X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Wonder Woman:

F*ing. Awesome. Capital F. Capital A. The action was great (I regret not seeing that first battle scene on the big screen), the "fish out of water" dialogue was perfect, and the story itself superb. Gal Gadot was indeed the ideal choice for WW. She fit the character like a glove.
    I just watched it again on my ten hour plane ride last week. Just as good on the second viewing!
    Also just saw the original blade runner this week at a theater. I had no expectations so I liked it enough, do want to see the new one

Comment

Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      I just watched it again on my ten hour plane ride last week. Just as good on the second viewing!
      Also just saw the original blade runner this week at a theater. I had no expectations so I liked it enough, do want to see the new one
      I will definitely watch WW again at some point. I had high expectations going in, despite not ever really watching the original show and only knowing the basics of her story. After watching it, my expectations might have been rather low, and that's saying something, especially for a comic book movie.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Bitcoin Heist:

Cops track down a master thief that launders/steals bitcoins. Vietnamese movie, so some stuff it way over the top. Basically a cops' side of Ocean's Eleven. Intricate plan to catch thief, twists, turns, more twists. It's decent if you have some patience.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Bitcoin Heist:

Cops track down a master thief that launders/steals bitcoins. Vietnamese movie, so some stuff it way over the top. Basically a cops' side of Ocean's Eleven. Intricate plan to catch thief, twists, turns, more twists. It's decent if you have some patience.
          pleasepleasepleaseplease tell mookie there is nooditee
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            pleasepleasepleaseplease tell mookie there is nooditee
            No, but the ladies in the movie are quite attractive.

Comment

Tickets for The Last Jedi go on sale tomorrow.

Comment

Bladerunner, despite great reviews pretty much tanked. $80 million WW opening on a $150 million budget. $31 million domestically...

That's too bad cause everyone who sees it loves it.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Bladerunner, despite great reviews pretty much tanked. $80 million WW opening on a $150 million budget. $31 million domestically...

Makes sense. It's still not a movie for a general audience.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Didn't the original flop when it was released? Seems like maybe it's following the same pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                      Didn't the original flop when it was released? Seems like maybe it's following the same pattern.
                      I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure if my memory was correct. I don't think it was a blockbuster, but don't think it was a flop either. Just average box office. Too cerebral.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Bladerunner 2049. A-.

Spoilers:
                        Little reason for Deckard to be in this movie except Harrison Ford hype and fan service. Ford was dull.

No reason for the character of Wallace to exist at all. It added nothing.

Luv was a far more compelling character and it would have been great to have had the movie be a chess match between her and Madam moving Joe as the single piece. All the women in the movie, even hologram magic pixie girl, were excellent.

Gosling did an excellent job playing quiet. His one outburst scene was jarring and unconvincing.

The movie needed very few action sequences at all, but at least they were incidental. The climactic action sequence wasn't.

The baby plot line is typically a sign of writer desperation, but here it was forgivable and potentially interesting. They did very little with it, though Ana herself is a fantastic character. The realization of the key line, "yes, this is someone's memory," made me sit bolt upright in the theater. That was plot / dialog / acting at its best, and a truly beautiful and haunting moment.

Lots of deft little touches and homages throughout.

Nice for Gaff to get his cameo. Yay, Admiral Adama!

The Carrie Fisherization of Sean Young was ludicrous and gratuitous.

The movie handed most of the plot to the audience so in that sense it was dumbed down, but the real action is between the lines in the themes of being, consciousness, and humanness, at the many levels: hologram, obedient Nexus, old Nexus, professional role human, regular human, crazy as-s human, with Ana floating above them on some other dimension.

They didn't ruin it, and that was my fear. The first half of the movie is quite good. From the moment of Ford's entry it goes into a sharp decline, not entirely due to him.

Please don't make part 3 for another 35 years.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 10-09-2017, 06:37 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ice Guardians:

Documentary that interviews players, doctors, professors, etc about the role of the enforcer in hockey. Covers all aspects, even down to personal lives, that enforcers deal with. I thought it was very well done.

Comment

So....Star Wars trailer. Quick thoughts: if Ren's statement is to be taken literally he'll kill Leia. If not....I think Ren turns to the light and either Rey or Luke turn to the dark side.

Possible: Luke turns to attempt to save Ren.

As for Blade Runner 2049. What a great slow burn of a movie. They could have gotten more out of Ford but they didn't seem to know how to write the story to include a need for him. Ah well... overall I give it an A. It can stand alone.

I just hope they don't make a sequel based on a replicant revolt.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              I just hope they don't make a sequel based on a replicant revolt.
                              That would be awful. io9 thinks the bad opening killed whatever small chance there was of a cash dive 3, thank god.

I would like to see, in another 30 years, if I live long enough, and Ford doesn't, a prequel about Tyrell's early attempts. But I guess we are seeing it.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                That would be awful. io9 thinks the bad opening killed whatever small chance there was of a cash dive 3, thank god.

I would like to see, in another 30 years, if I live long enough, and Ford doesn't, a prequel about Tyrell's early attempts. But I guess we are seeing it.
                                Yeah, not looking good for Ridley Scott furthering this series and quite possibly Alien either which I'm bummed about. At least he poses good philosophical questions and forces the viewer to think. Yield in the director's chair to villeneuve was a good decision but I guess America wants more bull**** fast and furious fare.

i haven't seen that trailer you reference, looks like Walton Goggans who was great in Jusified.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X