Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Biggest weekend of the season for Mercyhurst starts tonight at 7 when they play RMU in Erie. Atmosphere at the rink should be fantastic, hopefully lots of students there making some noise. I imagine RMU will have a good amount of fans as well; I believe their roster has a bunch of southern Ontario kids and Erie’s proximity to Canada lends itself to parents attending. This is the closest thing to a home playoff game the Lakers will get, given their tournament set up in Buffalo and not being a top four nation wide team. Should be incredibly fun.

RMU has the lead in conference points by two. Difference is essentially Mercyhurst’s league play opening loss to Lindenwood. RMU and Mercyhurst split with each other last time out, each has a loss to Syracuse, and each has a win and three ties against Penn State this year.

Gooooo Lakers!

Comment

Should be a good atmosphere, and I'm sure each team will be pumped. Some of the girls know each other and serious bragging rights will be on the line and a hopeful pass to the CHA tourney semis. But Syracuse is sitting close behind; it will be an exciting last 2 weekends of hockey.

Comment

Even being a Penn State fan, this is a series I'd love to go to - and I hope Mercyhurst sweeps Robert Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
          Even being a Penn State fan, this is a series I'd love to go to - and I hope Mercyhurst sweeps Robert Morris.
          That’s the spirit!

1-0 Hurst after two periods. Didn’t watch the first but based in shots looks like RMU dominated. The reverse was true in the 2nd. Goal was Knott from the slot off a rush on a power play. Fiesler and goalie Kennedy Blair assisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            That’s the spirit!

1-0 Hurst after two periods. Didn’t watch the first but based in shots looks like RMU dominated. The reverse was true in the 2nd. Goal was Knott from the slot off a rush on a power play. Fiesler and goalie Kennedy Blair assisted.
            ("Go Mercyhurst!", he says under his Penn State breath)

Comment

What a win by Mercyhurst. Watched the last two periods and it was the best hockey I have seen them play in a long long time.
              Three cool things:
              1- Kenned Blair shuts out RMU for the second time this year. Huge poke check in the third to neutralize an RMU scoring chance.
              2- It's the time of year when you look at a freshman and don't worry about them being a freshman. Thiessen handling Howard no big deal, on what looked like a dangerous play to begin with.
              3- The second period and the D continually springing the forwards on odd person rushes,creating multiple scoring chances. Not to sound ridiculous but it reminded me of Team USA.

ok 4 - going 2 for 4 on the PP and getting a huge win. Way to go Lakers!

Comment

Congratulations to Mercyhurst on grabbing two critical points from Robert Morris, and moving back into a tie for first place in the CHA!

Comment

Hmm. So RMU won today and now if they sweep Syracuse next weekend they win the CHA reg season. Ugh. But if Syracuse takes one win next weekend and Mercyhurst sweeps RIT, RMU and Mercyhurst would be tied in points. I think this is what would then play out, but correct me if I’m wrong:

Tie breaker is head to head record: Hurst and RMU are 2-2
                  Then total conference wins: both would be at 13
                  Comparison of results against top 2 teams: 2 -2 vs each other
                  Comparison of results vs top 4 teams: I think Penn State will be fourth place. RMU and Hurst have same record against Penn State and each other. Hurst went 3-1 vs Syracuse (third place team). If RMU splits with Syracuse they’ll be 2-2 vs them and Hurst would win the tie breaker for reg season champ.

Let’s go ‘Cuse! And let’s sweep RIT!

As for today’s loss, just yesterday I was thinking about how we hadn’t heard about Gebhard this year. Looked up her points, they were like 31. Still dangerous. Kid puts up two goals today and Howard puts up one. Tough one. Senior Brooke Hartwick scored both goals for the Lakers.

Comment

Ps tie breakers are per Grant on Twitter so totally official right?

Comment

Actually, fourth place is still in play as well, between Lindenwood and Penn State who play each other next weekend. Hurst needs to root for Penn State. I think if Lindenwood finishes fourth, and Syracuse splits with RMU, and Hurst sweeps RIT next weekend, we would end with co champions. Basically chaos in the CHA. Down to the last weekend, that’s fun I guess.

Comment

Actually, fourth place is still in play as well, between Lindenwood and Penn State who play each other next weekend. Hurst needs to root for Penn State. I think if Lindenwood finishes fourth, and Syracuse splits with RMU, and Hurst sweeps RIT next weekend, we would end with co champions. Basically chaos in the CHA. Down to the last weekend, that’s fun I guess.
                        Syracuse and Robert Morris split last time at Robert Morris, so a split this time at Syracuse is very possible. I also don't see RIT taking any points from Mercyhurst next weekend, so I think the Lakers have the upper hand. Penn State has Lindenwood at Penn State, so I hope that's an edge. Tough loss for Mercyhurst today, and you're right - the CHA regular season is ending in a mess, for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                          Syracuse and Robert Morris split last time at Robert Morris, so a split this time at Syracuse is very possible. I also don't see RIT taking any points from Mercyhurst next weekend, so I think the Lakers have the upper hand. Penn State has Lindenwood at Penn State, so I hope that's an edge. Tough loss for Mercyhurst today, and you're right - the CHA regular season is ending in a mess, for sure!
                          Ah, good to know that Syracuse is home next week. I hadn’t looked it up. Yea it would be better for Mercyhurst to control their own destiny, but this scenario where Hurst ends up reg season champ isn’t too far fetched either.

Comment

Thinking out loud here and trying to consider all the possibilities, however unlikely:

Hmm. So RMU won today and now if they sweep Syracuse next weekend they win the CHA reg season. Ugh. But if Syracuse takes one win next weekend and Mercyhurst sweeps RIT, RMU and Mercyhurst would be tied in points. I think this is what would then play out, but correct me if I’m wrong:

Tie breaker is head to head record: Hurst and RMU are 2-2
                            Then total conference wins: both would be at 13
                            Comparison of results against top 2 teams: 2 -2 vs each other
                            Comparison of results vs top 4 teams: I think Penn State will be fourth place. RMU and Hurst have same record against Penn State and each other. Hurst went 3-1 vs Syracuse (third place team). If RMU splits with Syracuse they’ll be 2-2 vs them and Hurst would win the tie breaker for reg season champ.
                            There are four conference points left for the taking. The only scenario not considered is if Syracuse sweeps Robert Morris next weekend, and RIT sweeps Mercyhurst (I'll wait for the laughing to stop before I continue)...............Syracuse and Robert Morris would end up with 27 points apiece and Mercyhurst would finish with 25. I'm too lazy to do the tie breaker stuff that follows.

Next weekend I'm a Mercyhurst fan (never thought I'd say that) and a Syracuse fan. Okay, 1/4 Mercyhurst and 3/4 Syracuse, just so I don't get blacklisted from Pegula Ice Arena.

Comment

Huge congrats to Emma Nuutinen of Finland, who won a bronze medal last night. In her second Olympics Emma got a goal and an assist, and a more importantly; the bronze medal.

Happy for her success and can’t wait to see her back in Laker jersey.

Comment

Huge congrats to Emma Nuutinen of Finland, who won a bronze medal last night. In her second Olympics Emma got a goal and an assist, and a more importantly; the bronze medal.

Happy for her success and can’t wait to see her back in Laker jersey.
                                I was going to say something about them Finnishing off Syracuse in OT, but I heard the groans coming before I could even say it.

Comment

Working...
                                X