Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    fwiw in an interview Ford said he believed he was human. He might have just been playing coy but he said sans smirk.
    I doubt Ford even understands the question. He was very pretty and he had 2 or 3 dramatic signature moves. But I'm not going to listen to his commentary on the Director's Cut. He's the Joe Morgan of movies.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Inspired by Actual Events

Over a week, watched episodes 1-4 of The Vietnam War, & then Apocalypse Now Redux. It made the movie worse, or maybe just more real and frustrating. Anyway, less enjoyable somehow when it's less a fable and more a mirror.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I loved the ambiguity. But as a friend of mine remarked, "if he's not how can you explain the unicorn?" The only explanation is coincidence, which is weak.
    That's true. I love Ridley Scott movies generally but I think he was almost too in love with the idea of Dekkard as replicant and because of that we have the incongruity between his dream and almos' character leaving the origami unicorn and the reality that Dekkard is human but maybe becoming LIKE a replicant in terms of his cold/aloof demeanor while batty became more human at the end in allowing Dekkard to live.

Buster's Mal Heart:

A family man's chance encounter with a conspiracy-obsessed drifter leaves him on the run from the police and an impending event known as The Inversion.

There is a part in the movie where it blatantly rips-off another well-known movie, I won't spoil it. However, other than that, I thought the movie was well done. Totally a mental drama/character study type of movie. It's a thinker. Would recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    That's true. I love Ridley Scott movies generally but I think he was almost too in love with the idea of Dekkard as replicant and because of that we have the incongruity between his dream and almos' character leaving the origami unicorn and the reality that Dekkard is human but maybe becoming LIKE a replicant in terms of his cold/aloof demeanor while batty became more human at the end in allowing Dekkard to live.
    There were many ways for it to go, which is why I preferred they leave it open ended. I like loose ends.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Lucia Apologist

Dr. Strange was very good. Bizarre and sometimes disorienting but good.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Dr. Strange was very good. Bizarre and sometimes disorienting but good.
    So Doctor Strange was strange...

Pirates of the Clones: Vertical Limit

Holy FSM has this series gone full Star Wars prequels, and worst of all it's self-aware of it. There were a couple of scenes that sort of recaptured the magic of the first movie, but otherwise yuck. Shame, as it was a waste of Javier Bardem and Geoffrey Rush (though I'm sure they're counting their money and laughing on their way to the bank). And the big climax was a total ripoff of a marginally better bad action movie.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Battle of the Sexes. Fantastic film and performances. Loved it

Kingsman 2 won the weekend by only $32,000. Don't feel bad for the It gang though. Now the highest-grossing horror movie both domestic and internationally, the film just passed Empire Strikes Back. American Made finished #3 a whole $139,000 out of first.

American Made was good, but entirely fluff. Basically cotton candy. Sure it tastes good, but there's absolutely no substance there.

Office Christmas Party:

To save his branch from his uptight b*ch sister, a guy tosses an epic Christmas party. Sophomoric, redonkulous, Old School style humor, etc. And I liked every minute of it. Just mindless fun. I'd go into this blind with no previews, it's much more fun that way.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

88 Minutes:

Story was great. Bad acting, worse dialogue. A time-killer at best.

War Machine, Netflix, Brad Pitt.

Was trying to avoid this, but gave it a whirl. Pitt is pretty mediocre...but its a fun, funny movie. Worth a cold fall evening.
    Go Gophers!

there's a good buck in that racket.

just saw The Foreigner

completely different character for jackie, as far as different when he is kicking the crap outta everyone. thought he did very well in that and enjoyed it. final scene was kinda 'eh', almost like an afterthought "hey, we need something here..." put in. but didn't take that much away from it.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

lubba wubba dub dub

For those of you going to see the new Bladerunner, don't be taken too much by surprise that Harrison Ford appears only in the last half. I know nothing more than that about his character because that's all the reviewer was saying. The only reason he said that is that he kept waiting for Ford to show, based upon the previews, and it took him out of the storytelling experience. I think he said the same of Jared Leto's character.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Well Dekkard is in hiding so it makes sense he wouldnt show up for a while. At least it isnt like Bryan Cranston in Godzilla where is only in the first half hour yet got top billing
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    At least it isnt like Bryan Cranston in Godzilla where is only in the first half hour yet got top billing
    The real ripoff in that instance was it was a throwaway character in a cliche situation and any potted plant could have played him. There was no reason at all to have Cranston, or any hot name, play it except exploiting the audience. It wasn't like, say, Baldwin in Glengarry, where he plays a peculiar character perfectly and the movie would have been poorer without him. (Or this, possibly the greatest acting performance in movie history.)
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-06-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Yeah any no talent hack could have played that part...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Blade Runner 2049. Not only does it do the original justice (even surpass it) it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I cannot recall the last movie that was made like this one and I wonder how many people will actually appreciate all that it offers. It's subtle in all the right places, brilliantly stated, there are frequently used 80's like bursts of loud synth music for effect that incredibly add to the tension, I thought the CGI was well crafted, there's great dialog (although I thought Leto was a bit hammy), and it's absolutely visually stunning. Cannot recommend this one enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Blade Runner 2049. Not only does it do the original justice (even surpass it) it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I cannot recall the last movie that was made like this one and I wonder how many people will actually appreciate all that it offers. It's subtle in all the right places, brilliantly stated, there are frequently used 80's like bursts of loud synth music for effect that incredibly add to the tension, I thought the CGI was well crafted, there's great dialog (although I thought Leto was a bit hammy), and it's absolutely visually stunning. Cannot recommend this one enough.
    Woot! I can't wait, going tomorrow night.

Thread Information