Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

The Lakers got their first home win, and first non conference win of the season yesterday against RPI, improving to 3-8-2 on the season. They play today at 1, with a chance to get their first sweep of the season. Last year the series vs RPI represented the Lakersí sole non conference sweep for the year.

The win yesterday was welcome, as is always the case, but was especially nice after a bye weekend and post Thanksgiving. You never know what you are going to get when routines are disrupted (Wisconsin and Colgate losses yesterday, for example) so to get past that hurdle is good. A let down today would be unfortunate.

The shots were pretty close yesterday, and Mercyhurst did all its scoring in the first period, except for the empty netter. Impressively, goalie McDonnell earned an assist on one of the goals as well. Another good game is needed out of McDonnell today for sure.

I also have my eye on the RMU series vs OSU this weekend, as Mercyhurst faces them next week. RMU lost 7-3, in another game where the shots were even. RMU appears to not have the goaltending it had last year although OSU does have talented shooters. Iím eager to see Mercyhurst finally face RMU and Syracuse in December as none of those three have played each other yet, and other than Penn Stateís ability to tie seemingly everyone in the nation, not just in the CHA, we donít yet know a ton about the CHA regular season performances of the top four CHA teams.

But today, take care of RPI. Letís go Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I’m eager to see Mercyhurst finally face RMU and Syracuse in December, as none of those three have played each other yet, and other than Penn State’s ability to tie seemingly everyone in the nation, not just in the CHA, we don’t yet know a ton about the CHA regular season performances of the top four CHA teams.
    I'm with you on that - I want to see Mercyhurst face both Robert Morris and Syracuse to get a much better feel for what seems like a weird CHA so far this season. I know I'm biased, but the CHA standings right now aren't a real indication of things. Robert Morris couldn't beat Penn State in two games, and had to rally in the third period in both games just to salvage a tie in each, so I don't think they're as untouchable as a lot of people think they are. Do as Penn State did, and just shut down Brittany Howard and Robert Morris doesn't seem to have an answer. Mercyhurst did a better job against Penn State, and so did Syracuse.

The CHA will start to take real shape after Mercyhurst plays Robert Morris and Syracuse before the holiday break. Penn State has RIT next weekend as its final series before the break, but that's not really going to settle anything.

Mercy will not bounce back from a rough start unless they stay out of the box. Lazy and stupid penalties. You can't win a game in any sport when you are always playing short-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    Mercy will not bounce back from a rough start unless they stay out of the box. Lazy and stupid penalties. You can't win a game in any sport when you are always playing short-handed.
    For me that was the most disappointing loss of the season. Just a squandered opportunity, plus it guts any momentum going into next week. You are right about the penalties, especially with the PK running below 90%.

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...rt-morris.aspx

Game preview for the RMU series this weekend. Mercyhurst makes the two hour trip from Erie down to Pittsburgh for Friday and Saturday games. Last year RMU took seven out of eight points against Mercyhurst, including three 2-1 wins. Last time they played to a tie.

A note on Brittany Howard whoís making a bunch of noise in her senior year. The team most successful against her this year was Penn State who held her to one point all weekend, second most successful was Lindenwood and Maine who both held her to two points. Sheís had three six point weekends (RIT, MSU, Brown), so definitely donít want her to get going. Other scorers on RMU have emerged; at the beginning of the year I wondered if they might not have much depth.

In conference RMU averages 4.33 goals per game to Mercyhurstís 3.00.

On Mercyhurst Tanskanen, Dobson, Knott and Blasen each have seven points, tied for team lead.

RMU is the favorite in the series, but as this weekís Wednesday Women column pointed out, Mercyhurst is a team that forced Colgate, SLU and Minnesota to overtime this year. RMU has faced a weaker schedule than Mercyhurst thus far though, so it will be good to finally see the two teams go head to head.

Iím guessing but I would think these two teams consider each other their biggest rival. This year itís a match up of the 2016 CHA champ vs the 2017 CHA champ. Should be great games every time they meet.

Mercy is keeping up with the shot count each game, sometimes exceeding their opponent. More goals need to go in. You don't see many rebounds on their shots, most girls going for the top-shelf high light reel type goal which either goes over/wide of the net or simply caught by the goalie. Things could change if they simplify their game. 'Dirty' goals as they call them show up on the game sheet just as well as the pretty ones.

An important weekend series, let's hope Mercy is up to it.

With a 1-0 win Mercyhurst becomes the first team this year to shut out Robert Morris. Great win by the Lakers, beating #9 RMU. Kennedy Blair got her first collegiate shutout, and the goal for Mercyhurst came on a five on three power play, a nice shot from the top of the slot. Announced as Hartwick, but scoresheet says Vasko. Lots of back and forth action, game could have gone either way.

A friend and I traveled to watch the game and it was honestly amazing. I donít get to watch many games live, and have never been to RMU. Great atmosphere with the band, got a free puck for my kid, rivalry, win against a ranked team. We tried to find Mercyhurst fans but I only saw one at the very end of the game. Did I miss them?

The rink was pretty cool since the atmosphere was there. I donít care for the yellow everywhere but figure it has to do with it being ď84 Lumber ArenaĒ. Regardless, it was all great to see, as a CHA fan.

Big game tomorrow.

An important weekend series, let's hope Mercy is up to it.
    So far, so good!

A friend and I traveled to watch the game and it was honestly amazing.
    You picked a good one to be in the stands for - great road win, beating Robert Morris in their own barn, and keeping Brittany Howard scoreless at the same time. Good luck tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    You picked a good one to be in the stands for - great road win, beating Robert Morris in their own barn, and keeping Brittany Howard scoreless at the same time. Good luck tomorrow!
    I agree!

Nuutinen gets her first as a Laker, as Mercyhurst takes down Syracuse 4-1. Tanskanen had a three point night including a short handed goal, Knott and Hartwick seem to be heating up, each with a goal tonight as well.

Syracuse and Mercyhurst are now tied for second place in the CHA. Game two tomorrow is the last CHA game until after Christmas.

Congrats to Lakers on a split with 7th ranked Ohio State. Last night the Lakers fell 2-1 to OSU in the final minutes of the third. Today, the Lakers were down 4-2 with about 12 minutes to go in the third. I rechecked the score, and it was a 6-4 final. That must have been fun to play in, and to watch live.

The Lakers head into the break having won four of their last six, finally a sweep under their belt last week vs Syracuse, and a nice non conference win this weekend. They are in second in the CHA, one point behind RMU.

After the break, itís all CHA play with the exception of one non conference series vs Bemidji. Tanskanen and Nuutinen are both in Europe right now trying out for the Olympics so their post break availability is not yet known.

While the Lakers would like a few more in the win column to this point, they are getting better week to week, which bodes well for the second half.

Congrats to Lakers on a split with 7th ranked Ohio State. Last night the Lakers fell 2-1 to OSU in the final minutes of the third. Today, the Lakers were down 4-2 with about 12 minutes to go in the third. I rechecked the score, and it was a 6-4 final. That must have been fun to play in, and to watch live.
    Would have been a nightmare to watch if you're OSU

Mercyhurst went crazy with 4 goals in last 7 minutes! I noticed SOG were 9-9 in the third period. A team has to finish the deal if they want to win the game, but congrats to the Lakers on a great way to finish 2017, I'm sure they are feeling fine tonight!!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Would have been a nightmare to watch if you're OSU
    Hahah you are right! Yes have to finish games for sure. Thatís the sort of game players learn from, I would think, no matter whether you are the winning or losing team. Itís not over until itís over.

A great effort by the girls, getting a split with the Buckeyes. Let's hope a tough loss in the last minute last night and a win against a good Ohio State team today earns these girls a little respect. They have competed well and have had a couple of hiccups along the way with a very tough schedule, but 2018 looks promising.

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...-schedule.aspx

The Lakers take on RIT at home this weekend. A sweep would move the Lakers into first place in the CHA. Currently the Lakers have 11 points, and RMU has 14 and plays out of conference this weekend.. The rest of the season is all in conference for the Lakers. RIT sits at the bottom of the conference with two league points.

I assume this is the case in every conference, but the CHA teams play each other hard. There are no gimmeís, and tomorrow brings a new test. Hopefully Tanskanen and Nuutinen are back this weekend after playing in Europe and missing the last series vs Bemidji.

Last week the Lakers wrapped up their non-conference schedule (unless they win CHAís and get an auto bid, which is entirely possible) with a road trip to Bemidji. They came away with a split, bringing the final non conference record to 3-10-1 if I recall. That included three OT losses (Minn, Colgate, Bemidji). Splits were with RPI, OSU, and Bemidji. The tie was vs SLU. From the hockey I saw....Wisconsin looked far and away the best of the bunch. The difference between the rest isnít much at all. That said, you have to give credit to the winners.

The Lakers will look to improve their non conference record next year, or in March, but first things first: RIT at the MIC tomorrow.

A great effort by the girls, getting a split with the Buckeyes. Let's hope a tough loss in the last minute last night and a win against a good Ohio State team today earns these girls a little respect. They have competed well and have had a couple of hiccups along the way with a very tough schedule, but 2018 looks promising.
    Well said! Gooooo Lakers in 2018.

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...-schedule.aspx

The Lakers take on RIT at home this weekend. A sweep would move the Lakers into first place in the CHA.
    Being a Penn State fan, I'm not supposed to cheer for Mercyhurst, but I'd love to see them take over first place in the CHA because I think Mercyhurst is a better team than Robert Morris. They've certainly played a harder schedule than Robert Morris has.

There are no gimme’s, and tomorrow brings a new test.
    I'm not at Mercyhurst, so I don't have to be as diplomatic: Mercyhurst is going to hammer RIT. There, I said it.

I like how the CHA is going right now. Mercyhurst is definitely in the fight for the top spot, and I honestly think the conference title is theirs to win. Syracuse is a hard call, and I think they'll have to beat a Penn State push for a third place slot in the tournament. It's all CHA games until then, so the fight is on!

[QUOTE=ZedLeppelin

I'm not at Mercyhurst, so I don't have to be as diplomatic: Mercyhurst is going to hammer RIT. There, I said it[/QUOTE]

I think Iím still haunted by the 2014 conference championship loss to RIT. Mercyhurst dominated but lost in 2OT. Luckily they were ranked high enough to make the final 8, and ended up in the Frozen Four despite a not winning the conference championship.

Iím of the mind that there are no easy wins so am hesitant to make bold declarations, but you were right about Mercyhurst hammering RIT. Congrats to Mercyhurst in a 7-2 win over RIT. 7 different goal scorers including the first collegiate goal for freshman defender Rachel Marmen.

I missed the first period but RIT was up 2-1 and shots were pretty even after one period. At the beginning of the second it was kind of ugly, back and forth hockey. Maybe midway through the second there was a Hartwick shift with I think Isbell and someone else where they kept the puck in RITís zone for what felt like forever. After the whistle it was Nuutinenís line out there and it was like RIT just ran out of gas after that. Mercyhurst dominated from then on out, played loose and looked great. But getting to that point, where youíve worn them down and a puck finally goes in the net, itís a challenge every night, for the majority of teams IMO. So credit to Mercyhurst on earning a win.

I havenít looked at the score sheet but thought Hine and Frappier had a nice game, in addition to many Lakers. Big game tomorrow - a chance to move into first in the CHA.

Two nice wins by the Lakers puts them in first place in the CHA. The team played with confidence, filled the net, so hopefully this keeps up for the rest of the season for the remaining conference games. Two goals against in 2 games also fantastic. Great to see.

Thread Information