Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
    Clarkson - SLU belongs in the top 10. If you want to talk about post season rivalries, which this article seems to only consider, then maybe Cornell - Clarkson is one but in the Regular Season one of the 10 richest is Clarkson - SLU.
    Yea the author took an angle I wasn’t expecting, but his reasoning all makes sense nonetheless. It’s funny that Minnesota Wisconsin is number 1 (makes sense though) given the talk on this board about people being bored by it.

I can only imagine how great the SLU Clarkson rivalry is. For the longest time I did not know that the schools are only 11 miles apart. That’s awesome! And I thought Mercyhurst and Robert Morris were close.

Comment

• Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
      When you find that other conferences, teams, etc have free streaming, it's hard to believe that the CHA charges $105 for a season's package. What's harder to believe is the poor quality of the video production (picture, sound quality, no sound at times, no picture even though game has started). What's even HARDER to believe is that they ask you for another $25 to stream the entire Championship Tourney from Buffalo or $12/day. It cost $10 a day to watch live at the RINK.
      If they can address any of this stuff, I sure hope they do. Even a few well produced free games per year that people know about would be cool. Just something to showcase the league.

Comment

• Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        It’s a thing they can’t really be given credit for because of the final non conf record, but Mercyhurst fought hard through a tough first half schedule. The losses piled up against ranked opponents, but the team eventually broke through against Ohio State and hasn’t looked back. Some teams would just break from that first half, and not regroup for a strong second half.

Having watched a handful of games this year, one memory I have is of Brooke Hartwick in OT against Colgate going end to end, creating offense. On a different play, just before the painful OT loss with one second left, the Lakers had the puck in the corner in Colgate’s end and worked it to the front of the net for a great chance. It’s been fun watching this team play to win, even if the desired result hasn’t always came. But watching that game, it made me think, if they can get back to a situation like that, they always have a chance.

So, yeah Sisti (and Goulet and Steadman) for CHA Coach of the Year. Definite case there.

Good luck to the Lakers in the CHA Championship game today! It’s been fun following along and watching the whole team, not just the stars. Can’t wait for Vasko to get her first goal. Her goals keep getting called back or corrected to others. I know it’s not the most important thing, especially not today, but come on universe, reward the hard work!
        Great write-up Lindsay ! I didn't copy some of the number crunching you did I truly believe that playing the highly ranked teams at the beginning of the season did help them get stronger. Good luck to the Lakers at Clarkson. David vs Goliath. Mercyhurst should hold their heads high. Great things ahead for this program.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          Yea the author took an angle I wasn’t expecting, but his reasoning all makes sense nonetheless. It’s funny that Minnesota Wisconsin is number 1 (makes sense though) given the talk on this board about people being bored by it.

I can only imagine how great the SLU Clarkson rivalry is. For the longest time I did not know that the schools are only 11 miles apart. That’s awesome! And I thought Mercyhurst and Robert Morris were close.
          I've been to 8 Frozen Fours, 6 mens and 2 womens. The atmosphere in Hamden was great in 2014 but the best college games I've ever been to was a Clarkson/SLU men's playoff series at Appleton. I stood in line for general admission tickets because it was sold out and had 2nd tier "premium" standing room seats (read as standing on a 5 gallon bucket) but the atmosphere was absolutely awesome, even though we lost both games to the Saints.

The women's rivalry has grown on the ice and it's starting to show up in the stands too. It used to bring in a couple hundred, but recently we've had numbers approaching and exceeding 1,000.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
          7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Huge day for the Lakers.... gooooooo Lakers!

I never count this team out. Always proud of the program, and ready to watch a great game today.

Comment

Good luck plz win
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Good luck plz win
                Yeah, Mercyhurst and Ohio State played an interesting series this season; it would be fun to see the rematch.

I don't get why you wish so hard for the assumed easy path every year. If you think you have the best team, go prove it. Don't sit around hoping that you get lucky. We knocked off the higher-seeded Badgers for you two years ago, and that didn't help. Worry about the Buckeyes, the Eagles, and nothing else.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I don't get why you wish so hard for the assumed easy path every year.
                  I don't know why you have such a hard time grasping the concept that the easier the path, the more likely it is that you win (with no intended disrespect to Mercyhurst).

Maybe when we have a fistful of titles like your team does I'll be happy to be more picky about how "good" one title is compared to another. In the meantime, I'm rooting for anything that will help our chances.

EDIT: Apologies. I am a little stressed out.
                  Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-10-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I don't know why you have such a hard time grasping the concept that the easier the path, the more likely it is that you win (with no intended disrespect to Mercyhurst).

Maybe when we have a fistful of titles like your team does I'll be happy to be more picky about how "good" one title ia compared to another.

I'll enjoy this tournament however I damn well please.

Leading up to a tournament, I fully understand studying the potential brackets and looking for advantages, etc.

But once 'tourney time' has arrived and it is game day, you're playing a pretty good team who just got done beating another pretty good team. Line up and drop the puck.

Here's hoping all the games are free of bad penalty calls and unlucky bounces.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

EDIT: Apologies. I am a little stressed out.
                      Lol, me too. Hockey playoff madness. I just love it.

Comment

In the meantime, I'm rooting for anything that will help our chances.
                        That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps. Find me a champ from previous years who won because the path was easy. It might advance a team a round, but eventually, the team has to prove that it is the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps.
                          I don't know what to tell you then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            That's my point -- I don't think "easy" helps. Find me a champ from previous years who won because the path was easy. It might advance a team a round, but eventually, the team has to prove that it is the best.
                            I don't mean to increase anyone's anxiety, but 2016 is a good example of what your saying. Minnesota at the end of the season playing North Dakota, Wisconsin twice and a good Princeton team could only have helped get them ready for the final game. Two tough games in a row after a somewhat easy path proved to be too much for "you know who." And in 2013 the final game was almost a relief for Minnesota from their previous few games (thank you Lams for the prep, I guess).
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-10-2018, 11:23 AM. Reason: Be careful of what you wish for?
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              There were plenty of people in 2014 who said that Clarkson had the "easy" path to the final because UMTC and UW met in the other semi. It wasn't ARM or most of the good folks here but it was said. Eventually though, they still had to take out the Gophers. To their credit, the UMTC fans were quite respectful and didn't blame their loss on having to play the tougher opponent in UW in the semi (although as a realist, I can't imagine it had a little effect).
                              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                              7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                                There were plenty of people in 2014 who said that Clarkson had the "easy" path to the final because UMTC and UW met in the other semi.
                                The 2014 tourney is interesting, in that if Clarkson hadn't played the Lakers, then it would have been Cornell, a team that won 2 of 3 from the Golden Knights. So I can see it if people say that they caught a bit of a break by not having to go through Cornell. But in the end, Clarkson still had the challenge of playing No. 1 and was up to the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                                X