X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    No they didnt buy FS1, FS2 Big Ten or Fox News. I am pretty sure they couldnt or they would run into issues in Federal Court. I know Big Ten would have caused issues since ESPN has the rights to Big Ten games not on BTN.

This is definitely going to hurt regional broadcasts though and my guess is hockey takes it in the shorts even harder now. (The Mouse is all in on basketball)

On top of that though I just see this as bad for movies in general. Whats next, after ATT buys Warners they then go after CBS/Viacom? Is NBC/Universal/Comcast gonna merge with Sony? This is getting out of control and they will completely control the marketplace.
    So, they bought all the Fox Regional Networks but not Fox Sports? Weird. Why would Fox Sports sell off their regional stuff and not the whole enchilada?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      So, they bought all the Fox Regional Networks but not Fox Sports? Weird. Why would Fox Sports sell off their regional stuff and not the whole enchilada?
      I am guessing they couldnt. It probably strayed too close to a monopoly and would give Disney too much bargaining power over the cable networks when it comes to sports broadcasting. Plus Fox needs to keep something out of the deal besides Faux News.

Remember currently The Trumpers are trying to block the ATT/Time Warner merger and this deal is going to be massive even just having the studios/tv merge. If this deal is too much they risk it falling through as well.

Also of note, Disney will own a controlling stock in Hulu...which means that will most likely be spun into the new Disney Streaming station.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I am guessing they couldnt. It probably strayed too close to a monopoly and would give Disney too much bargaining power over the cable networks when it comes to sports broadcasting. Plus Fox needs to keep something out of the deal besides Faux News.

Remember currently The Trumpers are trying to block the ATT/Time Warner merger and this deal is going to be massive even just having the studios/tv merge. If this deal is too much they risk it falling through as well.

Also of note, Disney will own a controlling stock in Hulu...which means that will most likely be spun into the new Disney Streaming station.
        So, since Fox Sports still exists Fox Sports North will become some other name under Disney I'm guessing?
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So, since Fox Sports still exists Fox Sports North will become some other name under Disney I'm guessing?
          It would seem. My guess, and this is just because I find Disney branding to be rather weak, they will just flip it to ESPN Regional or ESPN Midwest. Just like when Fox bought out the regional networks like MSC and rebranded them "FSN".

If I was The Wild or any other hockey team I would be looking to get find a new home ASAP because ABC/ESPN doesnt care anything for hockey unless it is the Mighty Ducks on Disney Channel :/ Gopher Hockey on BTN is going to go from reviled by the GPL crowd to beloved within a few years cause that will be the only network showing them.

But hey Scooby, at least your universes will merge so I am excited for you fans for that. (my buddy is pumped) Since one of the things I prefer about the X-Men films is how different they are from MCU films it sucks for me but I am also in the major minority so I am happy for everyone else.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It would seem. My guess, and this is just because I find Disney branding to be rather weak, they will just flip it to ESPN Regional or ESPN Midwest. Just like when Fox bought out the regional networks like MSC and rebranded them "FSN".

If I was The Wild or any other hockey team I would be looking to get find a new home ASAP because ABC/ESPN doesnt care anything for hockey unless it is the Mighty Ducks on Disney Channel :/

But hey Scooby, at least your universes will merge so I am excited for you fans for that. (my buddy is pumped) Since one of the things I prefer about the X-Men films is how different they are from MCU films it sucks for me but I am also in the major minority so I am happy for everyone else.
            Not sure it mattered much to me. I was happier when Marvel was going to use The Inhumans to destroy the X-Men. Then they instead made The Inhumans their DC characters and utterly destroyed them.

As long as Wolverine is the face of the X-Men I will always hate them. Wolverine is the dullest character ever. Unfortunately there are some things I do love about the X-Men. Like the original team. Jean Grey, Phoenix, Binary, and Nightcrawler. Gambit. So, I can't throw them all out. I just hate Wolverine with the heat of a thousand suns.

Comment

Not sure it mattered much to me. I was happier when Marvel was going to use The Inhumans to destroy the X-Men. Then they instead made The Inhumans their DC characters and utterly destroyed them.

As long as Wolverine is the face of the X-Men I will always hate them. Wolverine is the dullest character ever. Unfortunately there are some things I do love about the X-Men. Like the original team. Jean Grey, Phoenix, Binary, and Nightcrawler. Gambit. So, I can't throw them all out. I just hate Wolverine with the heat of a thousand suns.
              Hehe...I knew I liked you
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I thought Logan was Wolverine's curtain call and Jackman is mercifully being sent to the glue factory? They played it for all the overheated pathos they could squeeze out of it but now it should be played out and they should be promoting other characters and stories.

Remember too: they needed to usher in the age of this new cash cow the comic book movie, so they did it with drecky, lazy themes that appeal to adolescents -- the doomed hero, the mawkish Knight Errant -- old wine that Hollywood is always decanting into new bottles from epics to war movies to noir to counter culture to ordinary people dramas to snotty vocal fry millenials. It's all the the same crap when you get a genre started.

THEN, after establishment, you get a wave of reaction and elaboration. The writing gets more original and smarter and the formulaic plots and characters start to open up. In a word, a subgenre develops worth viewing by smart people.

I assume now that we are nearly through the initial horrible phase of comic book movies that we are going to get some really good, thoughtful ones. There will still be a ton of swill for the masses, but it won't all be that anymore. Heck, we already got Deadpool as an appetizer.
                Last edited by Kepler; 12-14-2017, 10:52 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I thought that last movie was Wolverine's curtain call? They played it for all the overheated pathos they could squeeze out of it but now it should be played out and they should be promoting other characters and stories.

Remember too: they needed to usher in the age of this new cash cow the comic book movie, so they did it with familiar, drecky themes (the doomed hero, the mawkish Knight Errant, old wine that Hollywood is always decanting into new bottles from epics to war movies to noir to counter culture to ordinary people dramas to snotty vocal fry millenials. it's all the the same crap when you get a genre started.

THEN, after establishment, you get a wave of reaction and elaboration. The writing gets more original and smarter and the formulaic plots and characters start to open up. In a word, a subgenre develops worth viewing by smart people.

I assume now that we are nearly through the initial horrible phase of comic book movies that we are going to get some really good, thoughtful ones. There will still be a ton of swill for the masses, but it won't all be that anymore. Heck, we already got Deadpool as an appetizer.
                  Now that Disney is taking over is gives them the perfect opportunity to reboot everything and start with Wolverine all over again. Remember the current FOX product is NOT MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) because Marvel did not have creative control over it.

EDIT: Only good thing I see is if they do end up doing the Phoenix Saga next it'll be done right this time instead of having FOX screw it up.
                  Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 12-14-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Now that Disney is taking over is gives them the perfect opportunity to reboot everything and start with Wolverine all over again. Remember the current FOX product is NOT MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) because Marvel did not have creative control over it.
                    Disney isn't stupid, though. Look at their animation: while they have been telling ONE story for 75 years, they have bent it back upon itself so many times they produce Masamune swords now. Those movies are not good, they are great, and they work for everyone from an 8-year old to a Mrs. Average Homemaker to a film studies PhD. Disney's problems, which are legion and which will no doubt someday engulf the entire cosmos, do not include quality: their work is outstanding, beautiful, thoughtful, not cloying despite the obvious tight rope walk over that chasm, and always highly original within the form. They're like Racine, constantly elaborating within the strict rules of the three unities.

I can't think of a better recipe for artistic, brilliant comic book movies.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

EDIT: Only good thing I see is if they do end up doing the Phoenix Saga next it'll be done right this time instead of having FOX screw it up.
                      I dont think your last point is true...since it already started production. (they have already been releasing production shots) Unless they plan to delay it that movie is going forward with the Kilburg script. My guess is Disney will have input but not much else unless something goes majorly wrong.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You know that's coming out next year, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Dark_Phoenix

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I can't think of a better recipe for artistic, brilliant comic book movies.
                          Sounds boring as hell to me...
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Like the original team. Jean Grey, Phoenix, Binary, and Nightcrawler. Gambit.
                            The teenage nerd in me in screaming angrily at this.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              You know that's coming out next year, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Dark_Phoenix
                              I knew they were working on it. We'll see how bad it is when it comes out.

Comment

I dont think your last point is true...since it already started production. (they have already been releasing production shots) Unless they plan to delay it that movie is going forward with the Kilburg script. My guess is Disney will have input but not much else unless something goes majorly wrong.
                                I didn't realize it was this far along. I don't follow Fox/X-Men at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X