This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Comic book movie after comic book movie after comic book movie. Just a whole bunch of crap I have no interest in ever watching, because I'm not a teenager.
    They're not for teens. Watch Captain America Civil War or Dark Knight.

Read The Killing Joke or The Long Halloween.

Saying cbm's are for teens is akin to saying Jim Henson wrote the muppets for 7 years olds. Try watching now, a whole lot of adult humor there.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      They're not for teens. Watch Captain America Civil War or Dark Knight.

Read The Killing Joke or The Long Halloween.

Saying cbm's are for teens is akin to saying Jim Henson wrote the muppets for 7 years olds. Try watching now, a whole lot of adult humor there.
      They're for adolescents. The tropes and the deeper meanings, particularly the darker ones, turn the cranks of teenage males. Honor. Lone Suffering. Anomie. Disillusionment. These are the arrows in the quiver of every navel-gazing 16 year old boy. Which explains why the heroes of the genre -- the Frank Millers and Alan Moores -- are themselves frozen psychological adolescents in real life.

Mature people realize that life is complicated and these overheated "heroic age" Great Truths are just conceits and poses. Comic book movies live in the world of those poses -- they are entertaining as a way to reach back to childhood and remember all the colors and the drama. They are about our nostalgia for childhood when villains were the worst thing we could imagine.

Real evil doesn't come from villains; it doesn't even come from inside as the long, dark teatime of the soul (itself the conceit of the Romantic Era). Evil is banality. That doesn't make for a good story.
      Last edited by Kepler; 02-16-2018, 11:34 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

huh?

mookie didn't see the bad guy in black panther as evil. not even close.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

uncle drew isn't a comic book, right?

mookie will see that.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            They're for adolescents. The tropes and the deeper meanings, particularly the darker ones, turn the cranks of teenage males. Honor. Lone Suffering. Anomie. Disillusionment. These are the arrows in the quiver of every navel-gazing 16 year old boy. Which explains why the heroes of the genre -- the Frank Millers and Alan Moores -- are themselves frozen psychological adolescents in real life.

Mature people realize that life is complicated and these overheated "heroic age" Great Truths are just conceits and poses. Comic book movies live in the world of those poses -- they are entertaining as a way to reach back to childhood and remember all the colors and the drama. They are about our nostalgia for childhood when villains were the worst thing we could imagine.

Real evil doesn't come from villains; it doesn't even come from inside as the long, dark teatime of the soul (itself the conceit of the Romantic Era). Evil is banality. That doesn't make for a good story.
            Sorry but this is a ridiculously simplistic way to look at all of this. And the fact that you name Alan Moore and Frank Miller (2 guys who havent done anything of value since the late 1980s especially Moore who is a misogynistic weasel that borders on pedophillia ) shows you arent as learned on the subject as you think you are.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Sigh.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Sorry but this is a ridiculously simplistic way to look at all of this. And the fact that you name Alan Moore and Frank Miller (2 guys who havent done anything of value since the late 1980s especially Moore who is a misogynistic weasel that borders on pedophillia ) shows you arent as learned on the subject as you think you are.
                I'm judging by the sh-t at the theater.

But I am sure the comic books you love are the exception and show only the highest and most subtle appreciation of a full human experience.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

But I am sure the comic books you love are the exception and show only the highest and most subtle appreciation of a full human experience.
                  The bad guys in many comic books tend to simply be evil McGuffins, setting up the parable of whatever story they're telling. Often that's lost in the movie versions, or completely altered for a simpler story - not that they're overly complex in the first place.

Thinking of stories that have become movies, The X-Men started as an anti-bigotry story during the times of the Civil Rights movement. Alan Moore's The Watchmen was twofold; first, it was about the perils and fear that created certain untenable situations surrounding nuclear war, and also unchecked authoritarian power. Spider-Man was simply relating teen fear and a certain amount of whimsy.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

They do as much as any movie you love or any book that has been written in the past 200 years. (and not nearly as verbose and heavy handed) Just because it may have a character in it dressed in a costume doesnt change that. It isnt like literary characters dont wear costumes

Most of the better comic book stories arent made into movies because they require people to think, and even when they are they are adapted in ways that change the story. (V for Vendetta or Watchmen for example) Arguably the best Iron Man story is "Demon in a Bottle" where he goes into full blown alcoholism and has to deal with the repercussions of that. Green Arrow had his sidekick become a heroin addict in the 1970s and a Black Green Lantern (Jon Stewart) came about because in the comics the black community didnt think Hal Jordan cared about them.

Then again even in the mindless stories that get put on film you can find some pretty good themes. You for some reason refuse to look at it out of some old man need to act like a young hipster but that doesnt change the fact that it is there Not all of the stories are four color generic stories worthy of Adam West (but yes there were plenty)

Put it this way...comic books are better at telling real stories than say James Bond stories ever were yet I dont see you ripping them too much
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      They do as much as any movie you love or any book that has been written in the past 200 years. (and not nearly as verbose and heavy handed)
                      Right. And Hole = Mozart.
                      Cornell University

Comment

That's for the Future to judge.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          That's for the Future to judge.
                          Not to Handy. To Handy, all art is equal. And if you suggest maybe Hamlet is better than Stephenie Meyer you're a horrible, no good elitist.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Not to Handy. To Handy, all art is equal. And if you suggest maybe Hamlet is better than Stephenie Meyer you're a horrible, no good elitist.
                            Tolstoy....or 50 SHADES DARKER!!!!!
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Tolstoy....or 50 SHADES DARKER!!!!!
                              All the same, apparently. And don't you dare suggest otherwise. That would be being a hipster.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I have never said anything of the kind. Are the voices in Flaggy's head seeping into yours?

I would never say all art is equal, I would say all art is subjective but it certainly isnt equal. I would also say your opinion (or mine for that matter) is no more correct or valid than anyone else's. What motivates us or what we are able to see inside a book, or play or poem or picture is oftentimes unique to us. No one opinion (or even the majority of opinions) is necessarily more correct than another.

It is like I say with music...I may think certain bands are awful and hate their music but I can still say they have talent. Same is true for movies and literature and yes, even comic books.

BTW who the *bleep* is Stephanie Meyer?
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X