Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

If the player turns at the last second and contact is made, it's still a penalty though right? That was my thought. Definitely unfortunate for the one getting the penalty though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe 'boarding' but not 5 mins and a game. And then a Wisc player gets a 10 minute-er or something later on ??
      Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      If the player turns at the last second and contact is made, it's still a penalty though right? That was my thought. Definitely unfortunate for the one getting the penalty though.

Comment

Doesn't get any easier for Mercy, having to face St. Lawrence for this coming weekends' home opener in Erie. Should be interesting. Starting your season against Wisconsin has its' pros and cons.......Pro being you know how hard you'll have to work to keep the game close or pull an upset and carry that play for the remainder of the season, con being 0 and 2 right away.

Comment

Home opener against SLU should be so fun. SLU is good, but there is a narrative on this board that the top 4 or so teams are in a class of their own, then there is a large group that has parity. I would think that Mercyhurst is in the mix with St Lawrence, but they have to prove it.

You're right going down 0-2 early is no fun, but the record may sort itself out over time if the girls play as hard as they did last weekend. The Lakers have an amazing first half schedule, possibly the most fun and challenging I've ever seen it. I think they are one of only 2 teams to play all 4 Big Ten teams, they get Colgate on the road in the new rink against a good Colgate team, but a team that should not intimidate Mercyhurst since they've played every year for the past few years. They have SLU this weekend who is good but who they beat last year.

There will be losses in there no doubt, but knowing the Lakers there will be some really exciting wins as well.

Comment

http://www.goerie.com/sports/2017092...-at-mercyhurst

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...eam-china.aspx

Two stories- 1st is about the newest Lakers Tanskanen, Nuutinen, and Blair.

2nd is about Team China / the Vanke Rays and Kunlun Red Star coming to Mercyhurst for Wed - Fri. Various events are scheduled including attending the Mercyhurst vs St Lawrence game and signing autographs.

Comment

http://www.hurstathletics.com/news/2...g-weekend.aspx

Mercyhurst's series preview against St Lawrence. Mercyhurst is 13-16-2 all time vs SLU.

SLU has a transfer from Mercyhurst, Rachael Smith, who I'm sure Mercyhurst will want to keep off the score sheet. Also of note is long time SLU assistant coach Mare MacDougall Bari is a 2003 graduate of Mercyhurst, so a homecoming for her.

Looking forward to watching the girls live tonight. Should be a great atmosphere, and I know of a handful of alums who are coming in for the games as well to cheer on the Lakers. Just need the work day to hurry on by now!

Comment

After week 2 of the season, the Lakers are still looking for their first win, coming away with a loss and a tie at home against St Lawrence.

Good: tied the 6th ranked team in the country on Saturday.

Not so good: after giving up 2 goals in the first period Friday, the Lakers' pace and the speed of the game dropped off making the challenge of coming back even greater, although they did outshoot SLU both days. The Lakers will want to dictate the pace of the games for next week's series and not be lulled into a pace that is slower than their best.

Great: On Saturday the Lakers played with intensity and a faster pace that they didn't sustain on Friday, and more important McDonnell found a groove in net stopping a breakaway early, and making some big stops during a flurry of penalties to end the third period and in OT.

Regarding St Lawrence: that line of 10-11-16 is really good. I think they got all 5 goals. Their goalie played well, giving up one goal on a tip through traffic.

Alright, Lindenwood on the road next week.

Comment

On Friday, it's hard for any team to come back from 2 quick goals. Not impossible, but it does take the wind out of your sails right from the start. The Lakers battled hard, but couldn't pull it off. The Saturday game showed what this team is capable of. There were some line combo changes and for the most part they seemed to have helped. This team has incredible potential, just need to work some of kinks out and stay out of the bloody penalty box. It's hard to compete when you're always killing penalties. But some calls on both teams were questionable to say the least.
                  Last edited by slapshot willy; 10-09-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                    The Saturday game showed what this team is capable of. ... This team has incredible potential,
                    Agreed! I had so much fun watching them. They do a lot of things right, all over the ice.

Comment

CHA play starts today, Lakers at Lindenwood. They play at 4pm EST today and 11:30 am EST tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen a game start so early, and that might even be 10:30 local time, not sure.

Does anyone know if you can get the stream of the game after it's over? I can't watch while the games are on but might like to watch one later.

Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Does anyone know if you can get the stream of the game after it's over? I can't watch while the games are on but might like to watch one later.
                        Go Lakers!
                        It looks like you can go to the "on demand" section and buy a CHA day pass for $10.99 and watch the game later.
                        For example, if you go to September 29 they have the Mankato-Lindenwood game there. But there is a little bit of faith involved because if you try to buy the day pass for September 29 it doesn't actually say the date on the page when you press "Purchase".

Comment

A 3-2 loss to Lindenwood yesterday. When Vasko scored with seconds left in the second period to tie it up (first goal, nice job!), I thought for sure the Lakers would come out and win the third period, and the game. Disappointingly, they came out and got outshot, gave up a goal and lost the game.

If the Lakers win today, I would say that right now, the Laker team we have looks like the same Laker team as last year. If they get swept by Lindenwood, that's a step back. I am not surprised by a split with Lindenwood. I will be surprised if we get swept.

On that note, the way the CHA playoffs work is that the first two ranked teams get a bye in the first round. If you don't get a bye, to win the tourney Inthink you have to win 3 games in 3 days. Of course you want to win the regular season, but there is a huge incentive to finish even top 2.
                          Last edited by Lindsay; 10-14-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Yahoo! Way to go Lakers! The Lakers beat Lindenwood 6-1 today. Congrats to Blair on her first collegiate win, and to Korzack for her first goal.

The Lakers are the far better team, outshooting the Lions 48-15, and winning soundly. Alas, they have identical records right now. Squandering league points against teams they vastly out skill is a habit the Lakers will want to kick. I remain optimistic they will do so.

I thought there might be parity, but after watching today I don't think so. Literally every line the Lakers put on the ice controlled the play. DeBruyn is a decent goalie, and the Lakers put four past her. Nice to finally see that.

A couple other things: Tanksanen and Nuutinen aren't showing up in the scoresheet yet, but I'm thrilled Mercyhurst has them. They definitely make the team better. The frosh were fun to watch today, especially liked Dobson's play at the end of the game to keep the puck in the Lindenwood zone, causing a goal with 3 seconds left.

It's weird though, because if I have this right: Lindenwood tied Mankato a couple weeks ago, and Mankato pushed Wisconsin to the I end yesterday, after getting destroyed 6-0 by RMU last week, who is currently losing to Maine 3-0. What? I maintain there is not quite parity of skill in all these teams, but there is an inconsistency that you can count on in almost every team, including the Lakers. Here's hoping we see more of what we saw today, going forward.

Comment

Yes, things are picking up let's hope more wins are on the way. The game on Friday was a strange one, the loss kind of stinks. They played well, the goal called back by Vasko (? I think) would have helped. The team played very well today and 6 goals shows that. Unfortunate for the shutout spoiler later in the third. As for the Finns not getting on the score sheet much they eventually will. They just have to get familiar with their new teamates and new surroundings.
                              Last edited by slapshot willy; 10-14-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Doesn't get any easier for the Lakers, having to face a very good Colgate team. It's a tough way to start the season facing so many highly ranked teams. Hopefully it makes them stronger down the road. It would be nice to see the Lakers give Colgate a run for the money, anything can happen in a hockey game !!

Comment

Working...
                                X