• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Sounds boring as hell to me...
    It would.

There will still be plenty of splosions and big racks and paint by numbers plots. No fear.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      No they didnt buy FS1, FS2 Big Ten or Fox News. I am pretty sure they couldnt or they would run into issues in Federal Court. I know Big Ten would have caused issues since ESPN has the rights to Big Ten games not on BTN.

This is definitely going to hurt regional broadcasts though and my guess is hockey takes it in the shorts even harder now. (The Mouse is all in on basketball)

On top of that though I just see this as bad for movies in general. Whats next, after ATT buys Warners they then go after CBS/Viacom? Is NBC/Universal/Comcast gonna merge with Sony? This is getting out of control and they will completely control the marketplace.
      John Rockefeller is spinning in his grave. They broke up Standard Oil over less.

Even Ma Bell picked up their shattered pieces and became strong than before thanks to the lack of oversight.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        The teenage nerd in me in screaming angrily at this.
        There's a period in there. I think he meant: Like the original team. And Jean Grey/Phoenix, Binary, Nightcrawler, Gambit.

Me, I never got into the original X-Men. I was totally a Byrne-Claremont fan.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          The teenage nerd in me in screaming angrily at this.
          No. There is a period in there. The part about the original team has a period at the end. The Original Team is by far my fave. I was never a big New X-Men fan.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            John Rockefeller is spinning in his grave. They broke up Standard Oil over less.

Even Ma Bell picked up their shattered pieces and became strong than before thanks to the lack of oversight.
            Capitalism and a free market are natural enemies, like inequality and democracy.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So Disney bought Fox...outside of the obvious Nerdgasm some will have because now the X-Men and Fantastic Four will be merged in the MCU I dont see anything good about this deal at all. The fact that Disney will now own the Fox Sports Regional Networks pretty much guarantees they will become trash just like ESPN so a lot of the sports I watch will be hurt which really annoys me.

The only good thing about this deal is that Disney will most likely release the Original Star Wars trilogy without the Lucas additions. Other than that I hate stuff like this.
              The Mouse did not get the RSNs. Otherwise the Ocho would come alive.

And the Murdochs get 5% of Disney stock and a seat(s?) on the Board.
              Last edited by joecct; 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It would.

There will still be plenty of splosions and big racks and paint by numbers plots. No fear.
                Uh genius that is what I mean by boring. Your generalizations are weak and make you sound like Rover.

If everything is the same it is boring as heck. Disney makes boiler plate stories that are pretty interchangeable...it is why they are beloved by the masses. I can only take so much before I just start ignoring it. I prefer diversity whether it is in comic movies, artsy fartsy stuff or sci fi. The more the studios become one the less likely you get original stuff.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  The Mouse did not get the RSNs. Otherwise the Ocho would come alive.

And the Murdochs get 5% of Disney stock and a seat(s?) on the Board.
                  Wrong

The sports networks include the YES Network in New York, Prime Ticket and Fox Sports West in Los Angeles, and networks that carry 44 professional teams in Major League Baseball, the NBA and the NHL.
                  More

The deal includes a large portfolio of sports television assets: Sky Sports, Star Sports, and Fox’s 18 regional sports networks (RSNs) across America.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Uh genius that is what I mean by boring. Your generalizations are weak and make you sound like Rover.

If everything is the same it is boring as heck. Disney makes boiler plate stories that are pretty interchangeable...it is why they are beloved by the masses. I can only take so much before I just start ignoring it. I prefer diversity whether it is in comic movies, artsy fartsy stuff or sci fi. The more the studios become one the less likely you get original stuff.
                    The studios don't matter. Blockbusters will never be the best movies. Let Hollywood do what it does best: brainless escapism and the occasional bloated prestige flick. The small outfits take chances, 99% of them flop, but the ones that don't are the masterpieces of every age.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Kids and I have our IMAX tix booked for Sat at 1230 pm local!!!

Comment

So Disney bought Fox...outside of the obvious Nerdgasm some will have because now the X-Men and Fantastic Four will be merged in the MCU I dont see anything good about this deal at all. The fact that Disney will now own the Fox Sports Regional Networks pretty much guarantees they will become trash just like ESPN so a lot of the sports I watch will be hurt which really annoys me.

The only good thing about this deal is that Disney will most likely release the Original Star Wars trilogy without the Lucas additions. Other than that I hate stuff like this.
                        from what I've read, Disney wants the Fox "catalog" of existing shows so that they (Disney) can set itself up as a competitor to Netflix in online streaming. They remove potential material from the Netflix catalog and expand their own catalog at the same time. Disney apparently sees cable delivery as a dying industry and is trying to reposition itself for the future.
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

No they didnt buy FS1, FS2 Big Ten or Fox News. I am pretty sure they couldnt or they would run into issues in Federal Court. I know Big Ten would have caused issues since ESPN has the rights to Big Ten games not on BTN.

This is definitely going to hurt regional broadcasts though and my guess is hockey takes it in the shorts even harder now. (The Mouse is all in on basketball)

On top of that though I just see this as bad for movies in general. Whats next, after ATT buys Warners they then go after CBS/Viacom? Is NBC/Universal/Comcast gonna merge with Sony? This is getting out of control and they will completely control the marketplace.
                          Right. That’s what I was saying but it wasn’t very clear.

Just wait and see what happens when the Dems retake control and institute some much needed regulatory control. I’m hoping we see major breakups on the level of Ma Bell.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Right. That’s what I was saying but it wasn’t very clear.

Just wait and see what happens when the Dems retake control and institute some much needed regulatory control. I’m hoping we see major breakups on the level of Ma Bell.
                            Unless a Bernie style person is the leader you wont see much stopping this. By spinning off FS1 and BTN they are avoiding most of their issues. They can argue the Regional Networks being brought into the fold wont cause a monopoly because there are other regional and national networks that can be used. And we know the cable companies arent going to make a stink over this since Time Warner and Comcast have been doing this exact same thing for years.

The studios will be just like the airlines. As long as there are more than 2 majors no one will really stand in their way. Since Disney isnt going to buy Warners, Sony or Universal they wont be broken up. If there is any fear of it they will just sell off the parts that get in the way.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I can understand why Disney is buying, but what is the motivation for Fox to sell?

Is it merely a difference of opinion over the valuation? (Disney sees it as worth more to own than Fox sees it as worth to keep?)

Or is there something else going on?
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Woah! They got Sky Sports out of the deal?!? Holy **** that is a big *ing deal!
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X