Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 127

Thread: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    240

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    http://www.uscho.com/2018/03/07/wedn...final-eight-2/

    One more link, nice discussion by Arlan and Nicole on Mercyhurst, among others. The issue of the CHA not streaming any live games for free, resulting in fans never seeing CHA teams comes up. Iíve seen this comment more than once now.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,477

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    http://pucksandrecreation.com/greate...key-rivalries/

    An article describing the writerís top ten womenís college hockey rivalries. #9 includes Mercyhurst. I tried to guess the opponent before clicking, but got it wrong.
    Clarkson - SLU belongs in the top 10. If you want to talk about post season rivalries, which this article seems to only consider, then maybe Cornell - Clarkson is one but in the Regular Season one of the 10 richest is Clarkson - SLU.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,477

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    The Clarkson - Mercyhurst game can be viewed thru the following link.

    http://clarksonathletics.com/sports/...eel-arena.aspx
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    320

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    http://www.uscho.com/2018/03/07/wedn...final-eight-2/The issue of the CHA not streaming any live games for free, resulting in fans never seeing CHA teams, comes up. I’ve seen this comment more than once now.
    That's a big gripe of mine - no free streaming video of hockey games. What good reason is there for any school not doing free live video of their home games? I know it's all about the money, but if you don't put a little effort into gaining new fans, you're never going to be able to take their money for tickets, concessions, etc, right? It's like those people at a grocery store, handing out samples of this or that...what would you think if they said, "Oh, and the sample will cost you $5 to try it"? You'd keep walking, just like someone does when they think about giving a women's hockey game a look but then see that it will cost them $11 to watch a game.

    I'll use Penn State as an example. The school has video students, broadcasting students, sports media students in general, with big-dollar equipment available, all of that. They're pursuing a degree in this stuff - let them get some real world experience with it. And you get them and the equipment for free, too. And - here it comes again - you just might attract some new fans when you're not trying to fleece them before you've even hooked them.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    35

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    That's a big gripe of mine - no free streaming video of hockey games. What good reason is there for any school not doing free live video of their home games? I know it's all about the money, but if you don't put a little effort into gaining new fans, you're never going to be able to take their money for tickets, concessions, etc, right? It's like those people at a grocery store, handing out samples of this or that...what would you think if they said, "Oh, and the sample will cost you $5 to try it"? You'd keep walking, just like someone does when they think about giving a women's hockey game a look but then see that it will cost them $11 to watch a game.

    I'll use Penn State as an example. The school has video students, broadcasting students, sports media students in general, with big-dollar equipment available, all of that. They're pursuing a degree in this stuff - let them get some real world experience with it. And you get them and the equipment for free, too. And - here it comes again - you just might attract some new fans when you're not trying to fleece them before you've even hooked them.
    When you find that other conferences, teams, etc have free streaming, it's hard to believe that the CHA charges $105 for a season's package. What's harder to believe is the poor quality of the video production (picture, sound quality, no sound at times, no picture even though game has started). What's even HARDER to believe is that they ask you for another $25 to stream the entire Championship Tourney from Buffalo or $12/day. It cost $10 a day to watch live at the RINK.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Clarkson - SLU belongs in the top 10. If you want to talk about post season rivalries, which this article seems to only consider, then maybe Cornell - Clarkson is one but in the Regular Season one of the 10 richest is Clarkson - SLU.
    Yea the author took an angle I wasnít expecting, but his reasoning all makes sense nonetheless. Itís funny that Minnesota Wisconsin is number 1 (makes sense though) given the talk on this board about people being bored by it.

    I can only imagine how great the SLU Clarkson rivalry is. For the longest time I did not know that the schools are only 11 miles apart. Thatís awesome! And I thought Mercyhurst and Robert Morris were close.

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    When you find that other conferences, teams, etc have free streaming, it's hard to believe that the CHA charges $105 for a season's package. What's harder to believe is the poor quality of the video production (picture, sound quality, no sound at times, no picture even though game has started). What's even HARDER to believe is that they ask you for another $25 to stream the entire Championship Tourney from Buffalo or $12/day. It cost $10 a day to watch live at the RINK.
    If they can address any of this stuff, I sure hope they do. Even a few well produced free games per year that people know about would be cool. Just something to showcase the league.

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    35

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Itís a thing they canít really be given credit for because of the final non conf record, but Mercyhurst fought hard through a tough first half schedule. The losses piled up against ranked opponents, but the team eventually broke through against Ohio State and hasnít looked back. Some teams would just break from that first half, and not regroup for a strong second half.

    Having watched a handful of games this year, one memory I have is of Brooke Hartwick in OT against Colgate going end to end, creating offense. On a different play, just before the painful OT loss with one second left, the Lakers had the puck in the corner in Colgateís end and worked it to the front of the net for a great chance. Itís been fun watching this team play to win, even if the desired result hasnít always came. But watching that game, it made me think, if they can get back to a situation like that, they always have a chance.

    So, yeah Sisti (and Goulet and Steadman) for CHA Coach of the Year. Definite case there.

    Good luck to the Lakers in the CHA Championship game today! Itís been fun following along and watching the whole team, not just the stars. Canít wait for Vasko to get her first goal. Her goals keep getting called back or corrected to others. I know itís not the most important thing, especially not today, but come on universe, reward the hard work!
    Great write-up Lindsay ! I didn't copy some of the number crunching you did I truly believe that playing the highly ranked teams at the beginning of the season did help them get stronger. Good luck to the Lakers at Clarkson. David vs Goliath. Mercyhurst should hold their heads high. Great things ahead for this program.

  9. #109
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Yea the author took an angle I wasnít expecting, but his reasoning all makes sense nonetheless. Itís funny that Minnesota Wisconsin is number 1 (makes sense though) given the talk on this board about people being bored by it.

    I can only imagine how great the SLU Clarkson rivalry is. For the longest time I did not know that the schools are only 11 miles apart. Thatís awesome! And I thought Mercyhurst and Robert Morris were close.
    I've been to 8 Frozen Fours, 6 mens and 2 womens. The atmosphere in Hamden was great in 2014 but the best college games I've ever been to was a Clarkson/SLU men's playoff series at Appleton. I stood in line for general admission tickets because it was sold out and had 2nd tier "premium" standing room seats (read as standing on a 5 gallon bucket) but the atmosphere was absolutely awesome, even though we lost both games to the Saints.

    The women's rivalry has grown on the ice and it's starting to show up in the stands too. It used to bring in a couple hundred, but recently we've had numbers approaching and exceeding 1,000.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    240

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Huge day for the Lakers.... gooooooo Lakers!

    I never count this team out. Always proud of the program, and ready to watch a great game today.

  11. #111
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,135

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Good luck plz win

  12. #112
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,449

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Good luck plz win
    Yeah, Mercyhurst and Ohio State played an interesting series this season; it would be fun to see the rematch.

    I don't get why you wish so hard for the assumed easy path every year. If you think you have the best team, go prove it. Don't sit around hoping that you get lucky. We knocked off the higher-seeded Badgers for you two years ago, and that didn't help. Worry about the Buckeyes, the Eagles, and nothing else.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  13. #113
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,135
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I don't get why you wish so hard for the assumed easy path every year.
    I don't know why you have such a hard time grasping the concept that the easier the path, the more likely it is that you win (with no intended disrespect to Mercyhurst).

    Maybe when we have a fistful of titles like your team does I'll be happy to be more picky about how "good" one title is compared to another. In the meantime, I'm rooting for anything that will help our chances.

    EDIT: Apologies. I am a little stressed out.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-10-2018 at 09:56 AM.

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    958

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I don't know why you have such a hard time grasping the concept that the easier the path, the more likely it is that you win (with no intended disrespect to Mercyhurst).

    Maybe when we have a fistful of titles like your team does I'll be happy to be more picky about how "good" one title ia compared to another.

    I'll enjoy this tournament however I **** well please.

    Leading up to a tournament, I fully understand studying the potential brackets and looking for advantages, etc.

    But once 'tourney time' has arrived and it is game day, you're playing a pretty good team who just got done beating another pretty good team. Line up and drop the puck.

    Here's hoping all the games are free of bad penalty calls and unlucky bounces.

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

    EDIT: Apologies. I am a little stressed out.
    Lol, me too. Hockey playoff madness. I just love it.

  16. #116
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,449

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    In the meantime, I'm rooting for anything that will help our chances.
    That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps. Find me a champ from previous years who won because the path was easy. It might advance a team a round, but eventually, the team has to prove that it is the best.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  17. #117
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,135
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps.
    I don't know what to tell you then Į\_(ツ)_/Į

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dayton's Bluff
    Posts
    677

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps. Find me a champ from previous years who won because the path was easy. It might advance a team a round, but eventually, the team has to prove that it is the best.
    I don't mean to increase anyone's anxiety, but 2016 is a good example of what your saying. Minnesota at the end of the season playing North Dakota, Wisconsin twice and a good Princeton team could only have helped get them ready for the final game. Two tough games in a row after a somewhat easy path proved to be too much for "you know who." And in 2013 the final game was almost a relief for Minnesota from their previous few games (thank you Lams for the prep, I guess).
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Be careful of what you wish for?

  19. #119
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,595

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps. Find me a champ from previous years who won because the path was easy. It might advance a team a round, but eventually, the team has to prove that it is the best.
    There were plenty of people in 2014 who said that Clarkson had the "easy" path to the final because UMTC and UW met in the other semi. It wasn't ARM or most of the good folks here but it was said. Eventually though, they still had to take out the Gophers. To their credit, the UMTC fans were quite respectful and didn't blame their loss on having to play the tougher opponent in UW in the semi (although as a realist, I can't imagine it had a little effect).
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

  20. #120
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,449

    Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    There were plenty of people in 2014 who said that Clarkson had the "easy" path to the final because UMTC and UW met in the other semi.
    The 2014 tourney is interesting, in that if Clarkson hadn't played the Lakers, then it would have been Cornell, a team that won 2 of 3 from the Golden Knights. So I can see it if people say that they caught a bit of a break by not having to go through Cornell. But in the end, Clarkson still had the challenge of playing No. 1 and was up to the challenge.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •