he would only pass the puck (and get out of Shortie's way)...

He was actually standing up on the catwalk leading to the press box all weekend. I think he's one of those guys that Rand has a love/hate relationship with. Another selfish player with the puck IMHO. He has speed and can stick handle with the best of them but he hardly ever passes, and never waits for support when he drives deep behind the net.

I feel there's 3 or 4 guys currently that are not playing a team game. Once they get the puck, they're trying to do it all themselves. Obviously they've had very little success. I saw none of this selfishness during the Brown/Yale weekend, and I feel this is a big reason for our current troubles.
                  Aldworth isn't a consistent player. May show up great one game and then you won't hear his name in the next 5. Definitely a player that has been a massive disappointment given how well he produced in his final juniors season in the BCHL.
                  QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                  2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                  2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                  https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                  https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                  https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• I am no expert on college hockey, admittedly. Without breakaway speed up front, you have no separation and there always seems to be a jam-up in the crease. sam and mathew changed the math by stretching things out enough to create room for shots, rebounds. devin moore intrigues me, but his slight stature concerns me so I can see waiting to use him in special situations - but, i do not see him used very much at all and wonder, why not? This certainly would not make a difference in how this year pans out, but I would give up on this year to get the kids some game time and loosen up Rand, the refs have issues and ECAC knows it and is working to get better. Rand, find some joy in making a living running one of the best college hockey programs in the country. Not many people can make a living doing what they love doing. This year you have to relax not tighten the ropes. Sorry for preaching a bit, but we all are frustrated. Mark, Z Yank - - I know I came on bit hard earlier this year. You are patient, good fans. We now shift into recruiting mode, and this tam has to learn how to have fun playing hockey again.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                      devin moore intrigues me, but his slight stature concerns me so I can see waiting to use him in special situations - but, i do not see him used very much at all and wonder, why not?
                      Devin is stuck on a grinder line but has really impressed me. For his small size he's not afraid to mix it up. Seems to have good hands and doesn't lose the puck very often. The fact that he's seen so much ice time speaks volumes to what the staff thinks of him. Thus far he's been an asset, not a liability. Hopefully he develops along the same path as a guy like St. Denis.

Sorry for preaching a bit, but we all are frustrated. Mark, Z Yank - - I know I came on bit hard earlier this year. You are patient, good fans.
                      We're all passionate about the Bobcats. I just think we have to realize there's really nothing any of us can do to fix things and that leads to frustration, myself included. I really think they'll figure it out and make some noise before it's all said and done.

this team has to learn how to have fun playing hockey again.
                      That's a very valid point. They are probably more frustrated than anyone.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                        I am no expert on college hockey, admittedly. Without breakaway speed up front, you have no separation and there always seems to be a jam-up in the crease. sam and mathew changed the math by stretching things out enough to create room for shots, rebounds. devin moore intrigues me, but his slight stature concerns me so I can see waiting to use him in special situations - but, i do not see him used very much at all and wonder, why not? This certainly would not make a difference in how this year pans out, but I would give up on this year to get the kids some game time and loosen up Rand, the refs have issues and ECAC knows it and is working to get better. Rand, find some joy in making a living running one of the best college hockey programs in the country. Not many people can make a living doing what they love doing. This year you have to relax not tighten the ropes. Sorry for preaching a bit, but we all are frustrated. Mark, Z Yank - - I know I came on bit hard earlier this year. You are patient, good fans. We now shift into recruiting mode, and this tam has to learn how to have fun playing hockey again.
                        I agree with you and also disagree with you -- this is not a good hockey team right now, but their shot% is 7%. That's unsustainability-low, and has to turn around at some point. Even the worst offensive teams shoot better than 7%.

So yes, this isn't a very good team at the moment, but I do think they'll figure things out at some point.

As for your comment about looking forward, this is where I disagree. Every team makes the ECAC Tournament, and while it's highly unlikely, we absolutely have something to play for in February and March. If that shot% flips around in time, this team still has potential to get some wins and surprise some people. Obviously that's the only track to the NCAA's this year, at this point. Too much damage has already been done. I'd be surprised if this team made a run in the ECAC's, but you play to win until they say you can't play anymore, especially in college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                          I agree with you and also disagree with you -- this is not a good hockey team right now, but their shot% is 7%. That's unsustainability-low, and has to turn around at some point. Even the worst offensive teams shoot better than 7%.

So yes, this isn't a very good team at the moment, but I do think they'll figure things out at some point.

As for your comment about looking forward, this is where I disagree. Every team makes the ECAC Tournament, and while it's highly unlikely, we absolutely have something to play for in February and March. If that shot% flips around in time, this team still has potential to get some wins and surprise some people. Obviously that's the only track to the NCAA's this year, at this point. Too much damage has already been done. I'd be surprised if this team made a run in the ECAC's, but you play to win until they say you can't play anymore, especially in college hockey.
                          I would suspect you guys will have a role-reversal compared to past years...you will finish up towards the middle to bottom half. However, teams will hate to play you in the first round of ECAC tournament. You guys have almost always played your best hockey there albeit you had better teams before. My observations were tons of chances but lack of finishers and also somewhat "loose" plays with possession in your D zone leading to turnovers. If the Big Green were a bit better offensively those TO would/could have been goals in the first period. Good Luck the rest of the way and see you in Hanover!

Comment

In the Pipeline: 12/4/17

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...ine-12417.html
                            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                            https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Streaming for Maine games? Free or ripoff?
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Streaming for Maine games? Free or ripoff?
                                Free on ESPN3.

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?...&type=upcoming
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X