2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Overtime was down in the league this year — by my count, 22 this year v. 30 last year. Even better, only 15 game went past 65:00 —*down from 20 the year prior. Multi-goal wins went up sharply, though, which I don't think is good for the league. (Note: this year, I didn't deduct ENG.). In all, we have small sample sizes, but I like these trends.

GFM
    Sorry, hadn’t really checked the stats this year. I just knew we had been college hockey’s lowest scoring league, and I don’t think that’s conducive to landing top level recruits

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Sorry, hadn’t really checked the stats this year. I just knew we had been college hockey’s lowest scoring league, and I don’t think that’s conducive to landing top level recruits
      I’d agree, however we’ll save that convo for the offseason. Thankfully this hasn’t affected the Mavs hardly at all. A little in conference pairwise strength, but when the Mavs have taken care of their own business, they’ve made the tourney regardless of what the league is doing.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        I’d agree, however we’ll save that convo for the offseason. Thankfully this hasn’t affected the Mavs hardly at all. A little in conference pairwise strength, but when the Mavs have taken care of their own business, they’ve made the tourney regardless of what the league is doing.
        It's really not the whole league. More like the bottom 3. Look at HE, it's real average, but they get some boost because the bottom is not terrible.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          I'm happy to have that info on-hand — I knew that it was lower this year, but not by how much. That's also down from 34/140 from 2015-16. I think that teams are seeing that there's not as much benefit to pushing past 65:00 and being guaranteed to get points when that B tiebreaker — which is often going to be used! — is standard wins.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• I struggle to watch Bemidji games but i think their style is a recipe to beat us. RIT did it and eliminated the best Mavs team we had by defending and icing the puck. They were hoping for a some luck to get that go ahead goal and got it from the refs (I'm still bitter about that call)
            I'm not sure which team is better but we just need to get a NCAA win. Period. The program needs it. I don't care what seed we get just win. I want to win WCHA tourney but let's be honest would losing and getting another WCHA team in be so bad? Northern Michigan could do some good things.

Well on to UAF which won't be easy. They always play us tough
            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
              I struggle to watch Bemidji games but i think their style is a recipe to beat us. RIT did it and eliminated the best Mavs team we had by defending and icing the puck. They were hoping for a some luck to get that go ahead goal and got it from the refs (I'm still bitter about that call)
              I'm not sure which team is better but we just need to get a NCAA win. Period. The program needs it. I don't care what seed we get just win. I want to win WCHA tourney but let's be honest would losing and getting another WCHA team in be so bad? Northern Michigan could do some good things.

Well on to UAF which won't be easy. They always play us tough
              Honestly, I’m not one bit worried about anyone else in the league except Minnesota State. They won the MacNaughton. Now win the Broadmoor. That’s two more championship banners in the rafters. If it means only one WCHA team gets in, I really don’t care. You can do these things and still win games in the NCAAs. Yes, they need an NCAA win badly, but they can do that and hang another banner along the way.
              AF 99

Comment

Honestly, I’m not one bit worried about anyone else in the league except Minnesota State. They won the MacNaughton. Now win the Broadmoor. That’s two more championship banners in the rafters. If it means only one WCHA team gets in, I really don’t care. You can do these things and still win games in the NCAAs. Yes, they need an NCAA win badly, but they can do that and hang another banner along the way.
                I am sure that MAV fans are the only ones cheering for the purple and gold from this point on to the end of the Broadmoor game!

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                  I am sure that MAV fans are the only ones cheering for the purple and gold from this point on to the end of the Broadmoor game!
                  Oh, I think we have a lot of "fans" around the country, hoping to keep a bubble position available.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    Oh, I think we have a lot of "fans" around the country, hoping to keep a bubble position available.
                    No question about it.
                    AF 99

Comment

This. I hope that UAH can upset NMU — and since we split 2-2-0 with them this year, including in Marquette — I have very little hope of doing that in the semifinals.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Coach Hastings is currently on KFAN..

Mentioned that he praises Grant Potulny and NMU for a great season so far and a brand of hockey the WCHA needs and can help it be more successful.

Also was asked the toughest team he’s seen this year: mentions St. Cloud and UMD as the two teams that have given them the most problems. (Interesting, as it’s no secret Hastings wants to play in the NCHC.

Lots of praise for Zeb, CJ, LaCouvee, also praises Jaremko, Mackey, Schied, Lutz, Zmolek — does a good job outlining that local, MN kids are huge contributors as he is doing this interview on the radio Home of the rodents.

Why do you win? What makes you successful?

Utilize depth, play with speed, four lines, 6 defenseman, posses the puck, playing selfless, finish your shift so the next group is in a position to succeed.

Recruiting MN...against SCSU, UMN, UMD, BSU, and even Wisconsin and North Dakota..

All these teams, plus an influx of east coast teams that is trying to grab players from this state.. 11 on current roster, Hastings and Knott and Blue both from MN, fertile ground for great young talent, the guys that “bloom late” MN High School Seniors and in juniors, vital to our success.
                        Last edited by MavHockey14; 02-28-2018, 11:20 AM.
                        AF 99

Comment

Coach Hastings is currently on KFAN..

Mentioned that he praises Grant Potulny and NMU for a great season so far and a brand of hockey the WCHA needs and can help it be more successful.
                          Amen.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Congrats to Mankato East qualifying for the State Hockey Tournament!
                            AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              Congrats to Mankato East qualifying for the State Hockey Tournament!
                              RIGHT! My family always goes up to watch The Tourney. Its actually what my son asks for his bday. Hotel swimming hockey. Be fun to see a Kato team up there.

NMU change was good to see. I enjoyed the games with them. I do want to see the WCHA as a whole get better. Better teams means better on ice product. I dont see the NCHC taking us unless there is another major shift.

Weekends games should be good. UAF sometimes gives is fits. I want to see this team come out with some jump and killer instinct.
                              All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

A few things to clean up, but overpowered the Nanooks for the most part.

I’m guessing NMU will win tonight, but you never know. I’m glad we’d see Tech rather than BSU.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X