Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Mercyhurst starts their season tonight against number 2 ranked Wisconsin. Wanted to get a thread started for the season before the puck drops. Like some other posters, I fear turning into a fan of the programs that have frequent representation here, in the absence of a Laker thread. Can't have that!

So, some thoughts on the Lakers:
    The first 2 weeks of their schedule are non conference battles with Wisconsin and then a home opener vs St Lawrence. Mercyhurst has never beaten Wisconsin, and split with St Lawrence last year.

I figure this is as good a year as any to snag that first W from Wisconsin. Wisconsin is young, and without their Olympians Clark
    And Pankowski. Mercyhurst wants to get last year's losing season behind them, and grab a W as soon as possible, after Lindenwood upset them in the first round of the CHA playoffs last year. Is Mercyhurst the underdog in this series? Oh, no question they are, and deservedly so. Mercyhurst has won as underdogs before though, and in fact a couple upsets will be necessary for them to claw their way back into the rankings. The sooner they get at it the better. I am thinking of the Clarkson series in the fall of 2013 where Mercyhurst took 3 out of 4 points on the road. Hoping they pull off something similar this weekend.

Anything can happen...Go Lakers!

More generally, I am looking forward to following the team as a whole this year. Coverage of women's hockey continues to improve, making following along easier and more fun than in the past for those of us who aren't local to a team.

Anyway, this is not all inclusive but Mercyhurst players to watch are transfers Nuutinen and Tanskanen who had 19 and 7 points respectively at UND last year, Hartwick who led Mercyhurst in points last year with 34, Knott who I think is fresh off the Canada Development Team and a strong freshman season, and Vasko, a freshman with Team Canada U18 experience. Obviously these players will not be the whole story. Sorry for the omission of D, not familiar enough to comment.

At goalie, I have no idea what will happen. McDonnell played 29 games as a freshman and did excellent, winning CHA goaltender of the year, and posting a 7th best in the nation GAA. She stumbled last year along with her teammates. Goaltender duties were split evenly. In the off season, fellow netminder Convery transferred to UMD for her senior year. From UND, Mercyhurst picked up goalie Kennedy Blair, who redshirted last year and still has 4 years eligibility left. My guess is the junior McDonnell gets a game 1 start. I'm sure she's eager to make a case for being the starting goalie, and I don't see Blair getting her first start ever tonight, vs the number 2 ranked team.

Other Laker fans, what say you? Or, keep lurking, I got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Mercyhurst starts their season tonight against number 2 ranked Wisconsin. Wanted to get a thread started for the season before the puck drops. Like some other posters, I fear turning into a fan of the programs that have frequent representation here, in the absence of a Laker thread. Can't have that!
    Welcome Lindsay and Mercyhurst to the board! I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers kick some Badger butt this weekend.

I'm looking forward to Minnesota visiting Erie and taking on Mercyhurst in November. I was visiting the website and could find no evidence of streaming for the games. Will us Gopher fans be able to stream the Mercyhurst v MN games or will we have to fly out and see them in person

Comment

So, some thoughts on the Lakers:
      The first 2 weeks of their schedule are non conference battles with Wisconsin and then a home opener vs St Lawrence. Mercyhurst has never beaten Wisconsin, and split with St Lawrence last year.

I figure this is as good a year as any to snag that first W from Wisconsin. Wisconsin is young, and without their Olympians Clark
      And Pankowski. Mercyhurst wants to get last year's losing season behind them, and grab a W as soon as possible, after Lindenwood upset them in the first round of the CHA playoffs last year. Is Mercyhurst the underdog in this series? Oh, no question they are, and deservedly so. Mercyhurst has won as underdogs before though, and in fact a couple upsets will be necessary for them to claw their way back into the rankings. The sooner they get at it the better. I am thinking of the Clarkson series in the fall of 2013 where Mercyhurst took 3 out of 4 points on the road. Hoping they pull off something similar this weekend.

More generally, I am looking forward to following the team as a whole this year. Coverage of women's hockey continues to improve, making following along easier and more fun than in the past for those of us who aren't local to a team.

Anyway, this is not all inclusive but Mercyhurst players to watch are transfers Nuutinen and Tanskanen who had 19 and 7 points respectively at UND last year, Hartwick who led Mercyhurst in points last year with 34, Knott who I think is fresh off the Canada Development Team and a strong freshman season, and Vasko, a freshman with Team Canada U18 experience. Obviously these players will not be the whole story. Sorry for the omission of D, not familiar enough to comment.

At goalie, I have no idea what will happen. McDonnell played 29 games as a freshman and did excellent, winning CHA goaltender of the year, and posting a 7th best in the nation GAA. She stumbled last year along with her teammates. Goaltender duties were split evenly. In the off season, fellow netminder Convery transferred to UMD for her senior year. From UND, Mercyhurst picked up goalie Kennedy Blair, who redshirted last year and still has 4 years eligibility left. My guess is the junior McDonnell gets a game 1 start. I'm sure she's eager to make a case for being the starting goalie, and I don't see Blair getting her first start ever tonight, vs the number 2 ranked team.

Other Laker fans, what say you? Or, keep lurking, I got this!

Welcome. Not a Laker fan but glad to see another CHA team represented here in the girls forum.

Comment

I will be attending both games this weekend, I will attempt to glean a few tidbits from your perspective, though it will be hard as I am still learning all the new UW players. This would be the year to break the slump against UW as you stated, though historical facts in no way indicate what will happen this year.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Mercyhurst wants to get last year's losing season behind them, and grab a W as soon as possible, after Lindenwood upset them in the first round of the CHA playoffs last year. Is Mercyhurst the underdog in this series? Oh, no question they are, and deservedly so. Mercyhurst has won as underdogs before though, and in fact a couple upsets will be necessary for them to claw their way back into the rankings. The sooner they get at it the better. I am thinking of the Clarkson series in the fall of 2013 where Mercyhurst took 3 out of 4 points on the road. Hoping they pull off something similar this weekend.

It's good to see some renewed enthusiasm for the Lakers, although I don't think that will be enough to topple the BADgers. I see a Wisco sweep (something like 5-0, 4-2).
          Nice to see the optimism!!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/73e806c...a-a69e9643650a

Comment

Haha, BC the enthusiasm was always there, just the thread is new!

Tough loss for the girls tonight; I enjoyed watching them none the less, especially enjoyed watching #14 Tanskanen. Kennedy Blair got the start.

KTDC I think you can stream Mercyhurst home games using this: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/cha/

Comment

Well, Mercyhurst is the best team UW has played so far, more team speed than Lindenwood anyway. Those former sue players (not the goalie) have kept with the sue tradition of playing nasty, knocked Wellhausen out of the game. Another good performance by your team and I'll drop RM and stick Mercyhurst in the poll. They looked better than Robert Morris did in the ncaa's last year, but of course UW had a veteran group of players, so it's not quite a perfect comparo.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Well, Mercyhurst is the best team UW has played so far, more team speed than Lindenwood anyway. Those former sue players (not the goalie) have kept with the sue tradition of playing nasty, knocked Wellhausen out of the game. Another good performance by your team and I'll drop RM and stick Mercyhurst in the poll. They looked better than Robert Morris did in the ncaa's last year, but of course UW had a veteran group of players, so it's not quite a perfect comparo.
                Mercy fans will be glad to hear that. They looked a tad nervous to me. Great 5 on 3 pk by MH; they also had some good scoring chances at different points in the game . Wisconsin is a very good team, they are first on the puck on many, if not all occasions. They also move the puck around very well. Mercy's first game this season so I would say after a few tweaks here and there they will be OK this season. Great video feed on the BTN+ network but kind of annoying to always go to the scoreboard for about 5 seconds as the play resumes after a goal. The box score on the Wisconsin website says roughly 2300 at the game, from the looks of it there was nowhere near that in attendance.
                Last edited by slapshot willy; 09-29-2017, 07:31 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                  The box score on the Wisconsin website says roughly 2300 at the game, from the looks of it there was nowhere near that in attendance.
                  That must have been tickets sold, if there were more than 1200 there I'd be shocked.

Comment

Mercyhurst 2017-2018

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Another good performance by your team and I'll drop RM and stick Mercyhurst in the poll.
                    Now you're talking Timothy!

I hope Wellhausen is not seriously injured, don't like to see anyone get hurt.

Appreciate the feedback from you and Slapshot. I thought there were lots of positives for Mercyhurst to take from the game. They weathered the nerves of the first three minutes, then kind of settled in. The thing about playing as an underdog, I think, is that in addition to playing almost flawless, you need some luck. That goal post in the second period. We needed that to go in.

Kudos to Blair on her first game, especially those first few minutes. What a high bar for your first game, I enjoyed watching her battle and look forward to seeing more.

The feed, yes it was great! But OMG the graphics displays that were playing while the game was in play! Enjoyed seeing the kids dancing in the crowd etc. Wisconsin is fortunate to have such great support.

It's a new day. Let's go Lakers!

Last edited by Lindsay; 09-29-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I'm hoping for a comeback season for my Lakers!!
                      "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                        I'm hoping for a comeback season for my Lakers!!
                        Yea, me too. Welcome back MIC.

Comment

Yesterday's 5-1 loss at Wisconsin wraps up the first series of the year for the Lakers.

Congrats to freshman Summer-Rae Dobson on her first collegiate goal. She scored late in the second period, going backhand shelf, on her own rebound. She was noticeable throughout the game, had another nice play in the third where she corralled a puck near the face off dot to the left of the Wisconsin goalie. Kind of protected the puck, as she was pursued by a Wisconsin D, and then found a Mercyhurst player in front who was somewhat covered but Dobson still got her a puck for a point blank attempt.

Freshman Vasko had a good start in the first, and was making stuff happen. Had a good shift going when she unfortunately got tossed for a hit from behind that looked like nervous energy and good intentions gone bad. The right call by the ref, but it would have been nice to have her all game.

Next up is the home opener vs St. Lawrence, on Friday.

Comment

I was quite impressed with Mercyhurst. The scores don't indicate it, but the Lakers played well. If the Lakers could have killed those first 2 penalties, that game is pretty much a 50 50 game.

You got totally hosed on the 5 minute major last night unless I missed something significant, though I was looking at the play when it happened. The whole reffing crew was bad last night, even the linespeople sucked.

Comment

Yes congrats to SRD for her first ever NCAA goal, an exciting time for sure !! The team played Wisconsin well but need to stay out of the box against good teams like that and generally overall. As for the 5 min and game misconduct on Vasko that was a tough call but can't say if it was the right one as Timothy A has said on this thread and the Wisconsin thread. Looks like the Wisc player turned as the MH approached and contact was made. Stuff happens fast. Let's hope Vasko doesn't have to sit out the home opener in Erie... as Lindsay stated Vasco was having a good game. All around, a good effort by the MH team in a series that must be one heck of a way to open your hockey season. And sorry for putting my post on top of the previous quoted post. A screw up and don't know how to change it.
                              Yesterday's 5-1 loss at Wisconsin wraps up the first series of the year for the Lakers.

Congrats to freshman Summer-Rae Dobson on her first collegiate goal. She scored late in the second period, going backhand shelf, on her own rebound. She was noticeable throughout the game, had another nice play in the third where she corralled a puck near the face off dot to the left of the Wisconsin goalie. Kind of protected the puck, as she was pursued by a Wisconsin D, and then found a Mercyhurst player in front who was somewhat covered but Dobson still got her a puck for a point blank attempt.

Freshman Vasko had a good start in the first, and was making stuff happen. Had a good shift going when she unfortunately got tossed for a hit from behind that looked like nervous energy and good intentions gone bad. The right call by the ref, but it would have been nice to have her all game.

Next up is the home opener vs St. Lawrence, on Friday.

Last edited by slapshot willy; 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X