X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    While my short ribs were cooking today, I gave La La Land another shot. It was actually pretty good. A bad love story gone good.

I think 500 Days of Summer was a better version of the story and had better acting, but La La Land had far more style in telling it.

I don't like musicals as a general rule, but this one was good.
    Have you seen Guys and Dolls? I think you would like it. It's heavy on the plot and it's very funny.

Musicals are like anything else: 90% are crap. But the good ones are a lot of fun.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Scorsese and DiCaprio are teaming up to adapt "the killers of the flower moon" for a movie I think for 2019.

Amazing book about a terrible tragedy.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I haven't. I might have to add it to the list. I believe you mentioned it a couple months back when La La Land was last discussed here. I'll give it a shot.

I had to fast forward through the traffic jam opening scene in La La Land (I really don't like entire cities breaking into song and dance). I get why they opened with it, but I had to fast forward if I was going to make it through.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Scorsese and DiCaprio are teaming up to adapt "the killers of the flower moon" for a movie I think for 2019.

Amazing book about a terrible tragedy.
          If it's as ****ty as The Departed ended, I'm out.

Proof positive that five minutes can ruin two hours.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Musicals are like anything else: 90% are crap. But the good ones are a lot of fun.
            I can agree with this. The few musicals I actually like are outstanding (except for Rock Of Ages, but that is SO bad it's great, in a train-wreck sort of way).
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Have you seen Guys and Dolls? I think you would like it. It's heavy on the plot and it's very funny.

And going to a live performance is almost always better than the movie version. We've been season ticket holders to the touring Broadway series (5-6 shows per year) for about 7 years now, and I can count on one hand the number of truly bad shows we've seen. Some have been "meh," but most are really good, even the ones you don't expect.

The awful ones usually have a common denominator. They have former American Idol contestants as leads to try to drum up ticket sales from the casual audience. Always a sign of a weak show.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I haven't. I might have to add it to the list. I believe you mentioned it a couple months back when La La Land was last discussed here. I'll give it a shot.

I had to fast forward through the traffic jam opening scene in La La Land (I really don't like entire cities breaking into song and dance). I get why they opened with it, but I had to fast forward if I was going to make it through.
                IINM you don't really like old movies. Thus you might like "newer" musicals, like Hair, Jesus Chist Superstar, and Godspell. Unfortunately, larger budget musicals since the 70s tend to be, for lack of a nicer word, dreck.

One overlooked gem I loved was the Branaugh version of Love's Labour's Lost. He did it but cutting in Cole Porter songs in over-the-top, ridiculous ways, I think very successfully. A warning, though: a lot of people, even Shakespeare people, really, REALLY, hated it. It also happens to be one of my favorite plays, so that may have helped me.

Others:

Sweeney Todd
                Into the Woods
                Chicago
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Is anyone here using a "Movie Pass"?

Just curious if they have the kinks worked out and how it's going. They have a sale on them for $89 for a year. Seems like a great price.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Guys and Dolls rules. Brando and Sinatra!
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      And going to a live performance is almost always better than the movie version. We've been season ticket holders to the touring Broadway series (5-6 shows per year) for about 7 years now, and I can count on one hand the number of truly bad shows we've seen. Some have been "meh," but most are really good, even the ones you don't expect.

The awful ones usually have a common denominator. They have former American Idol contestants as leads to try to drum up ticket sales from the casual audience. Always a sign of a weak show.
                      This is my first year doing the Broadway series...so far Alladin and Finding Neverland have been top notch!
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        If it's as ****ty as The Departed ended, I'm out.

Proof positive that five minutes can ruin two hours.
                        I loved The Departed. Is it Scorsese's best? Not by a long shot but there was some incredible acting throughout and despite borrowing from infernal affairs the tension was still great stuff imo.

Scorsese is also doing Devil in the white city from what I recall
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          I loved The Departed. Is it Scorsese's best? Not by a long shot but there was some incredible acting throughout and despite borrowing from infernal affairs the tension was still great stuff imo.

Scorsese is also doing Devil in the white city from what I recall
                          I loved 98% of The Departed. The ending absolutely ruined the entire movie for me.
                          Code:

Comment

I saw a movie from 2013 that I enjoyed called Now You See Me, about a group of illusionists who steal money from corporations and give it to their audiences. It was fun, had some enjoyable plot twists which were still good even when telegraphed a bit too obviously.

Nothing profound, a good watch if you like "caper" movies with a strong ensemble cast.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              I saw a movie from 2013 that I enjoyed called Now You See Me, about a group of illusionists who steal money from corporations and give it to their audiences. It was fun, had some enjoyable plot twists which were still good even when telegraphed a bit too obviously.

Nothing profound, a good watch if you like "caper" movies with a strong ensemble cast.
                              I think there may have been a sequel, too.

It was a good idea.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The Departed was ok but the ending is far from the only reason why it wasn't better. I don't typically go off on plot holes but for a movie intending to be that serious you can't have that many major eff ups. There are some superb performances (including Baldwin, Damon and DiCaprio) and one huge dud (Nicholson), and the cinematography was wonderful, but the inexplicable holes and ending just doom it.

Comment

Working...
                                X