2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Michigan Tech comes to Mankato next weekend after a road sweep of Bemidji.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Would rather have someone else knock you guys out, but Tech will give it the old college try! Good luck to both teams!

Comment

• Not sure i agree with the WCHA first team voting i feel like Connor is being under appreciated. He does have a great tech in front of him and doesn't see 30+ shots often but he has been solid all year.

That said i don't get to watch enough of the other teams to really form an unbiased opinion.

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Should be good ones.
        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
          Not sure i agree with the WCHA first team voting i feel like Connor is being under appreciated. He does have a great tech in front of him and doesn't see 30+ shots often but he has been solid all year.

That said i don't get to watch enough of the other teams to really form an unbiased opinion.

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Should be good ones.
          It is interesting that Connor is a Richter finalist, but 3rd team in his own conference. I think it's an "eye test vs. numbers" thing. I've seen Bitzer and Tolvanen make a lot of spectacular saves and look near-unbeatable in goal, and Connor doesn't have that Wow factor most of the time. On the other hand, 22-3-1, 1.75, .917. If you haven't watched a lot of WCHA hockey (and I'm guessing the Richter voters haven't), those numbers are way too good to ignore.

For a cruder analogy, would you rather have a dependable wife, or a flashy girlfriend?

Comment

Well....that wasn't ideal.

Seemed to me that you could tell which team was really desperate this weekend, and it wasn't MSU. At least that was the case on Saturday. The big boys, the upperclassmen, really need to step up if this team wants to make some noise in the NCAAs.
            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
              Well....that wasn't ideal.

Seemed to me that you could tell which team was really desperate this weekend, and it wasn't MSU. At least that was the case on Saturday. The big boys, the upperclassmen, really need to step up if this team wants to make some noise in the NCAAs.
              Yes, most surprising thing to me was the lack of points from the 1st line. You can't go far in the tournament if your big guys aren't playing like big guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Yes, most surprising thing to me was the lack of points from the 1st line. You can't go far in the tournament if your big guys aren't playing like big guys.
                Let’s hope they had their “off weekend” and that’s done and over with.

Yeah, what a disappointing weekend.
                AF 99

Comment

CJ Suess is a Hobey Baker Top 10 Finalist! Awesome recognition for one heck of a hockey player.

Don’t have time to do the research now, but is this the first time a Maverick has been in the Hobey Top 10? Joseph, Stevenson, Backes, Jackman, Leitner are the ones top of mind that may have had a shot based on exceptional years, but I don’t think any of them were top 10.
                  AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    CJ Suess is a Hobey Baker Top 10 Finalist! Awesome recognition for one heck of a hockey player.

Don’t have time to do the research now, but is this the first time a Maverick has been in the Hobey Top 10? Joseph, Stevenson, Backes, Jackman, Leitner are the ones top of mind that may have had a shot based on exceptional years, but I don’t think any of them were top 10.
                    Steve Carroll was a finalist for the first Hobey in 1981. That's the only one.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      Steve Carroll was a finalist for the first Hobey in 1981. That's the only one.
                      Wasn't Steve Carroll a finalist from the D2 days? Goalie on the National Champions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                        Wasn't Steve Carroll a finalist from the D2 days? Goalie on the National Champions.
                        Yes, which, with no disrespect, I don’t include as it’s not division 1.
                        AF 99

Comment

D-II (small schools) had their own Hobey Baker Award at that time. Joel Otto for Bemidji State won it in 1984, while Tom Kurvers won the D-I version.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                            D-II (small schools) had their own Hobey Baker Award at that time. Joel Otto for Bemidji State won it in 1984, while Tom Kurvers won the D-I version.
                            Not in 1981, the year Carroll was a finalist, unless the University of Minnesota was in D-II that year. The winner of the group Carroll was a finalist was Neal Broten

Comment

All the more impressive as he was included with Division 1 (winner was Neal Broten)

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                                Not in 1981, the year Carroll was a finalist, unless the University of Minnesota was in D-II that year. The winner of the group Carroll was a finalist was Neal Broten
                                Joel Otto was listed as a finalist with the D-I members in 1984 as well. I guess finding information as to when they awarded a D-II, or small school award, is difficult.
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X