This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Well if Ewoks annoy people that much there are way more annoying plot devices and holes. You can either ignore them or not.

I find the ineptitude of the Stormtroopers and Vader becoming a whiny biotch to be more annoying than Ewoks. Oh and The Emperor...a man who was brilliant enough to control a galaxy, becoming a bond villain

I still enjoy ROTJ though
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      I thought Attack of the Clowns was the worst of the bunch, except for Obi-wan's visit to Pamino there was no point to that movie at all. F- for me for that one.

I guess I'm in a minority in giving The Phantom Menace a C-; I think people's revulsion over Jar-Jar Binks masked a great villain in Darth Maul and some other fine touches. I actually thought it was the best of I-III though that isn't saying much since all three of them were so lame.
      Ten years ago I would have said AotC was a clear step-up from TPM. But now I don't know. Don't get me wrong, TPM is definitely not good, but I think it became such a punchline that it was easy at first to overlook the badness of AotC. I mean, TPM had its list of problems (Jar Jar being the largest, but still wooden acting and bleh dialogue) and I have no interest in seeing it again when on TV, but it's problems could also be somewhat attributed to the fact they hadn't done it in 15 years and with the expectations on it they made a lot of regrettable choices in how the movie eventually ended up. With AotC, though, it almost feels worse that they knew the problems with TPM and somehow only made it worse. The dialogue was far worse (and now they had a lot more at stake trying to write a romance, whereas TPM only had to write about embargos). The acting was worse; with the crap they got for TPM they couldn't do better with Hayden Christensen? Even the actiony parts feel almost as empty, if not emptier, than those in TPM.

So while both are bad, it feels like TPM has some excuses whereas AotC has none.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Well if Ewoks annoy people that much there are way more annoying plot devices and holes. You can either ignore them or not.

I find the ineptitude of the Stormtroopers and Vader becoming a whiny biotch to be more annoying than Ewoks. Oh and The Emperor...a man who was brilliant enough to control a galaxy, becoming a bond villain

I still enjoy ROTJ though
        I attribute most of that to "the Empire was overconfident" and that pretty much explains any plothole away. Then you just sit back and enjoy the Sarlac pit and the hoverbikes.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          I think people's revulsion over Jar-Jar Binks
          JJB wasn't my issue with Ep. I -- that was no worse children's fan service than the ewoks.

The problem was George Lucas' Muppet Babies. The whole f-cking original story of Anakin and Padme is so demeaning it's a kick right in the franchise groin, as if Spielberg broke into the trailer and edited the film based on suggestions by Harrison Ford and Melissa Mathison.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            I attribute most of that to "the Empire was overconfident" and that pretty much explains any plothole away. Then you just sit back and enjoy the Sarlac pit and the hoverbikes.
            The Emperor was so dumb he didnt even realize Vader was going to turn on him...even though he said Luke was gonna try to turn him, he felt the conflict and then tortured Luke right in front of him. I mean there is overconfidence and then there is "Durr...I am just going to ignore everything I know cause...reasons )

See also: The Jedi in the Prequels. How friggin dumb were these clowns.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The Emperor was so dumb he didnt even realize Vader was going to turn on him...even though he said Luke was gonna try to turn him, he felt the conflict and then tortured Luke right in front of him. I mean there is overconfidence and then there is "Durr...I am just going to ignore everything I know cause...reasons )

See also: The Jedi in the Prequels. How friggin dumb were these clowns.
              It works as a plot device but not well as a logic device. All of it has to happen for the story but it makes them looks stupid. Same sort of thing happens in Episode 8 in a couple of places and people are nuts about it.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                It works as a plot device but not well as a logic device. All of it has to happen for the story but it makes them looks stupid. Same sort of thing happens in Episode 8 in a couple of places and people are nuts about it.
                Right and see I can ignore all that stuff so it doesnt bug me. (I usually laugh at it because they thought about so much of the details and weird stuff slips by) But too many people spend too much time on Youtube watching crap like "Cinema Sins" or other sites that like to nitpick stuff to death so they can sound really smart while talking other other like minded people. These clowns tend to overuse jargon (everything is "stylized" with "filters" and they misuse pathos a lot, they often say "dark and gritty" and talk about "showing not telling" ) and email nerd podcasts/videocasts to rail about how Han Shot first and why Boba Fett didnt die in the Sarlaac Pit.

I of course have seen women naked so this crap is lost on me
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Right and see I can ignore all that stuff so it doesnt bug me. (I usually laugh at it because they thought about so much of the details and weird stuff slips by) But too many people spend too much time on Youtube watching crap like "Cinema Sins" or other sites that like to nitpick stuff to death so they can sound really smart while talking other other like minded people. These clowns tend to overuse jargon (everything is "stylized" with "filters" and they misuse pathos a lot, they often say "dark and gritty" and talk about "showing not telling" ) and email nerd podcasts/videocasts to rail about how Han Shot first and why Boba Fett didnt die in the Sarlaac Pit.

I'm not at that level. I'd rather enjoy it for what it is. Guy here at the office is losing his mind over what he saw last night. I tried to talk him off the ledge and explain everything to him in simple terms for moviegoers and he would have none of it.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You sure seem to know a lot about this underground movement...

Comment

Paying strippers an extra premium doesn't count, Handy.
                      board gonna board.

Comment

Anyone that gives 7 more than a B- either never saw 4-6 first, didn't understand them, and/or are a Justin Bieber groupie in waiting ready to succumb to his every desire.

Seeing 8 in about 9 hours and can't wait.

Comment

I have tickets to go see VIII tomorrow at noon:30 with the fiancée. I'm expecting to like it, but curious about the Rotten Tomatoes score - 93% fresh, but only 62% of the audience would recommend it when I last checked early this morning. Odd. Something tells me the snobs are afoot.
                          board gonna board.

Comment

Originally posted by RickSanchez View Post
                            I have tickets to go see VIII tomorrow at noon:30 with the fiancée. I'm expecting to like it, but curious about the Rotten Tomatoes score - 93% fresh, but only 62% of the audience would recommend it when I last checked early this morning. Odd. Something tells me the snobs are afoot.
                            Pretty easy to explain. It's different. Everyone whined when VII was "A New Hope" and now everyone's whining that VII isn't "Empire". No one is ever happy.

Comment

Originally posted by RickSanchez View Post
                              As I just posted on the other thread, don't pay attention to the audience scores on sites like RT. It is way too easy to manipulate the data and skew results. Just look at the number of 1 votes The Godfather gets on IMDB. Maybe some people don't like it because of violence or stereotypes or something else, but in no way is it among the worst films ever made. Everyone is going to come away with different thoughts. Think about Empire...whole sequences are of a teenager wearing a talking green puppet like a backpack. Audiences could have laughed at that idea, but it worked for almost every person who saw the film.

Comment

The critic score on RT is all that ever matters. The audience score is a joke and most likely wholesale hacked.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X