2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Nice sweep tonight against a great opponent. Tech will be there at the end of the season. Games are usually won by seizing opportunities when they present themselves which looks like that's what happened tonight. I like our early season ability to finish games so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ole ole ole ole View Post
      Nice sweep tonight against a great opponent. Tech will be there at the end of the season. Games are usually won by seizing opportunities when they present themselves which looks like that's what happened tonight. I like our early season ability to finish games so far.
      Glad with the win but the refs get an assist. played well but once again stupid penalties. Can't keep getting 5 minute majors and its not like these are questionable calls. They were dominating the game Saturday before the 5 min.

Good start in conference play. Next 4 are big with NMU playing well and Bemidji is always a tough team and will be there at the end of they year.

On to NMU
      All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Needed the sweep. Have to learn to stay out of the penalty box as it seems to be killing us lately. Penalty kill can only be so good.
        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
          Needed the sweep. Have to learn to stay out of the penalty box as it seems to be killing us lately. Penalty kill can only be so good.
          Agree on the penalties, and from Hastings' comments, I'm guessing that will be a big point of emphasis this week.
          I do think NMU could be in the running all year. This reminds me a lot of Hastings' 1st year. Good rookie coach whose predecessor left him some talent to work with. Losing to them was nothing shameful.

Comment

Just got back from a weekend in Marquette. Found a couple of friendly Northern fans at 3rd Base and had a good time after the games.

Couple of thoughts:
            While I don't think overall we played badly on Saturday, it's just that Northern Michigan played much better. And we cannot take silly penalties like holding in the offensive zone by Jaremko, after getting called for holding twice on Friday.

Northern Michigan clearly is a much better team and much better coached than last season.

Generally if you can win at home and split on the road, everyone will be very happy at the end of the season. We have done that so far.

On to my next road trip to Bemidji.

Comment

Well defensively we can be better but a sweep is great and ill take an offense putting up those type of #s against a team like bemidji who usually is defensively sound.

Next weekend series is a big one at home.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                Well defensively we can be better but a sweep is great and ill take an offense putting up those type of #s against a team like bemidji who usually is defensively sound.

Next weekend series is a big one at home.
                First place on the line. Should be some intense, physical hockey next weekend. Since it's Bowling Green, I'm predicting a split!

Comment

I think the Mavericks found their number one goalie this weekend. If he plays like he did Friday night and in relief on Saturday against Bemidji, I think the WCHA is yours for the taking.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    I think the Mavericks found their number one goalie this weekend. If he plays like he did Friday night and in relief on Saturday against Bemidji, I think the WCHA is yours for the taking.
                    The numbers are clearly in LaCouvee's favor, but Pawloski has 2 road shutouts, his only 2 wins. Pillows has also been dependable in the past, but I'd agree that maybe it's time to give the net to LaCouvee.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      The numbers are clearly in LaCouvee's favor, but Pawloski has 2 road shutouts, his only 2 wins. Pillows has also been dependable in the past, but I'd agree that maybe it's time to give the net to LaCouvee.
                      I like pawlowski and he can definitely be good but i also think that LaCouvee seems a little more solid in net. Id still give both a chance but by January id hope we have a #1.
                      Big games this weekend. Be nice to see a packed house this for both. Saturday has a chance to be rowdy especially if football wins.

Comment

http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1718/201712/dec11wpm.php
                        It was a very good weekend!

Side note: I saw Zeb play quite a bit in the USHL. I was not overwhelmed. But the improvement he has made each year at MSU is phenomenal! Good for him and good for the coaching staff. It speaks well of both.

Comment

Good to see two solid wins. I have been waiting for this team to play to their potential and without Michaelis. Hopefully the play continues and they sweep UAH as they should. Go into break 1st in the WCHA at 13-5 is a good start.

Comment

Parker was a beast against UAH. He was definitely the best player on the ice over the weekend IMHO. CJ was awesome on the scorecard but....

Comment

Originally posted by ole ole ole ole View Post
                              Parker was a beast against UAH. He was definitely the best player on the ice over the weekend IMHO. CJ was awesome on the scorecard but....
                              2 exceptional assists by Tuomie on Saturday. Great vision on the ice. I keep waiting for him and McClure to get some goals. The effort and the shooting ability are there. I think they're due for a breakout second half.

Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

Have y'all heard anything about Gerards' health after the unconscionable hit from Saulnier?

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X