Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...g-weekend.aspx

Mercyhurst's series preview against St Lawrence. Mercyhurst is 13-16-2 all time vs SLU.

SLU has a transfer from Mercyhurst, Rachael Smith, who I'm sure Mercyhurst will want to keep off the score sheet. Also of note is long time SLU assistant coach Mare MacDougall Bari is a 2003 graduate of Mercyhurst, so a homecoming for her.

Looking forward to watching the girls live tonight. Should be a great atmosphere, and I know of a handful of alums who are coming in for the games as well to cheer on the Lakers. Just need the work day to hurry on by now!

After week 2 of the season, the Lakers are still looking for their first win, coming away with a loss and a tie at home against St Lawrence.

Good: tied the 6th ranked team in the country on Saturday.

Not so good: after giving up 2 goals in the first period Friday, the Lakers' pace and the speed of the game dropped off making the challenge of coming back even greater, although they did outshoot SLU both days. The Lakers will want to dictate the pace of the games for next week's series and not be lulled into a pace that is slower than their best.

Great: On Saturday the Lakers played with intensity and a faster pace that they didn't sustain on Friday, and more important McDonnell found a groove in net stopping a breakaway early, and making some big stops during a flurry of penalties to end the third period and in OT.

Regarding St Lawrence: that line of 10-11-16 is really good. I think they got all 5 goals. Their goalie played well, giving up one goal on a tip through traffic.

Alright, Lindenwood on the road next week.

On Friday, it's hard for any team to come back from 2 quick goals. Not impossible, but it does take the wind out of your sails right from the start. The Lakers battled hard, but couldn't pull it off. The Saturday game showed what this team is capable of. There were some line combo changes and for the most part they seemed to have helped. This team has incredible potential, just need to work some of kinks out and stay out of the bloody penalty box. It's hard to compete when you're always killing penalties. But some calls on both teams were questionable to say the least.
    Last edited by slapshot willy; 10-09-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    The Saturday game showed what this team is capable of. ... This team has incredible potential,
    Agreed! I had so much fun watching them. They do a lot of things right, all over the ice.

CHA play starts today, Lakers at Lindenwood. They play at 4pm EST today and 11:30 am EST tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen a game start so early, and that might even be 10:30 local time, not sure.

Does anyone know if you can get the stream of the game after it's over? I can't watch while the games are on but might like to watch one later.

Go Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Does anyone know if you can get the stream of the game after it's over? I can't watch while the games are on but might like to watch one later.
    Go Lakers!
    It looks like you can go to the "on demand" section and buy a CHA day pass for $10.99 and watch the game later.
    For example, if you go to September 29 they have the Mankato-Lindenwood game there. But there is a little bit of faith involved because if you try to buy the day pass for September 29 it doesn't actually say the date on the page when you press "Purchase".

A 3-2 loss to Lindenwood yesterday. When Vasko scored with seconds left in the second period to tie it up (first goal, nice job!), I thought for sure the Lakers would come out and win the third period, and the game. Disappointingly, they came out and got outshot, gave up a goal and lost the game.

If the Lakers win today, I would say that right now, the Laker team we have looks like the same Laker team as last year. If they get swept by Lindenwood, that's a step back. I am not surprised by a split with Lindenwood. I will be surprised if we get swept.

On that note, the way the CHA playoffs work is that the first two ranked teams get a bye in the first round. If you don't get a bye, to win the tourney Inthink you have to win 3 games in 3 days. Of course you want to win the regular season, but there is a huge incentive to finish even top 2.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 10-14-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Yahoo! Way to go Lakers! The Lakers beat Lindenwood 6-1 today. Congrats to Blair on her first collegiate win, and to Korzack for her first goal.

The Lakers are the far better team, outshooting the Lions 48-15, and winning soundly. Alas, they have identical records right now. Squandering league points against teams they vastly out skill is a habit the Lakers will want to kick. I remain optimistic they will do so.

I thought there might be parity, but after watching today I don't think so. Literally every line the Lakers put on the ice controlled the play. DeBruyn is a decent goalie, and the Lakers put four past her. Nice to finally see that.

A couple other things: Tanksanen and Nuutinen aren't showing up in the scoresheet yet, but I'm thrilled Mercyhurst has them. They definitely make the team better. The frosh were fun to watch today, especially liked Dobson's play at the end of the game to keep the puck in the Lindenwood zone, causing a goal with 3 seconds left.

It's weird though, because if I have this right: Lindenwood tied Mankato a couple weeks ago, and Mankato pushed Wisconsin to the I end yesterday, after getting destroyed 6-0 by RMU last week, who is currently losing to Maine 3-0. What? I maintain there is not quite parity of skill in all these teams, but there is an inconsistency that you can count on in almost every team, including the Lakers. Here's hoping we see more of what we saw today, going forward.

Yes, things are picking up let's hope more wins are on the way. The game on Friday was a strange one, the loss kind of stinks. They played well, the goal called back by Vasko (? I think) would have helped. The team played very well today and 6 goals shows that. Unfortunate for the shutout spoiler later in the third. As for the Finns not getting on the score sheet much they eventually will. They just have to get familiar with their new teamates and new surroundings.
    Last edited by slapshot willy; 10-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Doesn't get any easier for the Lakers, having to face a very good Colgate team. It's a tough way to start the season facing so many highly ranked teams. Hopefully it makes them stronger down the road. It would be nice to see the Lakers give Colgate a run for the money, anything can happen in a hockey game !!

This years' seniors are 3-3 vs Colgate, although the last 3 were won by Colgate. Lifetime, Mercyhurst is 18-5-2 vs Colgate. Game is at six, and I am hoping it will stream free, as last week's NU series did.

I wonder how often a program plays a non conference opponent 4 years straight? I like it, but I have to think the programs will take a break from each other soon, even if only for a year. Another reason to leave it all on the ice this weekend.

A tough test, as Slapshot said. I'm excited to see what plays out. Let's go Lakers!

Tough break for the Lakers last night, OT goal by Colgate hit the mesh with 0.1 seconds on the clock. Lakers played well, lets' hope the momentum carries to game 2 and the OT loss is past history. Regroup and come out flyin' !!

Excited to follow the Lakers take on Penn State Friday and Saturday. The girls are coming off a bye weekend, and probably eager to get back on the ice and make a statement against a hardworking Penn State team. Going to predict a 2 win weekend for Mercyhurst. They have the edge in talent, but theyíll have to work extremely hard for every point. Itís the nature of hockey, but especially league play. Last year the Lakers went 3-1 vs Penn State. Thus far they are 1-6-1 on the year, same record they had last year going into Penn State weekend.

Freshman Vasko leads the team in points with 5 assists. Tanskanen got a couple of goals at Colgate, and KK Thiessen got her first collegiate goal as well. Congrats to both. ... now letís get some wins!

Letís go Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Excited to follow the Lakers take on Penn State Friday and Saturday. The girls are coming off a bye weekend, and probably eager to get back on the ice and make a statement against a hardworking Penn State team. Going to predict a 2 win weekend for Mercyhurst. They have the edge in talent, but they’ll have to work extremely hard for every point. It’s the nature of hockey, but especially league play. Last year the Lakers went 3-1 vs Penn State. Thus far they are 1-6-1 on the year, same record they had last year going into Penn State weekend.

Freshman Vasko leads the team in points with 5 assists. Tanskanen got a couple of goals at Colgate, and KK Thiessen got her first collegiate goal as well. Congrats to both. ... now let’s get some wins!

Let’s go Lakers!
    I'm really looking forward to this series with Mercyhurst because it's always a good test for Penn State, and Penn State always seems to want to win this one just a little bit more than the other conference games. I don't like that Mercyhurst is coming off a bye weekend, but you take them as they come. I'm thinking Penn State might have Daniela Paniccia in net, at least for one game, because I'm not sure Hannah Ehresmann is 100% yet (good as she's playing). It sounds like both teams have a motivated freshman class, so this should be fun.

It should be an interesting and exciting weekend series. Let's hope the bye week has the Mercy girls well rested and rarin' to go, but Penn State has been playing well.

Lakers have their first opportunity at a sweep this year, after getting a 3-1 win at Penn State yesterday. McDonnell got the win in net, so I expect sheíll start today. So far the goalies have split each series. Game time is at 2 pm - Zed has shared the free link in the Penn State thread.

Tanskanen had a pair of goals yesterday, extending her streak to four games. SRD (I like that) was on the ice for all 3 goals for, and had a 2 point game. I have enjoyed watching Hartwick and her confidence with the puck, just about every game. Sheís gotta be due for some goals, but big picture who cares, letís just win right? Was also nice to see Robello dress yesterday, although I am not sure how much ice she got. Rooting for her, and all the Lakers today.

Letís go Lakers!

A sweep would have been nice but 3 out of 4 points is OK too. Penn State played mercy well in game two but it was nice to see Mercy keep their composure and get that tying goal towards the latter part of the game. A long series of road trips now replaced with some home dates. Think that will make everyone on the team happy

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    A sweep would have been nice but 3 out of 4 points is OK too. Penn State played mercy well in game two but it was nice to see Mercy keep their composure and get that tying goal towards the latter part of the game. A long series of road trips now replaced with some home dates. Think that will make everyone on the team happy
    Yea, a nice weekend by Mercyhurst. I watched most of the second game (missed the Laker goal ) and felt Mercyhurst controlled most the play and played well.

It just dawned on me this weekend that Mercyhurst has only had one home series so far this year. It will be nice for them to play at home for a stretch - first up, Minnesota.

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...minnesota.aspx

Game day! Lakers host Minnesota at 3 pm today. Interesting that the programs have only played each other 7 times in 19 years. Last time was 2009, when the Lakers got their only win against Minnesota. Thank you Meghan Agosta, no doubt.

I donít have the time to do it, but it would be neat to see an all time spreadsheet of who has played who. Some non conference teams play each other so much they are practically in conference, others barely ever play each other.

It will be exciting to host Minnesota. A great challenge, but a great opportunity too. Might go watch a game depending on the weather. I want to see the Lakers, want to see Zumwinkle, and hope they get a good crowd too. Goooo Lakers!

That 2-1 OT loss to the Gophers hurts especially since the girls played so hard, especially in the 3rd. Too many men in OT, leading to a game winning pp goal by Minny ? Ouch. But Mercy should hold their heads high. They did well and hopefully will again tomorrow. A few chances for the Lakers to win the game towards the end of the third also.

Thread Information