X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Agreed, Bladerunner is great. The fact Ford is in the sequel should end the argument as to whether Dekkard was a replicant obviously.
    I loved the ambiguity. But as a friend of mine remarked, "if he's not how can you explain the unicorn?" The only explanation is coincidence, which is weak.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      What would be REALLY cool is to see an old B&W movie, maybe a double feature, complete with the newsreels they played at the time. Public Enemy, Scarface, She Done Him Wrong, etc.
      Years ago, there was a traveling production of Napoleon (1927 French, both B&W and silent) that was shown on three screens at once that had a live orchestra with a score by Carmine Coppola. Amazing experience. I saw it at the Chicago Theater as mentioned below.

From Roger Ebert, 1981:

The story of "Napoleon" and Carmine Coppola has become one of the best movie stories in years. The movie originally had a running time of more than four hours, but after its 1927 premiere it was never shown in the original version. Its director, Abel Gance, supervised various reconstructions and shorter versions of the footage, but the myth of the original epic film never died.

Film historian Kevin Brownlow plundered the film archives of Europe for all the "Napoleon" footage he could find and made some lucky discoveries of scenes that were thought to be completely lost. Then he rebuilt "Napoleon" into a reasonable facsimile of its original version, complete with the famous three-screen, hand-tinted triptych that ended it - an effect that anticipated Cinerama.

This version played to great acclaim at various small film festivals, and then movie director Francis Ford Coppola got the idea of presenting it properly, with a full orchestral score. He commissioned his 71-year-old father, Carmine, to compose the score, and in January the Coppolas presented "Napoleon" in Radio City Music Hall with Carmine conducting the American Symphony Orchestra.

"We hoped to play one weekend and maybe break even and pay for printing the scores," Carmine Coppola remembered. "We had to extend for three weekends. We have been totally sold out. You're talking about a $25 top price."

The story is much the same here in Chicago, where "Napoleon" opens Thursday at the grand old Chicago Theater, a landmark movie palace that opened six years before "Napoleon" did. Carmine Coppola will be in the pit conducting a 60-piece orchestra and the theater's own restored original Mighty Wurlitzer organ.
      The movie itself was really good, and in the setting described above, absolutely fantastic!
      Last edited by FreshFish; 09-28-2017, 10:25 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Agreed, Bladerunner is great. The fact Ford is in the sequel should end the argument as to whether Dekkard was a replicant obviously.

I enjoyed the book but the movie is better. Same with Minority Report.
        I thought I read the director or writer said in an interview years ago that Dekkard was a replicant at least for the purposes of the story he was making.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Years ago, there was a traveling production of Napoleon (1927 French, both B&W and silent) that was shown on three screens at once that had a live orchestra with a score by Carmine Coppola. Amazing experience. I saw it at the Chicago Theater as mentioned below.
          That is Abel Gance, right? That would be so wonderful.

The snowball fight is one of my favorite scenes in all movies. There are special effects in that movie the impact of which have still never been matched, all done with 20s tech.

Fun fact: the original intended runtime of the Napolean Cycle was 36 hours.
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-28-2017, 10:55 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

fwiw in an interview Ford said he believed he was human. He might have just been playing coy but he said sans smirk.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              fwiw in an interview Ford said he believed he was human. He might have just been playing coy but he said sans smirk.
              I doubt Ford even understands the question. He was very pretty and he had 2 or 3 dramatic signature moves. But I'm not going to listen to his commentary on the Director's Cut. He's the Joe Morgan of movies.
              Cornell University

Comment

Over a week, watched episodes 1-4 of The Vietnam War, & then Apocalypse Now Redux. It made the movie worse, or maybe just more real and frustrating. Anyway, less enjoyable somehow when it's less a fable and more a mirror.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I loved the ambiguity. But as a friend of mine remarked, "if he's not how can you explain the unicorn?" The only explanation is coincidence, which is weak.
                  That's true. I love Ridley Scott movies generally but I think he was almost too in love with the idea of Dekkard as replicant and because of that we have the incongruity between his dream and almos' character leaving the origami unicorn and the reality that Dekkard is human but maybe becoming LIKE a replicant in terms of his cold/aloof demeanor while batty became more human at the end in allowing Dekkard to live.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Buster's Mal Heart:

A family man's chance encounter with a conspiracy-obsessed drifter leaves him on the run from the police and an impending event known as The Inversion.

There is a part in the movie where it blatantly rips-off another well-known movie, I won't spoil it. However, other than that, I thought the movie was well done. Totally a mental drama/character study type of movie. It's a thinker. Would recommend.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That's true. I love Ridley Scott movies generally but I think he was almost too in love with the idea of Dekkard as replicant and because of that we have the incongruity between his dream and almos' character leaving the origami unicorn and the reality that Dekkard is human but maybe becoming LIKE a replicant in terms of his cold/aloof demeanor while batty became more human at the end in allowing Dekkard to live.
                      There were many ways for it to go, which is why I preferred they leave it open ended. I like loose ends.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Dr. Strange was very good. Bizarre and sometimes disorienting but good.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Dr. Strange was very good. Bizarre and sometimes disorienting but good.
                          So Doctor Strange was strange...

Comment

Pirates of the Clones: Vertical Limit

Holy FSM has this series gone full Star Wars prequels, and worst of all it's self-aware of it. There were a couple of scenes that sort of recaptured the magic of the first movie, but otherwise yuck. Shame, as it was a waste of Javier Bardem and Geoffrey Rush (though I'm sure they're counting their money and laughing on their way to the bank). And the big climax was a total ripoff of a marginally better bad action movie.

Comment

Battle of the Sexes. Fantastic film and performances. Loved it
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Kingsman 2 won the weekend by only $32,000. Don't feel bad for the It gang though. Now the highest-grossing horror movie both domestic and internationally, the film just passed Empire Strikes Back. American Made finished #3 a whole $139,000 out of first.

American Made was good, but entirely fluff. Basically cotton candy. Sure it tastes good, but there's absolutely no substance there.

Comment

Working...
                                X