St. Mary's Univ. (NS) @ RPI, Saturday, 9/30/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Mary's Univ. (NS) @ RPI, Saturday, 9/30/17

We could learn something from how SMU does at QU tomorrow.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Anyone see how we are doing on face offs? That was another area needing work in the past.
      Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      behind 22-15.
      It got worse in the 3rd. Last I saw it was 34-20.
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
        It got worse in the 3rd. Last I saw it was 34-20.
        Seemingly not to worry about on the surface, face off percentage is often far more important than most like to think. Especially if you limit the numbers to those face offs during power plays for and against. Just so important to have puck control during those times. Hopefully it is something our new coach can emphasize and we can respond to. It is not 100% teachable as some guys are just flat out good at it. But ther are aspects that can be worked at and partially it is a team response to the face off and that always can be worked at.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          That was a tough goalie. Nothing you can do about that.

And in perspective, we lost the exhibition in 10-11 and 15-16. Look how those seasons turned out...
          I hope you are right, but we have heard that 'we ran into a hot goalie' statement far too often before. Our goalies have been hot also and were last night. I am very encouraged by the pair we had last night. But that excuse can only fly just so high. The season is only 35+ games long and hopefully we do not have to use that excuse more than one or two times all season.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            I hope you are right, but we have heard that 'we ran into a hot goalie' statement far too often before. Our goalies have been hot also and were last night. I am very encouraged by the pair we had last night. But that excuse can only fly just so high. The season is only 35+ games long and hopefully we do not have to use that excuse more than one or two times all season.
            The hot goalie argument runs both ways, and I'd say we've reaped benefit from the opposite direction more than our fair share of times, and that worries me a lot more because it can give a false sense of confidence in what you have been doing. I do now also understand what the old guy meant by always bringing up 1-0 and 2-1. He basically was saying that our offense sucked, and he had no clue how to fix it, so we have to rely on a hot goalie and hope for the best on the other side.

It's not like we didn't have our opportunities. I recall mentioning during the first period PPs (at least on the RPI-TV chat) that we pretty much did everything BUT put the puck in the net. Finishing can be taught, and I've seen what can happen when it does. I hope Smith and/or Graham is able to spend some time on teaching this, because I really like what I'm seeing from our group of forwards. We probably won't be winning a possession game anytime soon (especially with how we're doing on face-offs), so we really need to make the most of the chances we do have.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              The hot goalie argument runs both ways, and I'd say we've reaped benefit from the opposite direction more than our fair share of times, and that worries me a lot more because it can give a false sense of confidence in what you have been doing. I do now also understand what the old guy meant by always bringing up 1-0 and 2-1. He basically was saying that our offense sucked, and he had no clue how to fix it, so we have to rely on a hot goalie and hope for the best on the other side.

It's not like we didn't have our opportunities. I recall mentioning during the first period PPs (at least on the RPI-TV chat) that we pretty much did everything BUT put the puck in the net. Finishing can be taught, and I've seen what can happen when it does. I hope Smith and/or Graham is able to spend some time on teaching this, because I really like what I'm seeing from our group of forwards. We probably won't be winning a possession game anytime soon (especially with how we're doing on face-offs), so we really need to make the most of the chances we do have.
              I too like this group of forwards based on last night. They played with energy and were not afraid to take shots.
              However, you cannot teach "finishing". You can work on accuracy, but in a game, scoring is an instinct.
              I thought that we were robbed a couple of times, but we have to do better.
              It was just one game, and I liked what I saw. Even the defense cut down on the crazy errors we saw the last couple of years.
              All in all, a good beginning.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                I too like this group of forwards based on last night. They played with energy and were not afraid to take shots.
                However, you cannot teach "finishing". You can work on accuracy, but in a game, scoring is an instinct.
                It was just one game, and I liked what I saw. Even the defense cut down on the crazy errors we saw the last couple of years.
                Oh I can definitely tell that they're taking their opportunities. Regardless of the terminology, it seems like we're both on the same page and seeking improvement on the same thing.

The raw desire and determination is there, and compared to last year, it's night and day. Did we seem to have the same look during exhibitions in years past, only to revert to the overly tentative ways?

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  Finishing, scoring, as you mention correctly, is not really very teachable. Some guys just know how to put the puck in the net, put themselves in the right position most often, make the last second decisions correctly more often, and have better puck control and finesse even when face with getting slammed in the head. Brad Tapper had it. Years ago John Carter surely had it. Possibly lacking in other skills, you always just felt with the puck on their sticks in close, the chance of a goal was greatly increased. We have had other scorers for sure, but more often than not they missed on the open net or on the break away. Not sure what it is about some guys but even at the NHL level, you have guys who can just get the puck in a position where they want it and get it past the goalie more often than others would.

Comment

Working...
                  X