Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Mercy is keeping up with the shot count each game, sometimes exceeding their opponent. More goals need to go in. You don't see many rebounds on their shots, most girls going for the top-shelf high light reel type goal which either goes over/wide of the net or simply caught by the goalie. Things could change if they simplify their game. 'Dirty' goals as they call them show up on the game sheet just as well as the pretty ones.

An important weekend series, let's hope Mercy is up to it.

Comment

With a 1-0 win Mercyhurst becomes the first team this year to shut out Robert Morris. Great win by the Lakers, beating #9 RMU. Kennedy Blair got her first collegiate shutout, and the goal for Mercyhurst came on a five on three power play, a nice shot from the top of the slot. Announced as Hartwick, but scoresheet says Vasko. Lots of back and forth action, game could have gone either way.

A friend and I traveled to watch the game and it was honestly amazing. I don’t get to watch many games live, and have never been to RMU. Great atmosphere with the band, got a free puck for my kid, rivalry, win against a ranked team. We tried to find Mercyhurst fans but I only saw one at the very end of the game. Did I miss them?

The rink was pretty cool since the atmosphere was there. I don’t care for the yellow everywhere but figure it has to do with it being “84 Lumber Arena”. Regardless, it was all great to see, as a CHA fan.

Big game tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post

An important weekend series, let's hope Mercy is up to it.
        So far, so good!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          A friend and I traveled to watch the game and it was honestly amazing.
          You picked a good one to be in the stands for - great road win, beating Robert Morris in their own barn, and keeping Brittany Howard scoreless at the same time. Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            You picked a good one to be in the stands for - great road win, beating Robert Morris in their own barn, and keeping Brittany Howard scoreless at the same time. Good luck tomorrow!
            I agree!

Comment

Nuutinen gets her first as a Laker, as Mercyhurst takes down Syracuse 4-1. Tanskanen had a three point night including a short handed goal, Knott and Hartwick seem to be heating up, each with a goal tonight as well.

Syracuse and Mercyhurst are now tied for second place in the CHA. Game two tomorrow is the last CHA game until after Christmas.

Comment

Congrats to Lakers on a split with 7th ranked Ohio State. Last night the Lakers fell 2-1 to OSU in the final minutes of the third. Today, the Lakers were down 4-2 with about 12 minutes to go in the third. I rechecked the score, and it was a 6-4 final. That must have been fun to play in, and to watch live.

The Lakers head into the break having won four of their last six, finally a sweep under their belt last week vs Syracuse, and a nice non conference win this weekend. They are in second in the CHA, one point behind RMU.

After the break, it’s all CHA play with the exception of one non conference series vs Bemidji. Tanskanen and Nuutinen are both in Europe right now trying out for the Olympics so their post break availability is not yet known.

While the Lakers would like a few more in the win column to this point, they are getting better week to week, which bodes well for the second half.

Comment

Congrats to Lakers on a split with 7th ranked Ohio State. Last night the Lakers fell 2-1 to OSU in the final minutes of the third. Today, the Lakers were down 4-2 with about 12 minutes to go in the third. I rechecked the score, and it was a 6-4 final. That must have been fun to play in, and to watch live.
                  Would have been a nightmare to watch if you're OSU

Mercyhurst went crazy with 4 goals in last 7 minutes! I noticed SOG were 9-9 in the third period. A team has to finish the deal if they want to win the game, but congrats to the Lakers on a great way to finish 2017, I'm sure they are feeling fine tonight!!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Would have been a nightmare to watch if you're OSU
                    Hahah you are right! Yes have to finish games for sure. That’s the sort of game players learn from, I would think, no matter whether you are the winning or losing team. It’s not over until it’s over.

Comment

A great effort by the girls, getting a split with the Buckeyes. Let's hope a tough loss in the last minute last night and a win against a good Ohio State team today earns these girls a little respect. They have competed well and have had a couple of hiccups along the way with a very tough schedule, but 2018 looks promising.

Comment

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...-schedule.aspx

The Lakers take on RIT at home this weekend. A sweep would move the Lakers into first place in the CHA. Currently the Lakers have 11 points, and RMU has 14 and plays out of conference this weekend.. The rest of the season is all in conference for the Lakers. RIT sits at the bottom of the conference with two league points.

I assume this is the case in every conference, but the CHA teams play each other hard. There are no gimme’s, and tomorrow brings a new test. Hopefully Tanskanen and Nuutinen are back this weekend after playing in Europe and missing the last series vs Bemidji.

Last week the Lakers wrapped up their non-conference schedule (unless they win CHA’s and get an auto bid, which is entirely possible) with a road trip to Bemidji. They came away with a split, bringing the final non conference record to 3-10-1 if I recall. That included three OT losses (Minn, Colgate, Bemidji). Splits were with RPI, OSU, and Bemidji. The tie was vs SLU. From the hockey I saw....Wisconsin looked far and away the best of the bunch. The difference between the rest isn’t much at all. That said, you have to give credit to the winners.

The Lakers will look to improve their non conference record next year, or in March, but first things first: RIT at the MIC tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                          A great effort by the girls, getting a split with the Buckeyes. Let's hope a tough loss in the last minute last night and a win against a good Ohio State team today earns these girls a little respect. They have competed well and have had a couple of hiccups along the way with a very tough schedule, but 2018 looks promising.
                          Well said! Gooooo Lakers in 2018.

Comment

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...-schedule.aspx

The Lakers take on RIT at home this weekend. A sweep would move the Lakers into first place in the CHA.
                            Being a Penn State fan, I'm not supposed to cheer for Mercyhurst, but I'd love to see them take over first place in the CHA because I think Mercyhurst is a better team than Robert Morris. They've certainly played a harder schedule than Robert Morris has.

There are no gimme’s, and tomorrow brings a new test.
                            I'm not at Mercyhurst, so I don't have to be as diplomatic: Mercyhurst is going to hammer RIT. There, I said it.

I like how the CHA is going right now. Mercyhurst is definitely in the fight for the top spot, and I honestly think the conference title is theirs to win. Syracuse is a hard call, and I think they'll have to beat a Penn State push for a third place slot in the tournament. It's all CHA games until then, so the fight is on!

Comment

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin

I'm not at Mercyhurst, so I don't have to be as diplomatic: Mercyhurst is going to hammer RIT. There, I said it[/QUOTE]

I think I’m still haunted by the 2014 conference championship loss to RIT. Mercyhurst dominated but lost in 2OT. Luckily they were ranked high enough to make the final 8, and ended up in the Frozen Four despite a not winning the conference championship.

I’m of the mind that there are no easy wins so am hesitant to make bold declarations, but you were right about Mercyhurst hammering RIT. Congrats to Mercyhurst in a 7-2 win over RIT. 7 different goal scorers including the first collegiate goal for freshman defender Rachel Marmen.

I missed the first period but RIT was up 2-1 and shots were pretty even after one period. At the beginning of the second it was kind of ugly, back and forth hockey. Maybe midway through the second there was a Hartwick shift with I think Isbell and someone else where they kept the puck in RIT’s zone for what felt like forever. After the whistle it was Nuutinen’s line out there and it was like RIT just ran out of gas after that. Mercyhurst dominated from then on out, played loose and looked great. But getting to that point, where you’ve worn them down and a puck finally goes in the net, it’s a challenge every night, for the majority of teams IMO. So credit to Mercyhurst on earning a win.

I haven’t looked at the score sheet but thought Hine and Frappier had a nice game, in addition to many Lakers. Big game tomorrow - a chance to move into first in the CHA.

Comment

Two nice wins by the Lakers puts them in first place in the CHA. The team played with confidence, filled the net, so hopefully this keeps up for the rest of the season for the remaining conference games. Two goals against in 2 games also fantastic. Great to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X