2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Impressive stats YTD match up quite nice with the team that I think was our best as a D-1 back in 2014-15

Stat 2014-15 2017-18
    Record 29-8-3 25-7 (ytd)
    Goals per game 3.62 4.0
    Goals against 1.93 2.09
    Shots attempts 33.3 35
    Shots opp/game 21.6 21.9
    PP% 24.3 27.3
    PK% 86.9 86.1

Comment

Originally posted by ole ole ole ole View Post
      Impressive stats YTD match up quite nice with the team that I think was our best as a D-1 back in 2014-15

Stat 2014-15 2017-18
      Record 29-8-3 25-7 (ytd)
      Goals per game 3.62 4.0
      Goals against 1.93 2.09
      Shots attempts 33.3 35
      Shots opp/game 21.6 21.9
      PP% 24.3 27.3
      PK% 86.9 86.1
      It is interesting. FWIW, those close to the team say this team is better. Deeper everywhere but in the net. Williams was the best goaltender, but this year’s depth up front and on the Blue line are impressive.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        It is interesting. FWIW, those close to the team say this team is better. Deeper everywhere but in the net. Williams was the best goaltender, but this year’s depth up front and on the Blue line are impressive.
        I hope that translates into a deep run in the NCAA's. We still have to get that NCAA tourney monkey off our back !!

Comment

Originally posted by ole ole ole ole View Post
          I hope that translates into a deep run in the NCAA's. We still have to get that NCAA tourney monkey off our back !!
          This is why I wonder if Sioux Falls is our best bet. Winning game 1 of the NCAAs and getting that confidence is HUGE.
          AF 99

Comment

Can’t sleep. It’s Game Day! Go Mavs!!
            AF 99

Comment

Can’t sleep. It’s Game Day! Go Mavs!!
              You know what to do, men! Finish the job!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                You know what to do, men! Finish the job!
                I want to see the cup tonight! The rafters need more banners!
                AF 99

Comment

I want to see the cup tonight! The rafters need more banners!
                  hear hear!

Comment

Alright, so a successful weekend, clinching the MacNaughton and at worst getting Saturday’s game to record as the first official tie of the season for the Mavericks.

I would prefer MTU upsets BSU.. assuming the Mavs take care of Alaska, I’d like to avoid the BSU “trap” game.
                    AF 99

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Alright, so a successful weekend, clinching the MacNaughton and at worst getting Saturday’s game to record as the first official tie of the season for the Mavericks.

I would prefer MTU upsets BSU.. assuming the Mavs take care of Alaska, I’d like to avoid the BSU “trap” game.
                      More immediately, I'd like to see us beat UAF! I do think the whipping we took up there will keep the guys focused on this week. You hear all the NCAA talk about seedings and regionals and hope we're not putting the cart in front of the horse, but I have faith in Coach Hastings keeping the guys focused.

But regarding styles of hockey, yes, seeing the 5 defenders packed inside the dots, and chipping the puck out with no real hope or intent to score - Not exactly something I'd pay money to watch every week.

Comment

More immediately, I'd like to see us beat UAF! I do think the whipping we took up there will keep the guys focused on this week. You hear all the NCAA talk about seedings and regionals and hope we're not putting the cart in front of the horse, but I have faith in Coach Hastings keeping the guys focused.

But regarding styles of hockey, yes, seeing the 5 defenders packed inside the dots, and chipping the puck out with no real hope or intent to score - Not exactly something I'd pay money to watch every week.
                        You absolutely cannot get down to a team like Bemidji. They play a system and they play it well. I wouldn't call it an exciting style of hockey for many fans, but it is extremely effective when it's done well and Bemidji does it well.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                          You absolutely cannot get down to a team like Bemidji. They play a system and they play it well. I wouldn't call it an exciting style of hockey for many fans, but it is extremely effective when it's done well and Bemidji does it well.
                          Agreed, and while it can be frustrating to watch, I don’t get angry or blame the Beavers or anyone else who does it. The goal is to win, not look pretty. I know many get upset that BSU would do that, it’s bad for the WCHA, etc. well, if BSU wins that way and thinks that’s their best shot, so be it.
                          AF 99

Comment

Agreed, and while it can be frustrating to watch, I don’t get angry or blame the Beavers or anyone else who does it. The goal is to win, not look pretty. I know many get upset that BSU would do that, it’s bad for the WCHA, etc. well, if BSU wins that way and thinks that’s their best shot, so be it.
                            Well, personally, I think it IS bad for the WCHA, but that's irrelevant. If that's their best chance of winning, that's what they should do.
                            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                              Well, personally, I think it IS bad for the WCHA, but that's irrelevant. If that's their best chance of winning, that's what they should do.
                              I think there are several factors that keep high-end recruits from coming to the WCHA, but being the 1 to 1, Heading to Overtime League certainly doesn’t help

Comment

I think there are several factors that keep high-end recruits from coming to the WCHA, but being the 1 to 1, Heading to Overtime League certainly doesn’t help
                                Overtime was down in the league this year — by my count, 22 this year v. 30 last year. Even better, only 15 game went past 65:00 —*down from 20 the year prior. Multi-goal wins went up sharply, though, which I don't think is good for the league. (Note: this year, I didn't deduct ENG.). In all, we have small sample sizes, but I like these trends.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X